Alien 3 - William Gibson - Lost Screenplay

Started by felix, Jan 14, 2021, 01:24:54 PM

Author
Alien 3 - William Gibson - Lost Screenplay (Read 33,332 times)

skhellter

skhellter

Finished this.

Quite liked it.

My biggest fear going in was that, as an alternative to the darkest film in the series, this would feel like Aliens fan-fic, a happy little fun ride where they blast aliens to kingdom come, etc..et c..

Glad to have been very wrong.

Cadigan made this way darker than the original script and even though tone-wise it still owes a lot to Cameron's film, this is darker than anything that Cameron would dream of putting on screen.
Spoiler
Cameron would never make Hicks mercy kill children. Ever. Hell, that's darker than anything Ripley ever had to do.
[close]

Hicks as a paranoid, PTSD/survivors-guilt ridden mess of a man is probably the very best version of him. And the way Cadigan writes all that out feels honest and (thankfully), free of cheap melodrama.

Solid.

(this has some pretty fun gore too)

In some alternate universe, this was directed by Tony Scott, competitive as f**k, wanting to beat his brother at his own game.

KiramidHead

If Tony Scott directed it the whole movie would be set at sunrise/sunset. :laugh:

skhellter

skhellter

easy to do with the holographic skies (ceilings) at Anchorpoint.

Would have a young Zimmer score too.

Kane's other son

In an alternate universe, Fox got Tony Scott to do a proper, set in another planet Aliens Vs. Predator.

Miguel

Great! :D

Corporal Hicks

I'm currently re-reading, at Chapter 26, and may have missed it, but did the novel ever say

Spoiler
what happened to the Sulaco? It wasn't the one taking Newt back to Gateway like in the script, it was a new ship called the Mona Lisa. So as far as I'm currently aware it's still sat in Anchorpoint's hanger.
[close]

Kradan

Spoiler
Mona Lisa ?  :D
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Gave me Halo flashbacks.

skhellter

skhellter

The more i think about this book the more i like it and its take on Hicks.

All the mutations are easy to explain and the book hints at it.

Spoiler

LV426 was the aliens' first "meeting with mankind"... and the more they "use us", the better they get at finding ways to "reproduce" with us (with each generation).
Queen was already creating a new generation of aliens with new skills over at Acheron before Ripley destroyed her.

When the Queen attacked Bishop, genetic material from this new superior generation got implanted within him....
and things got out of control from that moment on.
[close]

The whole last third seems to work as this mini morality play with Hicks figuring out the role that lying (to self and others) plays in keeping hope alive.
Spoiler
When Hicks lies about the timing of the station blowing up
[close]
And considering Cadigan's personal history that theme.. feels a bit poignant.

Kradan

Is there an audiobook version ?

skhellter

skhellter

no.

And the audible play version with Biehn and Lance Henriksen adapts the 2nd draft by Gibson (fairly different stories).

Kradan

dammit

Engineer

Engineer

Quote from: skhellter on Jan 12, 2022, 03:39:14 PM
no.

And the audible play version with Biehn and Lance Henriksen adapts the 2nd draft by Gibson (fairly different stories).

Yes there is!! I have it, on audible.

skhellter

just to clear things up.

this book by Pat Cadigan adapts gibson's first draft.

the audible play adapts gibson's second draft.

first draft has hundreds of aliens.
second draft only has two aliens.

They're very different stories.

So there's no audiobook version of this novelisation by Cadigan (which was Kradan's question).

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed