Predator: Hunting Grounds Catch-All Thread

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 07, 2019, 09:39:48 AM

Author
Predator: Hunting Grounds Catch-All Thread (Read 103,621 times)

Kailem

A non-inverted Y axis is the work of Satan himself.

Howcanweexist

Quote from: Kailem on Mar 27, 2020, 05:46:55 PM
A non-inverted Y axis is the work of Satan himself.
Uh... not really.. its just means a no thanks for people who only play using invert mouse

Corporal Hicks

Voodoo Magic

I didn't realize Hunting Grounds has the famous Dutch/Dillon standing arm wrestling!  Kudos to Illfonic on this one. The fan service is off the charts!

Added a gif:

molasar

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 01, 2020, 03:56:20 PM
The fan service is off the charts!

Yes, there is a lot of it used in a good way.

But based on its gameplay mechanics and gameplay loop alone it has become my favorite game of all times too and I did not expect it at all. I just thought that I will be blinded by some fan nostalgia or something to make a proper judgement.

The game just delivers all I want from video games with an exception of proper AI imitating human players, but the industry has started working on it using an AI machine learning technology. So it can change a lot in this aspect in the future.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: molasar on Apr 01, 2020, 04:53:42 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 01, 2020, 03:56:20 PM
The fan service is off the charts!

Yes, there is a lot of it used in a good way.

But based on its gameplay mechanics and gameplay loop alone it has become my favorite game of all times too and I did not expect it at all. I just thought that I will be blinded by some fan nostalgia or something to make a proper judgement.

This could become my favorite game of all time too. Being Predator has something to do with it, as well as capturing so well the 1987 classic film that we love - I can't deny that. But it's also the asymmetric multiplayer game dynamic I'm in love with too. It's why I find F13 so appealing even though I'm no fan of the F13 movies. Give me Halloween or Nightmare on Elm Street anyday over F13. So all of this is making me long for Hunting Grounds, even when I'm playing the recently downloaded Doom Eternal... that might end up being the game of year.

Corporal Hicks

Gemini

I definitely enjoyed the game and put in a fair few sessions of it during the trial weekend, however I'm not quite as keen as some above.

they definitely got the feel and look of the Predator right, controlling it felt so cool and all the key weapons were present and correct- again, feeling just right.

playing as the fire team often ran the risk of feeling like a very generic action shooter- y'know, the ones that gaming have been drowning in during the past few years. especially during the periods where you are engaging more with the AI bad guys rather than the Predator. generic soldiers with no charisma. go to this place, shoot this or find that.
what made it feel different was having to look up vertically into the trees. no other game has that feel where you are having to watch that as much as you are watching the ground for bad guys. it almost opens it up on a whole different axis.
I was also lucky in that the sessions I played felt properly tense at times. run ins with the predator felt really crucial and the rest of the time you are watching your back or getting paranoid. for me this felt like the movies. I also love asymmetrical multiplayer games and thought Friday the 13th was great in that regard.

they just need to make sure it's balanced right, that there's enough to keep you coming back (more levels, and more interesting levels would be essential) but the big thing for me would be giving the fire team some more interesting and engaging missions to do.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Gemini on Apr 15, 2020, 06:39:51 PM
playing as the fire team often ran the risk of feeling like a very generic action shooter- y'know, the ones that gaming have been drowning in during the past few years. especially during the periods where you are engaging more with the AI bad guys rather than the Predator. generic soldiers with no charisma. go to this place, shoot this or find that.

Quotewhat made it feel different was having to look up vertically into the trees. no other game has that feel where you are having to watch that as much as you are watching the ground for bad guys. it almost opens it up on a whole different axis.
I was also lucky in that the sessions I played felt properly tense at times. run ins with the predator felt really crucial and the rest of the time you are watching your back or getting paranoid.

You just described the 1987 film, Gemini!  ;D

Voodoo Magic

5 Things We Love About Predator: Hunting Grounds (& 5 We Don't)
https://gamerant.com/predator-hunting-grounds-best-worst-things/

Corporal Hicks

QuoteAs a teammate, it's hard to tell who is an AI and who is a teammate — there's no distinction.

As Predator, it's even harder, which can make it hard to know who to target.

Unless I'm misremembering, there was a distinction? Other than that, I don't really disagree with this list.

molasar

molasar

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 17, 2020, 06:55:39 AM
QuoteAs a teammate, it's hard to tell who is an AI and who is a teammate — there's no distinction.

As Predator, it's even harder, which can make it hard to know who to target.

Unless I'm misremembering, there was a distinction?

Yes, it was. A red outline for an AI and blue one for a teammate. Also your teammates are shown on mini map. Each one tagged with their own distinctive color and AI as red ones.

Voodoo Magic

As a Predator using thermal vision, from long distances I did experience some difficulty at times identifying and separating AI from Player. Often it was how the players moved was the giveaway. Maybe this was the intention?

Corporal Hicks

Can't make it too easy!

Voodoo Magic

True, true.

I sure don't envy the devs when it comes to balancing!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed