Chinese Edit of Covenant Has No Aliens?

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 06, 2017, 02:40:29 PM

Author
Chinese Edit of Covenant Has No Aliens? (Read 47,292 times)

Ingwar

Ingwar

I think I found Chinese version. Haven't seen whole, just skipped to Alien scenes and it's been butchered. Gonna see all later on.

*snip. We don't allow the sharing of pirated movies or etc here. Please don't share again. Hicks.

Just skipped to the final fight. It looks horrible after censorship. Jesus.

tleilaxu

Just watched the Medbay sequence. f**k that was horrible. My thoughts go out to Chinese fans.

Nukiemorph

Guys, it's not THAT bad, actually...  I just watched the medbay scene and all of the scenes with the xenomorphs.  It cuts around violence and spares the audience some bad CG shots, only dwelling on them for very brief seconds.  The movie still makes sense and I can honestly see some people preferring this cut.

I was worried that much of the movie wouldn't make any damn sense, but they retained just enough to keep the movie coherent.

It sucks that the Chinese have to deal with censorship and I'm very thankful to live in a county that lets me put my eyes on pretty much whatever I want, but I think reports of "cutting the alien out" were exaggerated and probably hurt the box office in China unnecessarily.

Ingwar

Our perception is different because we have seen original cut so we can compare both. Most of Chinese viewers cannot. Thematically it's still the same movie but action sequences are butchered big time. Feel sorry for Chinese moviegoers.

Nukiemorph

As I said, I do feel for them having to put up with censorship in all of the films that are released in their country.  But as far as cuts for violence go, this edit seems pretty standard.

At least you get to see some blood burst from Oram before the alien comes out.  You get the idea of what's happening.  And you see enough of the alien to get that it's present in each scene.

I just got the impression from the reports that the alien was strictly removed for no reason and the whole film wouldn't make sense, that the edits went way beyond cutting for violence, and I don't think that's the really case here.  The editing and pacing aren't quite as masterful in this edit, but I think it's still a watchable film that Chinese audiences shouldn't be deterred from seeing in the theater.

Then if they enjoy it enough to want to see it at home, they should buy a foreign blu-ray or bootleg a foreign cut and be treated to a little extra footage.

markweatherill

I'd really like to know what dialogue changes were made for the Chinese version. Is it subtitled, or dubbed?

Ingwar

Quote from: markweatherill on Jun 29, 2017, 07:28:16 AM
I'd really like to know what dialogue changes were made for the Chinese version. Is it subtitled, or dubbed?

Subtitles.

Gash

Quote from: necrotard on Jun 28, 2017, 07:27:27 PM
It cuts around violence and spares the audience some bad CG shots, only dwelling on them for very brief seconds.

I'm still not convinced there are any bad CGI shots in the film, nothing on the level of Maz Kanata from The Force Awakens anyway.

tleilaxu

Quote from: Gash on Jul 05, 2017, 05:02:40 PM
It cuts around violence and spares the audience some bad CG shots, only dwelling on them for very brief seconds.

I'm still not convinced there are any bad CGI shots in the film, nothing on the level of Maz Kanata from The Force Awakens anyway.
Several shots of the Xeno during the third act are pretty bad, most notably the one where the xenos dorsal tubes clip through the floor as it goes into a vent.

Predaker

Quote from: tleilaxu on Jul 05, 2017, 07:01:31 PM

Several shots of the Xeno during the third act are pretty bad, most notably the one where the xenos dorsal tubes clip through the floor as it goes into a vent.

When I saw it, the tubes folded back as the alien went down. Is there still an issue of clipping?

tleilaxu

Quote from: Predaker on Jul 05, 2017, 07:25:18 PM

When I saw it, the tubes folded back as the alien went down. Is there still an issue of clipping?
Yes there is. They should've just cut the scene short by a couple of seconds. There also the shot where it's moving through the corridor toward a door and Walter closes the door and it turns around. The CGI looks pretty sloppy there too, but the vent clipping is by far the worst. It looks good during the terraforming bay sequence though.

Highland

That's the one that sticks in my head. Also Alien vision looks super low budget. Some slight movement issues on the rescue ship.

The rest is mostly fine, I'd have loved some suit work though, the movie really needed it for some eye candy. An Alien movie without a prop seems empty.

Gash

The dorsal tubes fold in, the only thing that vanishes quickly is a shadow from the legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvTZr50QeG8

Protozoid

Quote from: Gash on Jul 06, 2017, 03:37:14 PM
The dorsal tubes fold in, the only thing that vanishes quickly is a shadow from the legs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvTZr50QeG8
I see the tubes pass through the floor. I watched it several times to be sure. It looks worse and worse the more I look at it. Does Prometheus have any mistakes like that? Or any other major movie of recent years?

SM

SM

Looks like they're folding down to me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed