Neill Blomkamp Q&A: Director talks Alien reboot

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Feb 25, 2015, 03:32:48 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp Q&A: Director talks Alien reboot (Read 23,606 times)

oduodu

ok

i am sold on the man.

hope we don t get another alien 3 - david fincher scenario !!

HuDaFuK

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Feb 25, 2015, 11:43:55 AMYour one-stop Chappie shop: http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=47528.0

Thanks, but I'm actually happy to go in blind. I prefer to do that with movies I'm genuinely curious about.

I'll hit up the thread afterwards though!

Rankles75

Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 25, 2015, 06:01:22 AM
I assume Sigourney would have talked about giving proper closure for Ripley, like she's mentioned in recent interviews. If that's the case, then the movie would have to lead off from Resurrection, wouldn't it?

For me, giving Ripley proper closure would be by retconning Alien 3 and Resurrection. I have less than zero interest in the whole Ripley 8 fiasco...

T Dog

Quote from: Rankles75 on Feb 25, 2015, 12:59:37 PM
Quote from: PsyKore on Feb 25, 2015, 06:01:22 AM
I assume Sigourney would have talked about giving proper closure for Ripley, like she's mentioned in recent interviews. If that's the case, then the movie would have to lead off from Resurrection, wouldn't it?

For me, giving Ripley proper closure would be by retconning Alien 3 and Resurrection. I have less than zero interest in the whole Ripley 8 fiasco...

They already gave Ripley proper closure in Alien 3. Then the suits and Weaver both agreed to bring her back so they could make money. They made their own mess. I hope Blomkamp's movie cleans it up by looking forward and not rewriting past mistakes. I hope he takes the mistakes and twists them into something creatively positive.

LastSurvivor92

Yes! I'm glad Blomkamp stuck to his word on having Sigourney back in the film. It's just a shame that the studio waited 17 years after the 4th Alien film to finaly make a treatment with Ripley in it. I hope they really start pushing into production for the movie. I don't want to wait another 3 or 4 years to see it.

Nightmare Asylum

If I had to guess, I'd put money on 2018. It only took two years after Elysium for Chappie to release, but Chappie is a much smaller movie and was more heavily in pre-production during Elysium's post than this seems to be.

Whatever release plan Fox has for Prometheus 2 is bound to factor in to this as well.

T Dog

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 25, 2015, 06:37:26 PM
If I had to guess, I'd put money on 2018. It only took two years after Elysium for Chappie to release, but Chappie is a much smaller movie and was more heavily in pre-production during Elysium's post than this seems to be.

Whatever release plan Fox has for Prometheus 2 is bound to factor in to this as well.

The good news here though is that a lot of the hard work has already been done!

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 25, 2015, 06:37:26 PM

Lets only hope so. I hope they release Prometheus 2 and Alien 5 within a year or two of each other. I don't know though. I think the film might come out in late 2017. That would be cool.

Adam802

Adam802

Please don't continue from Resurrection.  That movie sucked and is NOT where the story should continue from.  And Ripley 8 was a TERRIBLE character.  I say retcon A3 and A:R, but that's just me. 

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Adam802 on Feb 25, 2015, 07:50:32 PM
Please don't continue from Resurrection.  That movie sucked and is NOT where the story should continue from.  And Ripley 8 was a TERRIBLE character.  I say retcon A3 and A:R, but that's just me.

You might have just gotten your wish.  :-\

SpreadEagleBeagle

I always knew Blomkamp was a hack - a very talanted hack when it comes to designs and Hollywood narratives, but a hack nonetheless. This retcon/reboot thing confirms it.

Trying to eradicate the saving grace of the Alien(s) movies (talking about A3) just to pave the way for uninspiring ALIENS clones is downright sad and disheartening. Movie industry is so lazy and cheap these days. Fortunately for them, ALIENS fans don't care as long as they get their dose of pulse rifles, cannon fodder aliens, mech warriors, colonial marines and of course Hix & N00t!

I'm happy for you guys! Me? Well, this will be the first Alien movie I'm not even remotely interested in watching. Even the AVP movies had me slightly curious. This one? Meh... Reboots/retcons are like a wet blanket.

When is PROMETHEUS 2 supposed to come out btw?

GQSioux

At this point, I'd rather have f**king time travel than flat out IGNORING Alien 3 and Resurrection. At least it would mean Alien 3 still happened. It's the lesser of the two evils.

Local Trouble

I couldn't be happier about this news.

Signed,

David Fincher

Adam802

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 25, 2015, 08:47:14 PM
I always knew Blomkamp was a hack - a very talanted hack when it comes to designs and Hollywood narratives, but a hack nonetheless. This retcon/reboot thing confirms it.

Trying to eradicate the saving grace of the Alien(s) movies (talking about A3) just to pave the way for uninspiring ALIENS clones is downright sad and disheartening. Movie industry is so lazy and cheap these days. Fortunately for them, ALIENS fans don't care as long as they get their dose of pulse rifles, cannon fodder aliens, mech warriors, colonial marines and of course Hix & N00t!

I'm happy for you guys! Me? Well, this will be the first Alien movie I'm not even remotely interested in watching. Even the AVP movies had me slightly curious. This one? Meh... Reboots/retcons are like a wet blanket.

Well let me ask you this:

If ALIENS never got a sequel, and Alien 3 was just finally being made today in 2015, would you have wanted it to go in the direction it did(killing off Hicks, Newt, Bishop, prison planet, etc), or go in a different direction?

xeno-kaname

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Feb 25, 2015, 08:47:14 PM

You say this as if you know any details of the plot. Even if Hicks and Newt come back, the direction the story takes could still be pretty removed from what Aliens was, even if it is in the same "vein" as that movie.

Fact is we don't kniw the plot. If it's an Aliens rehash then yes maybe you won't have interest. But it could still be something else as well.

I'd understand more if the retcon turns you off but right now it just sounds like you've made up your mind about how the movie will turn out and have lost interest without any info on the actual story.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed