AvPGalaxy Exclusive: Predators Writer Alex Litvak Talks Predators 2 Plans!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Aug 28, 2020, 04:10:17 PM

Author
AvPGalaxy Exclusive: Predators Writer Alex Litvak Talks Predators 2 Plans! (Read 20,638 times)

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

I'm not sure I fully understand the rejection towards the idea of any Predators using genetic augmentation, even if those Predators who do practice this are shunned "pariah" clans. Is anyone willing to share their thoughts on this? What exactly is the part that feels most wrong?

The Predators have long been shown to adorn themselves with the trappings, technology and body parts of their prey. Are trophied genetics all that different to an advanced race? Humans have subcultures who practice transhumanism, wouldn't the Yautja have similar subsects of their own cultures?

Is the detraction some feel more of a visceral reaction? Like a more subtle uncanny valley type revulsion, or something else entirely?

KiramidHead

Frankly, if they can travel through space, they can fiddle with their genetics. At least for me, I don't see the issue.

SuperiorIronman

Them f**kin around with the genetics is fine it all just comes down to framing. Like nothing really makes the Assassin in concept a problem and ultimately when they finally made him he wasn't the issue, it's the second half of The Predator that people take issue with given how much that thing was butchered. But no in concept it's fine.

The genetics was already fine given we've seen them screwing around with Xenomorphs so they have to have some idea on how to mess with it.

SpaceKase

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Aug 29, 2020, 11:25:47 PM
Them f**kin around with the genetics is fine it all just comes down to framing. Like nothing really makes the Assassin in concept a problem and ultimately when they finally made him he wasn't the issue, it's the second half of The Predator that people take issue with given how much that thing was butchered. But no in concept it's fine.

The genetics was already fine given we've seen them screwing around with Xenomorphs so they have to have some idea on how to mess with it.

True, I always assumed that the Aliens used in the first AvP comics were genetically modified by the Yautja to always produce crafty intelligent human-style bugs, regardless of the actual host. This way you always get a challenging hunt instead of dealing with a bunch of random Sheep Aliens or some such .Although I would really like to see a true double horned Rynth Alien sometime; I just love those freaking pokesnoots.

(Bad Blood)

Having them alter their genetics is everything that is wrong with The Predator by Shane Black, what would be the point of being an alien hunter who prides itself on its capacity to hunt if it completely removes the entire point of hunting...the challenge! If you are genetically improving yourself to the point of basically being unstoppable it takes away the challenge predators were after in the first place, in the first movie Jungle Hunter was basically toying with Dutch's team because he could destroy them any time he wanted, it got so easy that in the end instead of just eliminating Dutch, he just takes everything off to fight fairly to make it more challenging, it was not just for honor.

SiL

Quote from: Enjoy on Aug 29, 2020, 12:55:20 AM
I do not care much for the DNA aspect much . Unless for creating game maybe ? Creating a freak to hunt would have been fun maybe.
This makes more sense to me than Predators changing themselves. They're all about the hunt and a challenge; making themselves superior through genetic manipulation is cheating. Make better prey.

Mr.Turok

They nearly had me until the end, as how in the hell can you explain 300 years of progression in the future? Will Royce and Isabelle not pass away at that time? How does being on another planet slow or speed your aging process? Unless they take the Dutch route and upgrade themselves with some Pred DNA, mirroring how the Super Predators practice DNA splicing, I just don't see that ending as plausible.

If anything I rather like the idea of them making it back to earth in 2025 or 2029 and surprise the OWLF Organization with an impressed Dutch approaching them with cigar in mouth, recruiting them both to the organization. Wanna see how Dutch and OWLF react to the existence of a stronger breed of Predator that has no honor code and highly more advanced than their honorable counterparts.

One thing though about the introduction of Colonial Marines and Aliens tie in, it makes me wonder about the OWLF place in the future? I'm very glad that the OWLF makes a stronger and interesting presence in new Predator lore that makes things much more exciting in story telling and it does add that question about their future. Are they still around in 100 or 300 years from now? Disbanded? Do their plans interfere with Weyland Yutani? Will they be the benevolent counterpart to Weyland? Is The Company aware bout OWLF?  I'm curious to see a long lived Dutch observing Weyland activities from behind the scenes, and horrified about the existence of Aliens and Engineers. This man enhanced with long lived Predator DNA is really going to have in interesting future.

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Aug 29, 2020, 11:25:47 PM

Thank you! As with any sapient being with opinions, no one will have the same idea and that can be said for Preds and their views on how the Hunt should be.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Aug 30, 2020, 02:19:22 AM
They nearly had me until the end, as how in the hell can you explain 300 years of progression in the future? Will Royce and Isabelle not pass away at that time? How does being on another planet slow or speed your aging process?

From what was stated, it seems like the Predators abducted Royce and company, kept them frozen for ~300 years, and then thawed them out and the events of Predators happened. Royse would have found out that he spent that long asleep before falling down onto the game preserve until the end of the sequel.

KiramidHead

So in a roundabout way, Black was right about Predators taking place in the future. :laugh:

SpaceKase

Quote from: (Bad Blood) on Aug 30, 2020, 12:26:43 AM
Having them alter their genetics is everything that is wrong with The Predator by Shane Black, what would be the point of being an alien hunter who prides itself on its capacity to hunt if it completely removes the entire point of hunting...the challenge! If you are genetically improving yourself to the point of basically being unstoppable it takes away the challenge predators were after in the first place, in the first movie Jungle Hunter was basically toying with Dutch's team because he could destroy them any time he wanted, it got so easy that in the end instead of just eliminating Dutch, he just takes everything off to fight fairly to make it more challenging, it was not just for honor.

Yeah, I think that's why any clan doing that would be shunned by the more prideful traditional clans. Personal genetic augmentation is perhaps a step too far for other clans to accept culturally, kinda like rich assholes going on "safari" with fully automatic assault rifles and shooting prey from helicopters or something. Some real "Two-Stripes" dishonorable kinda shiz. It certainly happens here and now on Earth, but what indeed is truly the point?

Mr.Turok

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 30, 2020, 02:23:37 AM
From what was stated, it seems like the Predators abducted Royce and company, kept them frozen for ~300 years, and then thawed them out and the events of Predators happened. Royse would have found out that he spent that long asleep before falling down onto the game preserve until the end of the sequel.

What?

So you took some humans, held them for 300 years and then decide to hunt and kill them?

I mean I get that Predators are biologically immortal and can afford that luxury but thats still kind of....idk just doesn't seem right with me somehow. Like as if someone ordered fast food and decided to eat it three days later when you could have eaten it there and now when its fresh. EEeehhhh I feel like thats a bad comparison but its just the closest thing to how I feel about this idea.

Plus, in a selfish sort of way, it kills my idea of including them into Hunting Grounds. I feel like Royce and Isabelle can greatly fill in the info of the hybridizing Super Predator clan, mainly the Assassin Predator, that the OWLF and Stargazer encountered in 2018.

SpaceKase

Quote from: Mr.Turok on Aug 30, 2020, 03:46:20 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 30, 2020, 02:23:37 AM

What?

So you took some humans, held them for 300 years and then decide to hunt and kill them?

I mean I get that Predators are biologically immortal and can afford that luxury but thats still kind of....idk just doesn't seem right with me somehow. Like as if someone ordered fast food and decided to eat it three days later when you could have eaten it there and now when its fresh. EEeehhhh I feel like thats a bad comparison but its just the closest thing to how I feel about this idea.

Plus, in a selfish sort of way, it kills my idea of including them into Hunting Grounds. I feel like Royce and Isabelle can greatly fill in the info of the hybridizing Super Predator clan, mainly the Assassin Predator, that the OWLF and Stargazer encountered in 2018.

I guess it would be more like a big trip to Costco or whatever one's local equivalent might be. Saving cash by buying in bulk sort of thing.

Enjoy

Waking up prey from multiple eras At the same time would be fun.
A nazi with a cowboy and a ninja and so forth

Number13

Quote from: Enjoy on Aug 30, 2020, 05:38:28 AM
Ooh, that's not a bad idea. I love that idea, reminds of a story I had in mind about people from different time periods being forced to fight each other. Though I think that might've been done, I think I saw it somewhere, but it would be an interesting element for Predator.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Number13 on Aug 30, 2020, 12:36:52 PM
Quote from: Enjoy on Aug 30, 2020, 05:38:28 AM
Ooh, that's not a bad idea. I love that idea, reminds of a story I had in mind about people from different time periods being forced to fight each other. Though I think that might've been done, I think I saw it somewhere, but it would be an interesting element for Predator.

I think you're referring to Star Trek: The Original Series: Season 3, Episode 22 "The Savage Curtain"
Air date: March 7, 1969
"Aliens force Captain Kirk and First Officer Spock to join forces with beings who appear to be Abraham Lincoln and Surak to battle villains in a contest between good and evil."

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed