Alien Identity - Alien Fan Film

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 14, 2015, 07:57:52 AM

Author
Alien Identity - Alien Fan Film (Read 44,546 times)

Corporal Hicks

I'm looking forward to the campaign. Can't wait to see what goodies they have in store.

Sorry about ours - our last one didn't go so well. Lost half the episode audio and just haven't gotten around to re-doing it. Got 2 interviews/special guests lined up but waiting for dates to sort them.

Burn the Floor

I just got an email update from Sonnet, Identity got Foxed!!  >:(

MrSpaceJockey

Whoa, what does that mean?

Darkness

Darkness

Yeah, I just got the same email. I'm guessing it's because they hired Ricco Ross and Carrie Henn. A step too far. I don't particularly see why they can't do it without them.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Darkness on Jul 15, 2015, 05:12:19 AM
Yeah, I just got the same email. I'm guessing it's because they hired Ricco Ross and Carrie Henn. A step too far. I don't particularly see why they can't do it without them.

It's not due to that. It'll be because the project harkens too close to what Blomkamp is doing. They only generally C&D fan projects when they're similar to something they've got in the works officially.

QuoteThey were worried our storyline would confuse the fans for Alien 5

From their Facebook.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

That sucks.

While I wasn't exactly waiting on bated breath for this, it's never nice to see guys who are clearly passionate about a project get shut down.

Xenomorphine

It's the best possible outcome, IMO, that they planned for this contingency. They have so much professional talent involved that they should be trying to make something independent. It's even possible to make some money for those involved that way.

RakaiThwei

Well.. that just sucks.. I was kind of looking forward to it.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Xenomorphine on Jul 15, 2015, 12:18:01 PM
It's the best possible outcome, IMO, that they planned for this contingency. They have so much professional talent involved that they should be trying to make something independent. It's even possible to make some money for those involved that way.

Yeah, this fan film must have cost quite a few quid so far. So either they should have done like you said, create their own original IP or otherwise have gotten express written permission from Fox before proceeding too far.

QuoteThey were worried our storyline would confuse the fans for Alien 5

I actually thought this might cause confusion and was wondering if they were going to stall the project until after Alien 5's release or whether they were just going to plough ahead with their own story.

Darkness

Darkness

I don't see how it's similar to Blomkamp when we don't even know what the story will be in that. Do you think he will make the script available or give us an outline of what would have actually happened in the film?

All such a shame. Predator Dark Ages, if anything, had a positive effect on Predator, bringing the character back into people's minds. It's all free promotion for Fox.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Darkness on Jul 15, 2015, 05:07:05 PM
I don't see how it's similar to Blomkamp when we don't even know what the story will be in that.

Fox would know Blomkamp's script and I assume they got hold of the Identity script (or a summary) as well.

Ignoring Alien 3 and Newt surviving is already a shared trait between the films.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 15, 2015, 05:16:22 PM
Ignoring Alien 3 and Newt surviving is already a shared trait between the films.

I imagine this is the big thing here. The retcon and survival of the Aliens characters.

DaddyYautja

Quote"They were worried our storyline would confuse the fans for Alien 5."

i hate PR excuses.
Just tell the truth.

XENOMORPHOSIS

XENOMORPHOSIS

Shame to hear this. Honestly they could have gotten away with making this fan film by working on it under the radar, making no announcement, complete it then release it online.

Much like that gritty Power Rangers fan film, the owners of Power Rangers Saban have constantly attempted to have it removed, but it still can be traced online for fans to see if they wish.

Wonder if Fox will file a cease and desists to the maker of Predator Dark Age and have that removed, he should be able to get away with it owing to it being a non profit fan film.

Can I ask the other members here. Concerning the upcoming Neill Blomkamp Alien sequel. How do you think they'll approach the continuity. Will it follow after Alien Resurrection? "I highly doubt it will" or is it likely to discount the vents of Alien 3 following Alien and Aliens. Owing to Blomkamp's comment this is most likely route they're taking.

What approach its the more pleasing?

KEEP IT AS A STRAIGHT UP SEQUEL?
Following Alien Resurrection with Alien 5 but make up for the last movie being a let down by making this new one immensely satisfying and redeeming the series that we'll accept it. "Which a tall order and near to impossible to accomplish."

RETCON ALIEN 3 AND 4 ALTOGETHER?
Or Outright ignoring Alien 3 and Alien Resurrection in the approach of Superman Returns ignoring the vents of Superman 3 & 4.

INTRODUCE TIME TRAVEL? ;:/
Or introducing Time travel and altering timelines, going back to a certain event around the time of Aliens and change the circumstances altering history leading to a whole new timeline.

This would allow an opportunity to retcon Alien 3 and Alien restore the status quo of Aliens, keeping the dynamic of Ripley, Hicks and Newt, something many fans would be satisfied with. But at the same time it comes across as contrived fan wank, essentially a lazy writing cliche.

Although it worked in X-Men Days of Future Past, while not a perfect movie its one of the more well recevied X-Men movies of the series and was a solid blockbuster that also rectified events of the 3rd movie where several characters were killed off. But on the other hand it could turn out like Terminator Genisys and really irritate the fans who are so intrenched with the continuity they don't want to see it messed with.

Which or these options would be the most satisfying.

RakaiThwei

Assuming that the statement of the plots being too similar is indeed true, this leaves me very worried. I'm an Alien 3 supporter and while I don't mind a divergent and alternate continuity, I am worried how Blomkamp is going to approach it now.

I hope that Alien 3 isn't going to be given the Bobby Ewing or Roseanne treatment. That would be the LAST thing the franchise needs. If that happens, if the dream explanation is used in the official product, that would do more harm than good.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed