Walter Hill Sent Sigourney Weaver a 50-Page Alien 5 Treatment!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 11, 2020, 05:45:25 PM

Author
Walter Hill Sent Sigourney Weaver a 50-Page Alien 5 Treatment! (Read 80,647 times)

Predalien39

I still want to see Blomkamp give it a go, ideally without Ripley though.  Love her, but I agree, let her rest.

marrerom

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 17, 2020, 12:48:24 AM
Quote from: marrerom on Jun 16, 2020, 10:53:48 PM
Either make a straight up sequel to Resurrection or go home. I'm sick of people ignoring continuity so that can make "the true sequel" to Terminator 2  Aliens.

At least, in the case of Terminator when they pulled this, nothing after T2 was worth anything.  ;)

Eh, I maintain that T3 and Salvation are miles better then what when got with Genisys and Dark Fate. Look at the state of the Terminator series now. They kept trying to reset the series with sequels that ignored continuity, and now the franchise is dead like never before.

Richman678

At the least they should hire oats studios for the special effects.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: marrerom on Jun 17, 2020, 03:13:32 AM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 17, 2020, 12:48:24 AM
Quote from: marrerom on Jun 16, 2020, 10:53:48 PM
Either make a straight up sequel to Resurrection or go home. I'm sick of people ignoring continuity so that can make "the true sequel" to Terminator 2  Aliens.

At least, in the case of Terminator when they pulled this, nothing after T2 was worth anything.  ;)

Eh, I maintain that T3 and Salvation are miles better then what when got with Genisys and Dark Fate. Look at the state of the Terminator series now. They kept trying to reset the series with sequels that ignored continuity, and now the franchise is dead like never before.

Dark Fate is the only one post-T2 that felt to me like an actual continuation of the themes of Cameron's two films. I quite liked the film.

Rise of the Machines, Salvation, and Genisys are nigh unwatchable to me. On part with the AVP films. Not a single one of the six proper Alien films have been as bad as any of those Terminator sequels, in my book.

szkoki

Glad most of us even despit the poor treatement of the Aliens characters Alien3 did justice to Ripley's character and closed her story with the xeno.
If they are implying with this dream thing that they want to retcon something ...bad idea to me.

I think a David focused 3rd Alien prequel would be great, Fassbender is one of the greates actors working alive, just give him a good script ffs...however Promi and Covi already undermined the whole story for me.

If they anyway want to continue with Ripley, just use Amanda. But give a bit better story than Isolation as looking for your mother as she might be alive is a false narrative as we already know that only goes one way.

Drukathi

What about Predator? This series of films keeps continuity! And the result is the same as with the Terminator! I want to say for sure - it doesn't matter whether continuity is supported or not. Endless retcons and reboots don't matter - only the quality of the films! And let's be honest - to make the film a quality higher than Alien 3 - the task is quite simple.

SiL

Considering the reaction AR, AvP, AvPR and The Predator had, turns out it's not that simple to make something better than A3.

COOL GUY.

Cool.

Jones The Cat

Agree, this would be great. A sequel to Covenant to finally connect the prequel series to Alien. Two or three sequels to the original franchise would be fantastic. There might be some good ideas to round off the classics in a cool and elegant way.

By the way, the official website of Brandywine Productions has on their landing page a mysterious V. What could this mean?

https://brandywineprod.com/

Drukathi

Quote from: SiL on Jun 17, 2020, 07:59:13 AM
Considering the reaction AR, AvP, AvPR and The Predator had, turns out it's not that simple to make something better than A3.

The reaction is the same. The problem is that Alien 3 was the first. He broke the legs of the franchise. Everything else is just consequences + loss of faith in the franchise.

And I do not think that you can put all these films in one row. Each has advantages and disadvantages. But basically they have Alien 3 quality level. Without development hell, but with the same terrible and poor writing and plot.

Corporal Hicks

szkoki

szkoki

Quote from: Drukathi on Jun 17, 2020, 07:42:57 AM

What about Predator? This series of films keeps continuity! And the result is the same as with the Terminator! I want to say for sure - it doesn't matter whether continuity is supported or not. Endless retcons and reboots don't matter - only the quality of the films! And let's be honest - to make the film a quality higher than Alien 3 - the task is quite simple.

Simple? We havent had such competent movie with such character since that. As for a retcon reboot Sigourney is getting old for an action horror.... let her be, shes is 70.

I would rather retcon Alien Covenant and even Prometheus and let everything be Shaws dream and start of fresh then if we want to go this soap opera style. The cast and crew had potential, the only thing Alien movies lacking is a good writer nowdays.

SiL

Quote from: Drukathi on Jun 17, 2020, 09:04:15 AM
The reaction is the same.
It's very obviously not.

Alien3 Rotten Tomatoes is 44%, The Predator is 32%, AvPR is 12%.

Alien3 IMDb is 6.5/10, The Predator is 5.2/10, AvPR is 4.7.

People clearly think later movies were worse than Alien 3.

Even if you move outside of the franchise, saying "It's easier to do better than Alien3" implies Alien3 is one of the worst movies ever made, which again, is obviously not true.

Just because they may all have problems doesn't mean they're all equally bad.

Drukathi

Quote from: SiL on Jun 17, 2020, 10:48:30 AM
Alien3 Rotten Tomatoes is 44%

Oh well! Alien 3 is definitely the gold standard of the series, which deserves to be part of the canon.

Quote from: SiL on Jun 17, 2020, 10:48:30 AM
It's very obviously not.
AR - 55% Rotten. 6,2 - imdb. Yeah. You can say - "It's obviously not". Without "very".
And no doubt this film is much better than Prometheus (73% rt, 7 - imdb) and Covenant (65% rt, 6.4 imdb).

Don't worry. I understand why many people begin to appreciate him:
1) Because Fincher! This is the stupidest argument I have ever seen.
2) Because it maintains the serious tone and style of the Alien/Aliens.

But all this will not cancel the fact that Alien 3 crippled the entire further franchise.
Alien 3 still in the mediocrity group - yes.

426Buddy

I put Prommy, AC, and A3 on a similar level of enjoyment and quality. AvP, AvPR, and The Predator are much much worse.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed