NECA Aliens

Started by DerelictShip, Jul 07, 2013, 12:50:59 AM

Author
NECA Aliens (Read 834,930 times)

bobby brown

bobby brown

Well. inflation and import fees aside, it's as good as it gets for the level of detail and size.

Lannard and Kenner would be an option for less breakage and lower price, but with reduced size and less detail.

I am a Hiya guy myself.

Smaller size, less cost. Still highly detailed, but still prone to breakage.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Bullshit, for an extra twenty quid, quality goes up leagues with the overseas manufacturers.

bobby brown

bobby brown

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Dec 07, 2022, 12:45:30 PMBullshit, for an extra twenty quid, quality goes up leagues with the overseas manufacturers.

Yes. for an extra twenty quid. That however, is not the business model Neca has chosen. and it has been a conscious decision.

Figma and Revoltech for instance, Charge like 120$ for a single figure of a pretty small scale. However, the Quality is great, and they are expertly crafted. it's always a compromise.

And ease down on the attitude, please.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Their business model's to trick people into buying twice instead of knocking the cost up fifteen percent and making something that's actually worth it.

Being that their stuff's usually not worth half of what it's charged.

bobby brown

bobby brown

It would be more than 10%. they could do it like Revoltech and charge 120$ per figure.
But then they wouldn't be as commercially widespread. In my country, Neca figures are widely available, but rarely high-end collectibles.

I guess it's because only nerds(I say that with love) Are actively buying expensive collectibles and I guess Neca wants to cast a little wider net. I know plenty of plebs that picked up a Neca because they are relatively cheap and still look cool.

I do not praise their products, I don't buy them myself anymore. But I get it.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Dec 07, 2022, 12:06:44 AMI don't feel $80 is a reasonable price for the quality at all.

Last time I checked, fifteen percent of eighty's twelve, so for $92 you could probably get the Mafex or Mezco stuff or not far from it, in most countries they massively overcharge. In the UK they go for anywhere between £40 to £60 usually.

So that's the vast majority that would be better buying from any other brand.

For a domestic competition comparison point, (or a wider net) Hasbro makes significantly cheaper, better figures of roughly the same scale with Marvel Legends and Star Wars The Black Series.

No two ways about it, NECA's an absolute rip off, ESPECIALLY when it comes to Alien and Predator.

bobby brown

bobby brown

Speak for yourself. Mattel or Hasbro would never do it for me.

And that Mafex alien wasn't that great either. (contrary to my point I guess)

Crazy Rich

Crazy Rich

I'll just say that there's a reason why instead of selling my NECA stuff I just got rid of them at a thrift store instead...

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

£24.00 each. (Less than half what NECA charges)

They annihilate NECA's stuff, sure it's slightly smaller in scale, but c'mon, better paint, better articulation, and never once has any of them broke on me.

bobby brown

bobby brown

Those are prototypes. throw up some pictures of the actual product.

Gridseeker

Gridseeker

Actually I have the Logan figure posted in pictures and though it is smaller, the articulation, paint applications and facial likenesses are superb. If Hasbro gets the Alien/Predator license and do the same, I bet the figures would sell as hot cakes.

SuperiorIronman

SuperiorIronman

I don't doubt they could do it but Alien and Predator need its own home at Hasbro because Hasbro had made some impressive f**k ups lately with its quality. For example the clone helmet they got up or that the Marvel Legends line is releasing a Spider-man with several web accessories but Spider-man can't actually hold any of them making them worthless.

And given Hasbro seems to be weird about giving a figure unique sculpts, we're probably going to be getting most of them generalized.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: bobby brown on Dec 07, 2022, 03:19:55 PMThose are prototypes. throw up some pictures of the actual product.

They actually look even better in hand frankly.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

I'll say it again. With all of McFarlane's articulation upgrades, I'd give them the license. Same scale as Neca so it can already fit in the existing collection, QC is definitely not worse, maybe better. Their monsters always look great, so Alien and Predator would be perfect. They love doing expanded media versions of characters, so great. At the same price as Hasbro or a slight bit more. A lot cheaper then Neca now. I have bought multiple human characters to be used as generic civilians, company men or mercs in my Alien collection.

The only negatives are the lackluster paint sometimes and not all of their human faces are great. Hasbro does have an edge there as of now.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

The pretty lackluster paint, and the limited articulation, and also the weird pre built in poses. (Sideways eyes for everyone!)

Also I would rather the scale went down slightly honestly to Hasbro Marvel Legends type height, it is not like NECA ever made good human characters anyway with either license, and the monsters from NECA will not suffer being slightly oversized.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed