Weaver and Blomkamp on Alien 5

Started by shakermakerman, Feb 26, 2015, 09:12:49 PM

Author
Weaver and Blomkamp on Alien 5 (Read 60,148 times)

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 28, 2015, 10:25:14 PM
Well, people who loved Aliens hated Alien 3, because of the killing. Just like Cameron said, it was a slap on the face. One that we haven't recovered from, yet. The studio owes us that.

I think most people have come around, not necessarily to like the killing of Hicks and Newt (though many do) but to at least accept it.

I was disapointed by it, but then, when I first watched the movie I was 13 and had already had negative internet reactions burnt into my head before going in. After putting it aside and revisiting it on my own terms, I'm actually really happy with the choices -- the ones that aren't dumb, like the egg's placement on the ship -- that went into Alien 3. Killing Hicks and Newt was absolutely necessary for the direction that the film went in. The film is very problematic in a lot of ways, but it also excels in a lot of ways in what it tries to do (it is bleak, depressing, and illuminated with only a faint glimmer of hope -- the ability to stop the Aliens once and for all -- at the end of the tunnel), and it excels in delivering that. On top of that the film is visually striking, dodgy Alien shots aside, and Weaver is perhaps at her best as Ripley in this installment.

I love the movie now, even with everything that is wrong with it. It is the only product that could have come out of the dire position that it was placed in from the moment it was announced, and I respect it for boldly doing something new and different and, even though it has it's problems and divided the audience, mostly excelling in what it set out to do.

That being said, it is, at the end of the day, a movie. A movie that, like the other entries, was put together by a different set of hands than the original, and the film that preceded it, and the film that succeeded it. That's what's made the series so interesting to watch with each installment. They've all blatantly been very different beasts, constructed from very different people going through very different creative processes. And now we're getting that again. And, for me at least, I really don't give a shit if it's a reboot or retcon or what have you. At the end of the day it's another movie, another set of hands, tackling the franchise and leaving his own mark on it. As long as it isn't blatantly "Aliens 2" and it has an identity of it's own it will at least be worth checking out. Hell, maybe it'll even be good. That's something worth hoping for.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 28, 2015, 10:42:06 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 28, 2015, 10:16:30 PM
Most people who liked Aliens wanted the same sort of film again.

I just wanted to see how the next film progressed the story of the four (three and a half?) survivors, didn't matter to me if it stuck to the formula of Aliens or the original or went in a completely different direction tbh. Just wanted a strong story that lived up to the standards set by those first two films and gave the series a satisfactory conclusion. Man, was I disappointed...
THIS.

There are tons of cool new storylines they could have taken the xeno, while keeping the same thriller/action tone from Aliens, rather than a back to basics from Alien 3.
Keeping consistent with the tone doesn't have to mean be the same movie all over again, that's something stupid to say.

Check Alien: Breakout, it feels like the logical progression of the series, it keeps the same tone but is also a big step forward :D

SiL

SiL

Well, people who loved Aliens hated Alien 3, because of the killing. Just like Cameron said, it was a slap on the face. One that we haven't recovered from, yet. The studio owes us that.
Nobody owes you anything.

TheSulaco426

The problems that people seem to bring up about Alien 3 is how they killed off Newt and Hicks and the depressing mood of the film. I personally didnt think that was the films problem at all, I can see how it was a slap in the face to fans of Aliens, but the films greatest strength is how it tells Ripley's end and ultimate sacrifice.  But I think the films problems are with its disjointed script, many scenes do not flow, many of the characters are uninteresting with undeveloped motivations, mystery of the alien itself is not there (it just goes around killing people without the tension the previous films had), and I thought the film was ultimately boring where building atmosphere was replaced with many scenes of talking followed by some inmate being killed.  The assembly cut helps but it mostly works to chip out some plot holes and flesh out some religious aspects of the inmates.  The end is definitely the highlight for me, but the rest of the film couldn't grab me. Not that I dislike the film, I respect it more than I first saw it, but overall the destination is far better than the journey, and that's a shame.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: SiL on Feb 28, 2015, 10:57:56 PM
Nobody owes you anything.
It's obvious there were huge expectations for the movie, Alien 3 shattered that but there's a way all those good wishes can reignite, with Alien 5. We all know it's more than likely gonna be Ripley and Hicks again, so it's a step in the right direction.

Jman

Jman

Alien3 would have much more survival-horror impact if it had been the second film. Maybe the shuttle that Ripley escaped in at the end of the first movie could have crashed on Fury 161. The mutating Kane or Dallas "egg" from the cutscene in Alien could have been carried and hidden aboard the escape shuttle by the Alien. Thus, dog finds egg and another alien (runner) is spawned much the same as the original storyline in A3. Ripley and a couple prisoners survive the runner and kill it. Ripley and the surviving prisoner(s) attempt to return to earth somehow but something goes wrong with the ship, and they end up drifting in space for decades and are found, hence the beginning of Aliens. 
THEN a third film in the shoot-em-up theme of Aliens could have taken place. Ripley finds out that colonies have been set up on LV426, goes there, meets newt, and so on..   Aliens action theme, with hundreds of xenos getting shot up, let the air out of the surviving a single alien scenario. Sort of like a quasi-reshuffling of the chronological order, similar to what some people do with the Star Wars saga.

Valaquen

Valaquen

Quote from: TheSulaco426 on Feb 28, 2015, 11:05:41 PM
The problems that people seem to bring up about Alien 3 is how they killed off Newt and Hicks and the depressing mood of the film. I personally didnt think that was the films problem at all, I can see how it was a slap in the face to fans of Aliens, but the films greatest strength is how it tells Ripley's end and ultimate sacrifice.  But I think the films problems are with its disjointed script, many scenes do not flow, many of the characters are uninteresting with undeveloped motivations, mystery of the alien itself is not there (it just goes around killing people without the tension the previous films had), and I thought the film was ultimately boring where building atmosphere was replaced with many scenes of talking followed by some inmate being killed.  The assembly cut helps but it mostly works to chip out some plot holes and flesh out some religious aspects of the inmates.  The end is definitely the highlight for me, but the rest of the film couldn't grab me. Not that I dislike the film, I respect it more than I first saw it, but overall the destination is far better than the journey, and that's a shame.

Yeah, the film's greatest flaw is not the lack of Newt and Hicks; in fact, by the funeral scene, the film has more than made up for it. The problem is the script - almost all of it, not just the opening credits.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Magegg on Feb 28, 2015, 11:13:46 PM
It's obvious there were huge expectations for the movie, Alien 3 shattered that
And yet still, nobody owes you shit.

FiorinaFury161

Perhaps Alien5 will be about how the egg got on the Sulaco ;D

Jman

Jman

In my recent previous post, the idea of reshuffled order of events happening in the movie series would have allowed much more impact of the Fury161 storyline, since it would have been Alien2 instead, and also allowed Newt, Hicks, and maybe even a few other characters to survive later on. Aliens would then have been the THIRD film in the saga. That would have left another movie starring Newt & Hicks wide open, because I agree that is sucked to see them survive the hell on LV426, only to die at the beginning of A3.  That chronological order of events would also have kept the storyline of Alien Resurrection, where 200 years later scientists get hold of Ripley's blood on Fury161, completely intact. A simple reshuffling would have worked wonders, and made more people happy, in my opinion.

Magegg

Magegg

Quote from: SiL on Feb 28, 2015, 11:18:21 PM
Quote from: Magegg on Feb 28, 2015, 11:13:46 PM
It's obvious there were huge expectations for the movie, Alien 3 shattered that
And yet still, nobody owes you shit.
They owe that to themselves too. It's the studio's fault the Alien (with AvP and everything else included) has never been able to reach high heights like before. Just like what they did when they "killed" the X-Men series for much time with X-Men 3, fortunately they could change that with X-Men: DoFP, now just do the same with Alien.

SiL

SiL

Nobody's owed anything.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Quote from: SiL on Feb 28, 2015, 10:16:30 PM
Most people who liked Aliens wanted the same sort of film again.

Actually, most people were geared up for this...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk_x9W1xKng

From what I remember of those now-ye olde days, many fans (myself included) got the vibe that it would be a cross between both of the first films: Aliens finally making their way to infest Earth with an epic scale of threat from the second, but elements of personal horror/intimacy retained from the first.

It's worth remembering that, in debates about how the third film was received, at the time, the fact that it was so different in tone from that famous official advert very heavily contributed to the general sense of disappointment at the time. People were led to believe it wouldn't feel as desolate and severely limited in scope as it proved to be. We were hoping to see the proverbial shit hit the fan and Ripley's 'if just one of those things makes it to Earth' comment feel like ominous foreshadowing. Yet another relatively self-contained incident just felt superfluous (in terms of the series).

And to this day, that's still the best advert - and modified tag-line - of all the films. :)

If this movie manages to incite even half the atmosphere that trailer managed to, it could be very satisfying.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Mar 01, 2015, 12:49:25 AM
And to this day, that's still the best advert - and modified tag-line - of all the films. :)
Ew. No. Alien still beats it by a mile. The trailer for that film's almost as scary as the film itself.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

The Alien trailer is basically perfect. The sirens, the music, the editing... all around excellent. In all probability my favourite movie trailer.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed