20th Century Fox & Netflix Reportedly Made An Alien vs. Predator Anime! And They Had Interest In More Animated Material!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 29, 2020, 09:07:37 PM

Author
20th Century Fox & Netflix Reportedly Made An Alien vs. Predator Anime! And They Had Interest In More Animated Material! (Read 28,700 times)

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Considering Disney has already "vaulted" the original ALIEN (1979) film as reported last year not surprised. Vaulting is where Disney keeps films with a limited home release or cinema run under lock and key to increase a film's value, as reported by avpgalaxy.
https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=62922.msg2429668#msg2429668

Vaulting also refers to Disney scrapping other related releases, i.e. spin-offs, if they "breach" (what Disney considers) to be quality control. It also extends to.
- Cease and desist orders against independent cinemas showing ALIEN (1979), which happened at my local cinema during a John Hurt tribute not even allowing the press to report Hurt as being in ALIEN. Snowpiercer was shown instead. ::)
- Cease and desist again cosplays or featuring copyrighted art. Heck Disney asked kids doing a Disney fundraiser to hand over $50,000 of charity money raised to avoid legal action

Wouldn't surprise me this rumoured "avp the anime" was shelved as a footnote. Disney owns all of Fox fullstop and doesn't owe copyright or licensing to anyone.

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Mar 07, 2020, 08:40:49 PM
Because of Disney+ then. lol

I'm surprised Netflix didn't get this out of the gate before the Disney take-over. THE PREDATOR got a last yah-hoo and tried proposing an "avp-verse" (with the original avp ending) with the alternate ending set-photos. The makers/producers were selling a marvel-esque set-up, much to the dismay of Shane Black. So he must have lost Directorial and creative control 2/3rds into the project.

SuperiorIronman

From what's known about The Predator's ending was that Arnold was set to show up as Dutch but declined due to it being a smaller role. So when they're all standing there after the Assassin Predator is dead, it's to look at the helicopter he's supposed to arrive in. Arnold couldn't be bothered for a half a day's shoot for the money they offered. I don't even know why they even bother since they keep wanting him for a sequel and he never shows up. It's been almost 30+ years, he's not coming back.
The pod I don't believe was actually made for the scene, I think it was actually made for the Hybrids. It'd make sense since they'd supposed to have been gestating in the pod.
Ripley and Newt got toyed around with and the FX team threw together the Predator killer gauntlet, ultimately going with the Predator killer.

So Fox couldn't have been bothered to pay more money for Arnold and yet had enough money to butcher The Predator in the editing bay. I wouldn't be surprised if they submitted the script with Fox assuring them they could get Arnold and thought they could underpay him again.

I don't even know why bringing Ripley or Newt would set up an AVP universe, Predator already has Aliens due to the trophy wall and in the same movie they reuse Lex's spear. As well as if we couldn't get an alternate sequel with Alien 5, we aren't getting it with The Predator.

SM

Arnie was supposed to show up at the end of Predators too.

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Mar 08, 2020, 02:58:01 PMSo Fox couldn't have been bothered to pay more money for Arnold and yet had enough money to butcher The Predator in the editing bay. I wouldn't be surprised if they submitted the script with Fox assuring them they could get Arnold and thought they could underpay him again.

Fox got "Hydraulx" to do the "predator killer suit" sequence in less than 3 weeks and for far less than an Arnold appearance fee. Hydraulx were the go to guys for secondary CGI effects done quickly and on a budget. People forget the owners are Colin and Gregg Strauss who directed AVP-REQUIEM and despite the hatred they get, they'd also done effects for other mainstream music videos and movies (including Marvel).

My point is an "avp-verse" was so close to being announced and a step closer to an avp reboot. Granted I didn't want THE PREDATOR to be it, but the hype and rumours of AVP3 seemed to overshadow THE PREDATOR itself. We didn't need a so-so sequel we needed a bigger movie announcement.

The Shuriken

So this anime thing is basically stuck in legal limbo?

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: The Shuriken on Mar 09, 2020, 05:31:10 PM
So this anime thing is basically stuck in legal limbo?

Disney would have to buy the avp anime off of Netflix, providing Disney were interested in the first place. Copyright, when transferred between two intellectual copyright holders who are still active and a third party was also involved, it can get messy.

If you know anything about the anime Macross (japan), Robotech (usa) lawsuit between Tatsunoko and Harmony Gold will know how messy things can get, with neither party wanting to foot the bill.

Considering Disney are now restricting mere reshowings of ALIEN in cinemas don't count on it.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Mar 09, 2020, 02:51:00 PM
My point is an "avp-verse" was so close to being announced and a step closer to an avp reboot. Granted I didn't want THE PREDATOR to be it, but the hype and rumours of AVP3 seemed to overshadow THE PREDATOR itself. We didn't need a so-so sequel we needed a bigger movie announcement.

There wasn't any hype or rumours of a third AvP, I'm afraid.

Gr33n M4n

Due to all the legal hoops this might not even happen at all. At least not for a while. There's enough AvP fans for them to make a profit.

AVP-CAPCOM

AVP-CAPCOM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 09, 2020, 06:48:15 PM
Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Mar 09, 2020, 02:51:00 PM

There wasn't any hype or rumours of a third AvP, I'm afraid.

Yes there was.

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=61085.msg2335191#msg2335191

Quote from: Gr33n M4n on Mar 10, 2020, 06:19:11 AM
Due to all the legal hoops this might not even happen at all. At least not for a while. There's enough AvP fans for them to make a profit.

For a live-action, future set film yes, you'd be dumb to think there isn't a box office for AVP. Straight to dvd cgi animations and videogames not so much.

Sadly I think investors are holding out for a Covenant 2 sequel due to the peanut counters going in Ridley's favour.

https://www.the-numbers.com/movies/franchise/Alien#tab=summary

It took 5 years between Prometheus (2012) and Covenant (2017). We're still less than 3 years in.

SiL

That wasn't hype or rumours. It was two alternate endings tacked onto a film at the 11th hour, then scrapped. Hardly got the world abuzz about the possibility of an imminent AvP3.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SiL on Mar 10, 2020, 09:26:10 AM
That wasn't hype or rumours. It was two alternate endings tacked onto a film at the 11th hour, then scrapped. Hardly got the world abuzz about the possibility of an imminent AvP3.

This. If anyone took this to mean an AvP3 was incoming, it was very few and far between and not representative of the majority of the fandom.

SiL

The Shuriken

Quote from: SiL on Mar 10, 2020, 10:55:14 AM
... so does anyone like it or not? ???

*raises hand*

Set on a different planet in the future, add colonial marines, ????, profit.

SiL

I like it too, but FI said nobody liked it, then said what people who liked it liked, and I was confused :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed