release date predictions

Started by David, Mar 06, 2021, 12:34:42 PM

Author
release date predictions (Read 9,064 times)

David

David

What is your prediction? Mine is September 2022

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

I don't know... it's so hard to predict. We're not certain if it's intended as a streaming only release, streaming and theatrical combo, or the traditional theatrical release only.

I'll just be happy when May comes along and we get a confirmation that they truly started filming, because it already looks like covid19 pushed this film back a year. :-\

Mr.Turok

Mr.Turok

I can see this come out in 2-3 years. Using Jurassic World: Dominion as a reference, the film began production on February 2020 but COVID put it on a precaution delay on in March 2020, which took 4 months for their lockdown to be lifted, that so the film is now scheduled to release in June 2022, when originally it was supposed to be completed and released on June 2021.

So I can see it go 2 years if everything goes well without any delay or interference of COVID, reshoots, or any other internal affair. Add another year to it if something goes down.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Yeah maybe 2023 is more likely. Later than that would surprise me though.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Mar 06, 2021, 05:50:42 PM
I can see this come out in 2-3 years. Using Jurassic World: Dominion as a reference, the film began production on February 2020 but COVID put it on a precaution delay on in March 2020, which took 4 months for their lockdown to be lifted, that so the film is now scheduled to release in June 2022, when originally it was supposed to be completed and released on June 2021.

So I can see it go 2 years if everything goes well without any delay or interference of COVID, reshoots, or any other internal affair. Add another year to it if something goes down.

Theoretically, if production is delayed 4 months, your theatrical release only needs to be delayed for 4 months. I suspect this has more to do with a theatrical release window... that June Summer slot... and the better place civilization will be when it comes to covid to maximize revenue for such a big budget film. For example Halloween Kills was complete and in the can, but they still bumped it up from October 2020 to October 2021 because of the prime Halloween holiday slot and covid.

But if Skulls is a streaming only release film, and it starts filming in May, I believe we can easily see the finished film in a year around a May 2022 release time frame. :)

David

David

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 06, 2021, 01:48:34 PM
I don't know... it's so hard to predict. We're not certain if it's intended as a streaming only release, streaming and theatrical combo, or the traditional theatrical release only.

I'll just be happy when May comes along and we get a confirmation that they truly started filming, because it already looks like covid19 pushed this film back a year. :-\

I hope that they ll start filming in May too! The Predator was filmed from February to June 2017, with the entire climax being re-written and re-shot in July 2018 following poor test screenings and was finally released September 14 2018. Considering that i still think we can see the movie next year.

Is there any point in releasing it on streaming service? I assume that the gross revenue will be smaller than with the theatrical release. ( I hope that all the covid thing ends this year )

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Yep, we've seen even Marvel movies release 12 months after filming began.

In regards to the point of releasing it exclusively on a streaming service, that occurred long before covid. Think Will Smith's Bright, Sandra Bullock's Bird Box, or Robert DeNiro's The Wizard of Lies off the top of my head. Even Natalie Portman's Annihilation I believe only streamed on Netflix in the U.K. 

So they must have formulas that not only calculate new subscribers but what keeps current subscribers content, that must justify a similar financial return as a theatrical release would for a mid-tier film.

David

David

Lets see then. I hope they (filmmakers) ll get a proper budget.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 08, 2021, 02:37:41 PM
Even Natalie Portman's Annihilation I believe only streamed on Netflix in the U.K. 

Everywhere other than the US, and it had a sabotaged theatrical release there too, thanks to producer/corporate in-fighting. Or so the legend goes.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 08, 2021, 08:39:52 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 08, 2021, 02:37:41 PM
Even Natalie Portman's Annihilation I believe only streamed on Netflix in the U.K. 

Everywhere other than the US, and it had a sabotaged theatrical release there too, thanks to producer/corporate in-fighting. Or so the legend goes.

Ah. So there's more to this story than I was aware of. Interesting!

MudButt

MudButt

I imagine we'll get a Q4 2022 release. Summer shoot, which will last maybe 3 months? I'd think they would wrap in August/September depending on any delays by COVID.

David

David

They will shoot this year.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Unless anything changes re: COVID, they're still on track to shoot May as far as we can tell.

Huggs

Huggs

#ReleaseTheKermitCut.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

I think 2022 is a good bet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed