Alien: Life and Death

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 27, 2016, 11:07:57 AM

Author
Alien: Life and Death (Read 27,065 times)

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

I didn't mind those monkey like creatures at all. Was nice to see a new kind of creature, we just didn't see terribly too much of them or what other kinds of creatures could have been created. I haven't read that series since it first came out so I don't know if I'm forgetting if there was other creatures or not.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Yeah, it's cool to see the creatures some Fire and Stone make some cameo appearances. I wonder if
Spoiler
we'll see Derrick Russel's skeleton in the hive. Keeping an eye out for his glasses!
[close]

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Quote from: XenoZipper on Oct 13, 2016, 06:06:07 AM
Quote from: Ultramorph on Oct 13, 2016, 01:13:41 AM
DH has a short preview of #2. Beware of spoilers!
http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/Previews/29-804?page=0

Yea pretty meh about the artwork. The creatures on the first page look similar to the things we saw in Fire & Stone. I also don't know why I didn't piece this together before but Chris & Jill, that's got to be a reference to the Resident Evil series where most people expected the Chris & Jill characters in that series to hook up but they never did. I could be wrong though, just my thought.

That's a good observation, also how the Black Goo is akin to the biohazards of the Resident Evil series, causing similar mutations. Elden and Francis both remind me of Tyrants in a way.

Also, the Engineer is kind of like the M. X Tyrant from Resident Evil 2. Both are big, chalky white, bald and strong as f**k... and persistent chasers.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Quote from: The Alien Predator on Oct 13, 2016, 03:52:35 PM

Yea pretty meh about the artwork. The creatures on the first page look similar to the things we saw in Fire & Stone. I also don't know why I didn't piece this together before but Chris & Jill, that's got to be a reference to the Resident Evil series where most people expected the Chris & Jill characters in that series to hook up but they never did. I could be wrong though, just my thought.

That's a good observation, also how the Black Goo is akin to the biohazards of the Resident Evil series, causing similar mutations. Elden and Francis both remind me of Tyrants in a way.

Also, the Engineer is kind of like the M. X Tyrant from Resident Evil 2. Both are big, chalky white, bald and strong as f**k... and persistent chasers.

Awesome observation yourself! I never even thought about the Engineers being similar to Mr.X or the black goo being like the biohazards in the game. Nice pull man, nice pull.

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Quote from: XenoZipper on Oct 13, 2016, 05:19:26 PM
Quote from: The Alien Predator on Oct 13, 2016, 03:52:35 PM

Awesome observation yourself! I never even thought about the Engineers being similar to Mr.X or the black goo being like the biohazards in the game. Nice pull man, nice pull.

Thanks!

Someone probably noticed these similarities and thought they'd put in a Chris and Jill as a nod and to see if anyone gets the reference.  :laugh:

While on the topic of RE, Weyland-Yutani is the Alien's version of Umbrella. Only they don't manufacture the bio hazards, they want to get them to manufacture them.

I like these small nods, I liked how Angela in Fire and Stone, especially in Omega looked alot like Lara Croft from Tomb Raider. I think she even used a bow and arrow at one point like the in new Tomb Raider games.

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Another nice pull of Umbrella being similar to WY! Ugh, could you imagine if those 2 companies pulled their resources together? Be worse than Cyberdyne. It's been a long time since I last read Fire & Stone but I'll check it out again to look for the Lara Croft reference! That's really cool. I hope these nods are intentional haha

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

That would be scary indeed! W-Y would probably abandon their search for Aliens as most of the B.O.Ws that Umbrella makes are just as deadly.  :P

As for Angela, it's in her appearance in Omega. When she and Galgo are hunting those strange creatures for food, she has a blue shirt and in general her clothes and hair remind me of the appearance of the new Lara Croft.  :laugh:

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

That's really cool. I'll check Omega in a bit for the Lara shot. All this Resident Evil talk has reminded me I have to finish reading those comics sometime soon too. I got up to RE2 and then started reading something else. I bounce around titles a lot.

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

Rock Shock Pop has a positive review of #2, along with a few new pages. Beware of spoilers.
http://www.rockshockpop.com/forums/content.php?6310-Aliens-Life-And-Death-2

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

I just read #2 on digital. It was a slow burn, but it's clearly setting up for a big conclusion.
Spoiler
This issue reminded me a lot of Predator: Life and Death#1, with the Marines getting read to drop in. The art seems to have solidified a bit, so I think people might like this one more. Although, as someone who didn't mind how Moritat drew the xenos last issue, I didn't love how he drew Ahab here. That last page was great, though! We also got some good character moments in this issue. It was good to see Jill move past where she was last issue. It will be inteteresting to see how her deal with Lorimer plays out.

Overall, I'm liking the character growth we're seeing.

What are your thoughts about Foster and the others on the Juggernaut? My money is on not seeing them again until the Omega issue, where they'll probably overpower the Engineer and rescue the others.
[close]

Nostromo

Nostromo

Here's another review for issue #2, looks a bit high at 8.4/10?? I hope it's that good, we'll see next week..

http://www.geekedoutnation.com/comic-book-review-aliens-life-and-death-2/

Ultramorph

Ultramorph

It's a really solid issue.
Spoiler
The last one was one big action sequence, this slows way down to focus on character stuff. We get a good idea of how all the events have effected the Marines, and see a darker side of Jill, which is interesting. Moritat also draws a really good Marine.
[close]

XenoZipper

XenoZipper

Just finished reading #2. In my opinion, certainly not worth that 8/10 score.

Spoiler
Nothing happened. Just a bunch of talking, the marines go back down to the planet but there was 0 action. I mean none. Not a single shot was fired by anybody the entire issue. I also gotta say, that was some of the worst art I've seen yet. Holy hell did Ahab look like complete shit. Awful art direction. Can read the issue here and see for yourself...
[close]

Cpl. Hicks - Please don't post links to pirate sites.

SM

SM

Why are you persisting with the series?

If there's action it's too quick; if there's taking there's no action.  Is it a masochistic streak?

Nostromo

Nostromo

Lol :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed