Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service"

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 23, 2016, 11:25:49 PM

Author
Blomkamp's Alien 5 is "Innovative, Amazing, Performs Fan Service" (Read 113,254 times)

The Alien Predator

That Alien is playing Oculus Rift.  :laugh:

Nostromo

Nostromo

I just read the story behind conehead Ripley. I remember seeing this the day they announced Blomkamp wanted to make Alien 5. I wanted to pull my hair out.

No idea what is so good about this fanboy director. He sounds as bad as Anderson or worse. I'm so happy Fox canned this shit. I'm sure they saw these pictures and just flicked them across the room.

There's so many different better ways the franchise can go instead of having Ripley and Hicks running around in the same derelict or some other garbage fanboy idea. I might be wrong because I can see a little bit his style of directing fitting into this franchise but it may look a bit like the guy's in A4. I don't know, the pictures don't help either. I see him as too much of a fanboy and didn't enjoy his 2 movies either. Anyhow there's too much conflict with Ridley's ideas and Fox is going to listen to the man, not the fanboy. I guarentee everyone Alien: Covenant is going to be really great.

I think it's best for this franchise, for movies at least, to stay between the timeline of Promtheus & A3 or even further up to AR where not much is know about Xenomorphs to humans. It's really sad starting an Alien movie and everyone knows what they are already..Anyways just trust Ridley...not Ripley lol.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/neill-blomkamps-secret-alien-movie-looks-so-good-were-f-1677082116

Neill Blomkamp's Secret Alien Movie Looks So Good We're Furious

Meredith Woerner

1/02/15 10:40am

Filed to: CONCEPT ART

Guess what? Neill Blomkamp was working on a secret Alien project that included Sigourney Weaver reuniting with Corporal Hicks, and the concept art is gorgeous. But now it's dead, or was never going to be made in the first place, and I'm just going to scream "PROMETHEUS" into a pillow all day until I pass out from lack of air.

Last night, District 9 and Elysium director Blomkamp fired off a round of concept art on his Instagram account. The first image was of a pissed off Xenomorph Queen and had this caption: "Was working on this. Don't think I am anymore. Love it though. #alien #xenomorph." Then he continued to upload a whole lotta beautiful Alien-inspired work onto his account, commenting, "Woulda rocked. Was a mental stroll into the world Ridley Scott created." The idea looks like it took place inside Weyland-Yutani headquarters, which was currently housing the derelict spaceship, and somehow a mangled Hicks reappears (which is a great idea). Ripley can also be seen donning the Space Jockey helmet, and (of course) there's a screamingQueen Xenomorph. It looks great.

The art seems more like Blomkamp's personal pitch for an Alien film, and not something a studio pulled from him. Blomkamp even told one Instagram commenter, "Fox never said no." What could that mean? Did Blomkamp ever actually pitch this to Fox?

An unverified Blomkamp Twitter account fleshed out the backstory a little stating that "they [presumably Fox] didn't really even know I was working on it ha"

So perhaps this was just a fun thing that Blomkamp had been tinkering with for awhile. Honestly, this could all just be really fantastic fan art. That being said, I can completely imagine Fox ignoring this pitch in favor of fanning Ridley Scott's current detour for the Alien franchise into Prometheus world. Because, well, they kind of made that bed and now they have to lay in it.

But how wondrous would it be if a movie that was actually embedded into actual world of this franchise was made? Please make this movie! It's what the people want!

The Derelict Ship has somehow been transported into a gigantic warehouse (presumably inside Weyland Corp).

OH HAI HICKS *falls over on the ground and dies* Actual caption on the image is just "#ripley #hicks"

Inside "Weyland Corp"

Oh shit. Yeah that's Ripley wearing the Space Jockey Pilot mask.

Cut off caption says "Alien Xeno," and "Weyland Yutani headquarters."

"And finally, my home desk #xenomorph"

Life isn't fair.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Jul 26, 2016, 11:26:14 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 26, 2016, 11:05:36 PM
Quote from: Beatnation on Jul 26, 2016, 11:01:31 PM
First off, Ripley, Hicks and Newt all of them die in Alien 3, we got 25 years to get used to it, so deal with it.

I will give Blomhack's Alien 5 a chance if they show he can create a new and frsh take on the franchise with interesting and likeable new characters, instead trying to retcon other movies in favor or stupid wet fan-fiction, what a piece of shit director you must be if you can't tell a good story without reviving those long time dead characters.

Last time I checked the name of the franchise was ALIEN not ELLEN.

No.  Alien 3 was the wrong direction to go in in 1992, and it is just as bad with the passage of time.  It's time to fix the chronology, dump Alien 3 and its bastard child A:R and fix the franchise.

Nah, I'd much rather they dump Alien 5, it sounds like an even bigger bastardization than those films. It's your opinion that it was a wrong direction, to me, it was the right one. Alien 3 is amazing and I even love Resurrection.

Beatnation does have a point, it's been 25 years... can't we stop being bereaved and move on to brand new and interesting chapters? I truthfully think this franchise has so much potential to branch out and introduce new faces. Nothing is sadder than wasted talent and potential... seeing a great series cave in on itself and go "sod it, I give up. Retcon time!"

What's seriously wrong with going past Resurrection? It just boggles my mind. I mean, you can still have Ripley... 8... but she's still Ripley! And we can see more of that further future. Maybe see some new technology humanity developed in those 200 years. Perhaps even see the slow rise of Weyland-Yutani once more as they fix the damage that the Auriga has done to Earth and earns huge public support. Show Colonial Marines again in this setting with more advanced gear.

And we can still have a "passing of the torch" moment as a new lead takes over for an ageing Ripley 8. Speaking of which, the clones were artificially aged, so that means Ripley 8's age won't be something that needs a lot of explaining. It can be literally set a few years after Resurrection or a few decades if the story demands it (explain it as Ripley's advanced biology or maybe she was in a cryotube again)

So many opportunities and possibilities! It's a shame Blomkamp chose a more banal option.

You said it in your first sentence.  This is all opinion.  You want to pin the future of this franchise on the half-baked ideas of Alien 3 and A:R, that's fine.  I don't.  I would say most people don't.  Both Cameron and Scott respect the script of Blomkamp, and with Scott producing the film, I believe we will get something really cool.

But I will agree that we don't need Ripley with Alien headgear.  That opens the door to all sorts of stupid..

SiL

Most people either don't care or are happy to go on from 3 and Resurrection. The pro-forget everything group is just more vocal, which isn't surprising: people who are upset about something are generally more likely to make a fuss than people who are content.

Doggo33

System Apollo:
QuoteIf there is more of them they haven't found them yet. That's why in Alien 3 the company went out of its way to bring an android developer and armed personnel to a prison planet via a transport ship in order to obtain the Alien.
In Resurrection they cloned Ripley and the Alien in order to obtain it.

Yeah but the universe is a big place. Just because they didn't find more doesn't mean there couldn't have been more. id

QuoteIf the timeline were to have Weyland Yutani finding another derelict craft and Colonial Marines trying to fight off Aliens not only would that retcon Resurrection but also make Ripley's sacrifice pointless.

If it were set after 'Alien: Resurrection' or were a secluded incident it wouldn't retcon anything.
And it wouldn't make the sacrifice pointless, just less meaningful. I'm not saying there should be more though. I'm saying there's nothing saying there aren't.

Perfect-Organism:
QuoteRipley isn't being shoehorned into everything.  We're talking about ONE new film with her in it.  The rest of the new films (of which there may be 3!) will not have Ripley.

I think it's completely pointless bringing her back then. The argument for bringing her back is that the series wouldn't work without her. Why would you think it's a better idea than what we already have to bring her back to do a 'passing of the torch' film (Indiana Jones 4... Die Hard 5...) and give her a much less meaningful end. Just keep what there currently is and make more with new characters.

QuoteIn that book, the relationship between our heroes has completely changed and evolved.  And yet it felt natural.

Books and films are different. We're talking about actors here that we're hoping still work together on screen.

QuoteHan Solo's death was much more poignant.  He wasn't killed off in the opening credits.

I disagree. Han Solo was killed later in the film but the death was rather meaningless except in concept. I thought in my head that that might happen and looked forward to the moment but the moment itself rather sucked. There was no dramatic music, Adam Driver's performance was very odd (not in the way it was meant to be), without believable character, Harrison Ford portrayed no emotion or character throughout that movie, and it had no lasting impact afterwards. There was a very brief moment of sadness and the film continued.
Hicks and Newt's deaths however affect the whole of 'Alien 3'. Just because they're killed at the beginning doesn't mean they're irrelevant (granted you didn't say that actually). Their deaths were actually poignant whereas Han Solo's had no effect. I mean it could for future movies. I certainly hope so. But just talking about each movie on its own, Han Solo's had virtually no effect whereas Hicks and Newt's really did.

Kronnang_Dunn:
QuoteRemember The Force Awakens?

I'm not sure what point you were trying to make but yeah and I specifically remember the poor performances of Carrie Hen and Harrison Ford.'

JokersWarPig:
QuoteFan service doesn't automatically equal bad things.

You're right but experience says otherwise.

Nostromo:
QuoteIt's really sad starting an Alien movie and everyone knows what they are already..Anyways just trust Ridley...not Ripley

Not everyone knows. Weyland Yutani sort of knows and the military sort of knows. That's not everyone.
And trust Ridley Scott..!? After 'Prometheus'? Never again. Granted, it's more a fault of the writing than directing but still. That is a deeply flawed movie that he chose to do and failed at doing well.

BishopShouldGo

He had nothing to do with that second picture. And that first picture? She's clearly wearing a suit, not morphing.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 27, 2016, 05:17:11 AM
He had nothing to do with that second picture. And that first picture? She's clearly wearing a suit, not morphing.

She's not "wearing" a suit.  You can tell, the thing goes under her skin on her face.  It's a part of her.

Nostromo

Don't trust Ridley Scott who made Alien and is now expanding the franchise, trust Ripley and half ass directors who made A3 and A4. Sounding like the schills who were sucking err sorry defending the Straus bros and they're fanboy ideas around here. I understand some of you are mostly Pred fans and want to see lasers flying around the screen and other teenage stuff  but this is Alien. Creepy silent horror shit happens around here.

PsyKore

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 26, 2016, 03:05:32 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Jul 26, 2016, 02:31:55 PMNever seen him say AvP is better than A3 or A:R.

"It was actually pretty good. I think of the five Alien films, I'd rate it third. I actually liked it. I actually liked it a lot." - Cameron

From an interview with Ain't It Cool News.

Cheers for that.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 26, 2016, 11:05:36 PMAlien 3 was the wrong direction to go in in 1992, and it is just as bad with the passage of time.

Says who? Fox clearly didn't think so. With the exception of William Gibson's, every single one of the many scripts written for it killed off Hicks and Newt. They were dead in 1989.

Also the film made a ton of money outside America, so plenty of other people didn't think it was "the wrong direction" either.

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jul 27, 2016, 04:18:48 AMYou said it in your first sentence.  This is all opinion.  You want to pin the future of this franchise on the half-baked ideas of Alien 3 and A:R, that's fine.

Other than the Newborn, what ideas exactly were "half-baked" in those two films?

Quote from: PsyKore on Jul 27, 2016, 06:58:01 AMCheers for that.

No worries!

Kronnang_Dunn

Kronnang_Dunn

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Jul 27, 2016, 07:54:25 AM
Says who? Fox clearly didn't think so. With the exception of William Gibson's, every single one of the many scripts written for it killed off Hicks and Newt. They were dead in 1989.

Not quite. One of the several many ideas for new Alien films had Hicks becoming a protagonist along with Ripley. That never happened... but what remained of the concept became the 1988 Aliens: Outbreak comic series by Dark Horse comics...  8)

http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Aliens_(1988_comic_series)

This series (which, by the way, is also considered the most successful comic series set in the Alien universe... like... ever...) had a tremendous positive fan response and its high sales enabled Dark Horse to start its whole Alien and Predator universe comic stories, which eventually led to Alien vs Predator in 1990.

Also the film made a ton of money outside America, so plenty of other people didn't think it was "the wrong direction" either.

Back in 1992, many many people (myself included) came into the cinema just expecting to see Hicks teaming up with Ripley and Newt in Alien 3. The film turned out to be quite the bummer for all of us...  ::)

Quote from: CelticPred97 on Jul 27, 2016, 05:12:20 AM
I'm not sure what point you were trying to make but yeah and I specifically remember the poor performances of Carrie Hen and Harrison Ford.'

It was Carrie Fisher and their acting was spot on (for their characters at least). Not sure what film you watched...  ::)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kronnang_Dunn on Jul 27, 2016, 08:58:54 AM

Not quite. One of the several many ideas for new Alien films had Hicks becoming a protagonist along with Ripley. That never happened... but what remained of the concept became the 1988 Aliens: Outbreak comic series by Dark Horse comics...  8)

Only one incarnation of the Alien 3 scripts had Hicks become the protagonist and that was William Gibson's, the very first attempt. His first draft was completed in 87 with his second and final being done at the start of 88.

I'm don't believe any of that played into Book 1/Outbreak though. I'm pretty sure Verheiden had no idea what was going on with Alien 3.

Kronnang_Dunn

Kronnang_Dunn

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 27, 2016, 09:07:12 AM
I'm don't believe any of that played into Book 1/Outbreak though. I'm pretty sure Verheiden had no idea what was going on with Alien 3.

And yet the success of Outbreak clearly shows that fans really really wanted Hicks and Newt alive...  ::) the whole killing them off was probably a dumb studio thing.  ::)

On a side note... I wonder if Verheiden actually watched this failure of a teaser?  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk_x9W1xKng

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kronnang_Dunn on Jul 27, 2016, 09:13:19 AM
And yet the success of Outbreak clearly shows that fans really really wanted Hicks and Newt alive...  ::) the whole killing them off was probably a dumb studio thing.  ::)

No doubt. They were great characters. Obviously I love Hicks.  :P I just agree with the sentiments that the time for that was back in the 80s/early 90s. Not everything liked Alien 3, obviously. There are many reasons not to like the film, Hicks and Newt's death being one of them. Personally I think it worked well for the tone of the film and the series but that's a whole other argument.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Kronnang_Dunn on Jul 27, 2016, 08:58:54 AMNot quite. One of the several many ideas for new Alien films had Hicks becoming a protagonist along with Ripley.

William Gibson's script was the first of at least five completely distinct stories that were proposed for the third film. Every other one of those killed off at least Hicks and Newt. Some even offed Ripley.

Quote from: Kronnang_Dunn on Jul 27, 2016, 08:58:54 AMThat never happened... but what remained of the concept became the 1988 Aliens: Outbreak comic series by Dark Horse comics...  8)

I know, I've read it. Other than the initial setup, with Hicks being a burn-out and Newt being in an institution, I find it to be a terribly generic and pretty bland story. All it does is rip off plot points and clichés from the (far better) Alien films that preceded it, as well as other movies.

Sure it launched the line, but reading it now in hindsight, the story feels like a paint-by-numbers Alien story.

Quote from: Kronnang_Dunn on Jul 27, 2016, 08:58:54 AMBack in 1992, many many people (myself included) came into the cinema just expecting to see Hicks teaming up with Ripley and Newt in Alien 3.

I'm sure they did. But writing off a movie just because it didn't set up someone's dream little family unit simply strikes me as kinda childish. To me, that sentiment just makes it sound as though the actual artistic merit - good or bad - of the film makes no difference because how dare they kill Hix n' Noot. Well I'm sorry, but there's a hell of a lot more to a film than what happens to two supporting characters who'd arguably fulfilled their arcs. Saying you dislike the film because you think it's crap would be one thing, but I honestly think there are some people who hate it just because of what it did to those two characters, which is incredibly narrow-minded.

They died and it sucked, but I'm not gonna begrudge them for daring to do something different with the characters. I'm certainly not gonna hold onto that grudge for another 25 years :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed