DH ‘Announces’ Aliens: Dust to Dust

Started by Ultramorph, Nov 29, 2017, 12:08:15 AM

Author
DH ‘Announces’ Aliens: Dust to Dust (Read 75,784 times)

Still Collating...

I enjoyed this a lot more on the second read. Nice story, art and atmospheric lighting due to the coloring. I agree with Xenomorphine about the mom thing. That's not how you do subtlety and ambiguity. It really went off the rails in that final moment. Looked ridiculous and it made me roll my eyes. That almost ruined the whole comic for me. That was too much.
But the style was nice and I take the visuals very seriously, so that compensated it. In some panels I have mixed feelings on the art but it does feel compatible with the Alien universe in terms of mood so I can appreciate it.

Not bad, other than the mom thing, I liked a lot of the ideas. But I did feel it was rushed. Though that's not a problem I have with this comic only. I believe 6 issues are the perfect number for telling an alien story.

All in all, good. The ideas were better than the execution but it was done well enough for me to appreciate having this addition to the comics. Better than Life and Death certainly, IMO.

Enjoyed the podcast as always.

Nukiemorph

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 27, 2019, 12:45:39 PM
Podcast is up :)

https://www.avpgalaxy.net/2019/03/27/aliens-dust-to-dust-review-avp-galaxy-podcast-83/

There are fans who have a problem with the aliens killing each other in Resurrection?  I agree with Hicks.  It's probably my favorite part of the movie.

As for the ambiguity with the mom alien:
I really feel like the only thing he did to make it ambiguous was the moment where Mom lunges at him.  The whole story makes it clear that she's protecting him except for that one single moment... and it's been screwed up by an art error.  On first read-through, I didn't interpret that scene as Mom attacking Maxon at all.  I figured another alien had popped out, so I completely missed any opportunity to see ambiguity.  This is why I see this art error as kind of a big deal.

I also like to think that perhaps the protective instinct in the Mom alien is warped.  Perhaps she's just extra territorial over him, but ultimately wants to eat or cocoon him.

Kradan

Kradan

Nah, i like Mom's thing and don't care that it lacks ambiguity. I just obssesed with idea of xenos taking psychological traits from their hosts (Big Chap is incarnation of Kane-raper, no doubts)

Also, i'm curious to know: was the one-armed Alien nod to Mondo Pest comic? Sorry, if i miss something

The Old One

The Old One

Negative / I seriously doubt it.

Corporal Hicks

I had completely blanked that from my memory. But I'm with Old One, I doubt it was an intentional callback. We also saw one of the twins lose an arm in Dead Orbit.

Kradan

Kradan

Even with the same (right) arms missed? Hmmm...

I'm gonna to stay suspicious untill the opposite has been proved.

Corporal Hicks

Ask Gabriel? He's on Twitter.

Kradan

But I'm not  :)

Prez

Fantastic Pod... again. Thanks guys. I thoroughly enjoy these. Keep up the great wok.

Xiggz456

Finally had a chance to listen and as usual great podcast fellas, always a fun time! I'd probably score the series 8/10. I'll be holding off on the new podcast until I've seen all the shorts but I'm really looking forward to the Johnnie Christmas interview.

cloverfan98

Are there only four issues to this series?

SM

SM

Yes.  Four is pretty much the standard.

cloverfan98

Ok cool. Comixology has all 4 issues of this and all 5 of the new Alien 3 comic on sale for 99 cents each adn I was debating on getting them now or waiting for the trade paperbacks.

SM

SM

Bargain.  I missed issues 3 and 4 of Alien 3. 

Wweyland

Waiting for the TPB from Amazon for almost two months now. Was supposed to be released on 7 March.
Doesn't look like there are any copies in eBay either.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed