Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 165,256 times)

[cancerblack]

Yeah but that's not actually the worst part, it's the implication of how stupid everyone else is for not putting the connections together. What with their giant glowing Engineer runes and all and the fact that these ancient ruins are (unfortunately) supposed to be really common.

Local Trouble

I had a feeling this RPG would overreach and turn to shit.

[cancerblack]

And it seems to be the basis of, or at least linked to, most of the current EU, vidya, etc, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 12, 2022, 09:32:00 PMI had a feeling this RPG would overreach and turn to shit.

Yes one page you can ignore means the whole thing's a write off. In a medium designed specifically for that take or leave it approach. Talk about the epitome of throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Local Trouble

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 12, 2022, 09:53:34 PMAnd it seems to be the basis of, or at least linked to, most of the current EU, vidya, etc, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Terrible.  Just awful. :(

BlueMarsalis79

It's perfect for the most part.

I'd prefer it as space Bangkok for sure, but them being half way between us and Engineers' certainly better than them being a completely other civilization, that we bone apparently.

The Alien Universe should be full of dead civilizations and spacefaring cryptids but nothing we can have a conventional war with please.

judge death

Any news on when they will start sending out heart of darkness expansion book? I remember the planned date was early summer but havent seen anything or heard about my preorder, or have anyone here yet received your copy?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Aug 12, 2022, 09:28:40 PMYeah but that's not actually the worst part, it's the implication of how stupid everyone else is for not putting the connections together. What with their giant glowing Engineer runes and all and the fact that these ancient ruins are (unfortunately) supposed to be really common.
If I remember right, some of that is roundabout "studio mandate" kind of stuff, based on what Gaska told me at one point. I might be misremembering, but it was something like that the only way he was even able to include semi-sentient races like the Arcturians/Arctura or whatever was by connecting them to the Engineers for some reason. I can ask him for clarification whenever he's not busy.

Edit-- I asked him, we'll see what happens.

Edit-- got a response:
Short version is there was a studio mandate that the only sentient extraterrestrials are humans and Engineers, and he was told that if he wanted to put them in the book and make them sentient that they'd have to be near-human. Since Engineers made humans, it would stand to reason that they made anything genetically close to humans as well.

Apparently the upcoming Colony expansion will reference the Arcturians and expand on them as well.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 18, 2022, 04:03:22 AMShort version is there was a studio mandate that the only sentient extraterrestrials are humans and Engineers,

What about the inevitable Predator expansion?

Xenomrph

I keep pressuring him for it!

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 18, 2022, 05:33:09 AMI keep pressuring him for it!

Does the RPG commit to David being the creator?

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 18, 2022, 05:35:54 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Aug 18, 2022, 05:33:09 AMI keep pressuring him for it!

Does the RPG commit to David being the creator?
No, it is deliberately vague on the topic of Alien origins so that players can shitcan that nonsense if they choose to.

Wompdonkey

I'm working on a campaign right now that involves a colony that has an Alien hive brewing in the reactor. Pretty standard set-up for the franchise.

The hook of the story however is that there is an undercover Blade Runner on the colony looking for a rogue Synthetic. One of the players will be given the Blade Runner secret backstory while another will be given the rogue Synthetic backstory. The other players are different staff members in the colony. There are also the character archetypes from the core game like Corporate or Mechanic. I think the Blade Runner angle spices up the campaign a little bit.

I've always wanted  Blade Runner to officially cross over with Alien, and if I can't get that then the RPG is perfect for doing this sort of stuff.

Thanks to BlueMarsalis79 for encouraging me to share this idea on this thread.

Cosmic Incubation

Quote from: Wompdonkey on Sep 12, 2022, 07:43:47 PMI'm working on a campaign right now that involves a colony that has an Alien hive brewing in the reactor. Pretty standard set-up for the franchise.

The hook of the story however is that there is an undercover Blade Runner on the colony looking for a rogue Synthetic. One of the players will be given the Blade Runner secret backstory while another will be given the rogue Synthetic backstory. The other players are different staff members in the colony. There are also the character archetypes from the core game like Corporate or Mechanic. I think the Blade Runner angle spices up the campaign a little bit.

I've always wanted  Blade Runner to officially cross over with Alien, and if I can't get that then the RPG is perfect for doing this sort of stuff.

Thanks to BlueMarsalis79 for encouraging me to share this idea on this thread.

Cool idea!
I'm always a sucker for crossovers lol

I haven't delved into the RPG too much, aside from reading some of the lore in the core book, but I love hearing about the creative campaigns people come up with, along with their experiences playing!

Hope to maybe find time and a group to play with someday.

BlueMarsalis79

No worries, you know Free League Publishing's actually doing a Blade Runner RPG soon? So the crossover should be easier for you in practical terms then.

Also I just got word one of my friends in the UK's got Heart Of Darkness, so that should be shipping anyday.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed