Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead"

Started by Darkness, Jun 03, 2017, 04:34:16 PM

Author
Neill Blomkamp: "I think [Alien 5] is totally dead" (Read 47,465 times)

newagescamartist

Quote from: Agent on Jun 04, 2017, 12:24:18 PM
@newagescamartist

Pretty predictable answer btw. Expected.

You took the easy route, conveniently missing and not commenting on the stuff which are more crucial/important and instead based your whole post on mine being an "opinion".

Yeah, you can certainly enjoy Ridley's films, but to objectively say that they're good movies (especially Covenant, Prometheus can take a pass) is being ridiculous.

Ridley is talking out of his ass to put it bluntly and he wasn't interested in making an Alien movie "recently" at all. From the latter  alone (and Covenant)  you can infer how much passion he had/has and where it is set.

If it was titled Prometheus, we weren't even going to have this conversation cause I wouldn't care that much about the wasted potential of the franchise. It would still be a mediocre movie at best, regardless though. If it wasn't called Alien I could wave a my hand at it being alternative-prequel stuff (with Alien elements) that was the idea all along.

The retcon of the space jockey being a tall albino human (and making the entire premise human-centric) was bad enough considering what Alien and Aliens were about and what made them great, although, ALTHOUGH, the idea itself and what it was based on was interesting/good and it had potential and something going for it.

We got to see so much of it in Covenant, yeah.

Still that wasn't the original idea of the space jockey and of Alien for that matter. The space jockey is that thing sitting with its chest open, fused to the chair in some freakish Lovecraftian way and the ship itself, remnant of one big old unknown universe which the human race has no understanding of (which makes it scarier) and is better off not tinkering with.

What David (Ridley) did with it? He tinkered with it in the most uninspired/logic deficient way.

With these 2 films, it's getting  painfully clear that Alien is/was a masterpiece cause of the collaboration and effort of the amazing team behind it. Not just R. Scott.

The easy way out? What are even talking about? Saying that Blomkamp is more passionate about the series than Ridley Scott is ridiculous. You can't possibly know that. You didn't like Covenant. That's your right. I'm not going to write multiple paragraphs detailing why I disagree because I have better things to do than argue about the same tired things or why you feel so wronged about the title of a movie. Easy way out, lol. I'm not the one making wild assumptions. This will be my last reply to you on this thread because it's obvious to me that you don't want a discussion, you want an argument. Good day.

Predatorium

Good riddens, Blomkamp make really flat movies with awkward dialogue nowadays and retconning the death of a couple of characters is just so much fan pleasing it's ridiculous. Covenant actually takes the universe somewhere and has made it more interesting. It would just be Friday the 13th series otherwise with characters coming back to life with the same plot over and over. I just hope they don't mess up the connection between the prequels and the original Alien in the end, they gotto explain the derelict somehow or not explain it at all since the aliens David created were different after all.

bb-15

bb-15

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jun 04, 2017, 06:47:48 PM
Quote from: Adorianu on Jun 04, 2017, 05:25:45 PM
426Buddy But you ok with Ridley shitting on lore and his retcon? LMAO

I wasnt terribly happy with davids hand in creating the xeno, but that can still change depending on what happens in the sequel. But otherwise i didnt see anything particularily heinous about it. So yeah i enjoyed AC a lot, gave it a 7.5/10.

AC doesnt invalidate half the series and resurrect dead characters that should stay dead. I would have loved an Alien 5 but we werent getting that anyway, we were getting alien 3.2.

But you don't have to agree and by your "LMAO" comment i dont even expect you to be civil about it.

I pretty much agree.
- The retcons of Ridley (and Spaihts) with "Prometheus" and "Alien Covenant" can be limited and contained in the current franchise.
Even David creating the xenomorph (a bad idea imo) can be fixed by a filmmaker Blu-ray comment or in another Alien movie by a short piece of dialogue. (What kind of dialogue? Something like what's in the "Covenant" novelization.)

Blomkamp's A5 bluntly pushes out 2 Alien movies from the timeline.   
A huge problem imo.

;)

Alive

So...you got scared is what happened...you through you couldn't fit the shoes..and blamed it on politics...shame

PierreVW

Quote from: SM on Jun 04, 2017, 08:51:11 PM
Quote from: PierreVW on Jun 04, 2017, 06:11:15 PM
Quote from: Valaquen on Jun 04, 2017, 11:30:13 AM
I don't understand folk throwing their hats in the air over the news. If you thought Blomkamp's film was going to be bad, then you probably shouldn't fork out your money for it. Fans are not hostages to franchises (though some are happy to make themselves so) and don't have to see or own every film, book, merchandise.

Personally I'm at the stage where I really don't care what they release, Scott's prequel series or a sequel series. Neither will be like ALIEN or ALIENS in terms of quality. I don't see the point in getting emotional about it. I'm not sure how some people can tell others to accept the third film when they cannot abide those same people having a preferred sequel of their own to turn to.

Also kind of tired of Ridley being called the creator of the series. He's not really a sci-fi guy: O'Bannon, Cobb, Shusett all were. They knew Lovecraft. Scott invokes von Daniken. Moebius called him "an enlightened amateur". I think I agree wth that.

I disagree 100%.

A man(Sir Ridley Scott) with 40 years of success in movies ISN'T and amateur.

And BEFORE 1977, that man(Sir Ridley Scott) was the most successful in Ads and commercials.

You're taking "enlightened amateur" out of context.

Well, an Amateur is someone WITHOUT experience.

Sir Ridley Scott has a lot of experience. BEFORE 1977, Sir Ridley worked 15 years in Ads and Commercials. His first Ads were in 1962. Sir Ridley has all of the experiences.

SM

You're still taking it out of the context in regards to science fiction.

Corporal Hicks

I've been in two minds about this project since it looked like it would be coming to be. While I was pretty excited to see Hicks and Ripley back on screen with Pulse Rifles and etc, I wasn't sold on the idea of an alternate timeline. I'm not too sure how I feel  about the prospect of it not being made either, especially as I'm not feeling confident we'll be seeing another Alien film for sometime now.

Whiskeybrewer

If there is a draft of this, i would like to read it, just to see how close it was to What Ridley is doing to the prequels

JohnnyChimpo

I too have always had mixed feelings about this project. Blomkamp was definitely smart with the way he went around getting everyone excited, he hit that retro/nostalgia love that we all can fall victim too. He knows there is still a large part of the fanbase that hates Alien 3 for killing off these characters, and he played up to that.

Logically, I wouldn't like to see this film get made. I'm not for anything that will retcon Alien 3. Resurrection I wouldn't mind losing, because it feels very disconnected to the first 3 films anyway. I'm a massive fan of Aliens, who loved Hicks, and would have liked a better resolution to his character, be that surviving or having a more memorable death - I have zero issue with killing him off, I just take issue to killing him off essentially off screen in the opening credits.

But I reckon the film would only ever be good in our imaginations, in theory. In practice, pensioners Hicks and Ripley running around fighting Xeno's would probably not work out that great. I'm delighted we got to see some of the concept art, and I would love to read a draft of the script, or a novel/graphic novel based on the idea of the film, but I'm also kinda glad its not going to happen either.

Agent

Agent

Quote from: newagescamartist on Jun 04, 2017, 10:15:13 PM

The easy way out? What are even talking about? Saying that Blomkamp is more passionate about the series than Ridley Scott is ridiculous. You can't possibly know that. You didn't like Covenant. That's your right. I'm not going to write multiple paragraphs detailing why I disagree because I have better things to do than argue about the same tired things or why you feel so wronged about the title of a movie. Easy way out, lol. I'm not the one making wild assumptions. This will be my last reply to you on this thread because it's obvious to me that you don't want a discussion, you want an argument. Good day.

Exactly, part of the problem is you don't know what I'm talking about, the other part is the thesis and basis for your posts are thin as ice --->

--->

1st - Can I enjoy covenant (with thrown in passive agressive stuff such as "without being insulted" when I haven't insulted anyone)
2nd - Your post is your opinion

What discussion? We can't have a discussion cause your posts consists of only that instead of backing up your sole announcement of "I liked Covenant". What did you like about it?

Does it have something besides the heavy emphasis on David and the Bladerunner referrences and horror cliches with some interesting stuff thrown in that potentially won't go anywhere, same as the Deacon?

Where are the (interesting) sci-fi designs/sets, trademark for the Alien franchise?

And you're wrong, I enjoyed Covenant to a some extent - 1st half was nothing unseen, but good; good design of the ship; they didn't take the time (or any in the case of the  captain) to develop the crew, yet again. The cast was good/believable.

Ridley is a visioner as I've said in another thread that the direction was top notch, the build up to the backbuster and the scene were done very well. There were other spread here and there, but as whole they were scarce.

2nd half was lacking/rushed, with some (maybe one?) disturbing scene - the Neomorph just standing behind the chick at the fountain. Well done, well shot.

I wrote 6 paragraphs in 5 mins and it is one sided because you basically don't have arguments.

FiorinaFury161

Tonyhartmorph

Tonyhartmorph

"Blomkamp was definitely smart with the way he went around getting everyone excited"

He wasn't smart at all, he acted like an arsehole if you actually think about it for a moment. Now people have the gall to moan about Scott 'taking away' their favourite Aliens movie that doesn't exist? It was all pointless, short sighted, obnoxious and... just plain c**tish behaviour. 

I've got zero respect for the fellow now, he thinks he can wrangle a film together knowing he'll get the rabid online presence of Aliens fans backing him? What a silly twat.

Kel G 426

For decades, the idea of a new Alien 3 was nothing but an impossible dream.  Blomkamp almost made it a reality.  I'm grateful to him for trying and hope he continues to do so.

BonesawT101

I Have yet to see Blomkamp make something that I have enjoyed. So I am very pleased this dreadful idea seems dead and buried.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed