Getting technical about the Nostromo

Started by FenGiddel, Oct 22, 2019, 01:56:56 AM

Author
Getting technical about the Nostromo (Read 5,349 times)

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

A little oasis for kicking around ideas about the technology behind the Nostromo, as depicted in the film and in comments made by the people who conceived the vehicle for the movie. This is not a deck plan/blueprints thread; Graham's Alien: The Blueprints (go buy it!) set the bar for that.

We'll see how it goes...

QUESTION 1: Can the crew enter the refinery complex through the retractable umbilical seen as the Nostromo disengages from the platform?

QUESTION 3: Where does the crew sleep while out of hypersleep?

QUESTION 4: How long does the crew normally spend out of hypersleep?

QUESTION 5: Are those "diapers" the crew wear in hypersleep?

QUESTION 6: What observable effects does hypersleep have on the crew?

QUESTION 8: What is the location of the airlock from which Kane's body is ejected?

QUESTION 9: Is the starboard bow pylon on the forward hull a docking tube?

QUESTION 12: How was Kane moved to the Autodoc (from the airlock)?

QUESTION 15:  (added November 5, 2015)  I was just re-reading one of Alien: Isolation's Nostromo Logs, and looking at the movie again and something caught my eye.

In Nostromo Log 008, Lambert states that Antarctica Traffic Control will get their call on October 22nd, give or take a few hours.  When I looked at the movie, the readout shown as Mother awakens and reviews the flight plan indicates the actual time is "3 JUN" the ship's flight time is "5 NOV".

Add to the mix the flight plan from the 20th anniversary video set: they departed Thedus on 12 June.

Not sure what it all might mean, but if the bunch at Creative Assembly wrote that date in the Log based on either (or both) of the film and special feature dates, it would be interesting to draw extrapolations.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: FenGiddel on Oct 22, 2019, 01:56:56 AM
QUESTION 1: Can the crew enter the refinery complex through the retractable umbilical seen as the Nostromo disengages from the platform?
I'd say no, as it doesn't seem to attach to any kind of entry to the Nostromo. Looks like the only way in or out for the crew is the airlock.

QuoteQUESTION 3: Where does the crew sleep while out of hypersleep?
Probably still just use the beds? I can't see why not.

QuoteQUESTION 4: How long does the crew normally spend out of hypersleep?
The script says they have a week of supplies -- air and food -- but judging by the film, normally probably only hours. When they wake up they immediately prepare for contacting traffic control to land, so presumably they get up, set course, go to sleep, wake up, land.

QuoteQUESTION 5: Are those "diapers" the crew wear in hypersleep?
Depends ;D

QuoteQUESTION 6: What observable effects does hypersleep have on the crew?
Not ageing (as much). ADF said Jonesy died of time-dilation from the lengthy travel in the Aliens novel.

QuoteQUESTION 8: What is the location of the airlock from which Kane's body is ejected?
Somewhere near where the shuttle is by the looks of it. I think they used the same section of hull underside set as when the Narcissus departs.

QuoteQUESTION 9: Is the starboard bow pylon on the forward hull a docking tube?
I always though the pointy bits were antennae.

QuoteQUESTION 12: How was Kane moved to the Autodoc (from the airlock)?
Up the ladders by hand, I'd say. Maybe with a rope?

FenGiddel

Nice responses, SiL; especially for #5.  :D

SM

SM

QuoteQUESTION 1: Can the crew enter the refinery complex through the retractable umbilical seen as the Nostromo disengages from the platform?

Maybe there's a maintenance crawlspace but nothing bigger than that.

QuoteQUESTION 3: Where does the crew sleep while out of hypersleep?

Bunks on b-deck.

QuoteQUESTION 4: How long does the crew normally spend out of hypersleep?

Weeks, possibly a month tops.

QuoteQUESTION 5: Are those "diapers" the crew wear in hypersleep?

Hard to go past what SiL said.

But to expand - possibly not.  If you look at Ripley's hair and nails, they haven't really grown in 57 years, so bodily functions must be close to zero.  So when you factor in Walter giving the crew purgatives in The Last Supper, there's little chance they're going pass anything while they're asleep.  Ditto women having periods.

QuoteQUESTION 6: What observable effects does hypersleep have on the crew?

Hunger.  Disorientation, vomiting and general malaise after long hypersleeps.

QuoteQUESTION 8: What is the location of the airlock from which Kane's body is ejected?

Somewhere aft of the main bow module bit.

QuoteQUESTION 9: Is the starboard bow pylon on the forward hull a docking tube?

Resources feed - fuel/ air/ water.

QuoteQUESTION 12: How was Kane moved to the Autodoc (from the airlock)?

Cargo lift somewhere off screen.

FenGiddel

Nice! Thanks for the input.

FenGiddel

FenGiddel

SM: re: your response "purgatives" above, may I paraphrase Sheriff Brody by saying, "We're gonna need more toilets!" ?

SM

SM

Depends what else Parker's been eating.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed