James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy

Started by Darkoo, Jul 18, 2007, 04:12:35 PM

Author
James Cameron's Avatar Blockbuster-o-logy (Read 710,284 times)

The Ultimate Predator

The Ultimate Predator

Quote from: Ratchetcomand on Oct 13, 2007, 03:50:13 PM
What wrong with Michelle Rodriguez?

She really gets on my nerves when shes in her tough-chick role.

Docta Jekyll

Docta Jekyll

I'm sure Cameron will be able to pull some real acting out of her, I doubt he would even have a stereotypical 'tough chick' in this film anyway

SM

SM

Why would he stop now?

SiL

SiL

He's done it ever since Piranha II and it's never let him down.

Cellien

Cellien

Quote from: The Ultimate Predator on Oct 13, 2007, 04:31:11 PM
Quote from: Ratchetcomand on Oct 13, 2007, 03:50:13 PM
What wrong with Michelle Rodriguez?

She really gets on my nerves when shes in her tough-chick role.

I know what you mean.  It comes across strange.. Haven't seen a movie with her in it in a long time so I can't really put my finger on what it is.

Docta Jekyll

Docta Jekyll

my problem with the tough chick role is that its over done nowadays, it usually comes off as cheesy, not when Cameron does it, but still, it would just feel to cliche' because everybody seems to do that nowadays, and this is supposed to be a film starring Sam Worthington, he's the lead guy, him, Weaver, and Seldana are the leads.

I mean, I could live with Weaver or Seldana doing the tough chick thing a bit, because they are the leads, but having Rodriguez do it would just feel forced

Anomaly

Anomaly

Everyone copies Jim now...  in fiction you always have to keep moving creativity wise or the ripoff artists will bring you down.

Docta Jekyll

Docta Jekyll

exactly, if Cameron really wanted to mix it up, and do something that hasn't been done in a while, he would have NO tough chick characters :D

Gates

Gates

This is getting better by the day... ;D

http://www.worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=6233&count=0

Docta Jekyll

Docta Jekyll

Yeah, that does sound awesome

There was an interview with Joel David Moore a while back, where he talked about how so many movies have their one focus genre, and thats it, they try to have a bit of everything, but it doesnt work, he gave an example of how transformers was a big summer action movie, and although it had a romantic strand to it, it wasn't really done well.

He said that there is a bit of character stuff here, and compared it to the abyss, while also having lord of the rings sized action sequences, and having a romance

basically, he was saying this film has it all, in all of the right proportions, and thats awesome

nukem11

nukem11

I feel a bit sorry for Cameron it seems its always him that's got to experiment with new technology and its always him pushing the boundaries. Filmmakers should be lucky he's still making films and making filmmaking more special for the new comers.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: SiL on Oct 16, 2007, 06:00:37 AM
He's done it ever since Piranha II and it's never let him down.

Not counting the first Terminator, right?  Sarah may display a little survival instinct near the climax of the film, but she's hardly "a stereotypical tough chick". 

I'd also argue against lumping Lindsay Brigman in that mold, too.  She's more of a self-centred bitch than a 'tough chick'  ;)

And while I think of it, Helen Tasker is anything but.  She's a timid little housewife who manages to deal with some very extraordinary situations.  Manages barely.

SM

SM

Yeah but Lindsay starts out tough and it's Bud who makes her realise her potential as a wife.  The woman doesn't have to become tough - she just needs the man to bring about an improvement in her character.

Same with Helen in True Lies.

Uncanny Antman

Uncanny Antman

Quote from: SM on Oct 21, 2007, 02:51:47 AM
The woman doesn't have to become tough - she just needs the man to bring about an improvement in her character.
The improvement thing may be a staple of Cameron's women, but we were speaking of the "stereotypical tough chick"...since when does a man bringing about improvement have anything to do with the S.T.C.?

I'd argue that Vasquez is the only time he has dipped into that area.  All his other 'tough chicks' usually display some form of character that distinguishes them from being merely stereotypical.

And even then, can I really call Vasquez stereotypical when she was practically the template for the type of tough chicks we got for the next 10 or 15 years?  She was a character not often seen in film or TV beforehand.

SM

SM

Well yeah.  Vasquez is the STC (and only one I can think of in Cameron films).  Cameron doesn't have men turning the women into STCs.  He has the men enabling the women to reach their full potential.

Because men are perfect and women are incapable of achieving anything on their own.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed