New Alien: Covenant Production Still Shows Covenant's Cryo-Storage

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 20, 2016, 02:18:02 PM

Author
New Alien: Covenant Production Still Shows Covenant's Cryo-Storage (Read 16,710 times)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 20, 2016, 04:31:49 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 20, 2016, 03:05:20 PM
Also - has anyone noticed that one of the cryochambers isn't active?

Spoiler
Might be the Captain's (Daniel's husband) one I suppose.

I remember the animated version of this image had a lot of electrical flashing going on, might be during the storm when the Captain dies.

[close]

My thoughts exactly, Eighth.

bobby brown

Abut the inconsistencies of the technological design, People forget the first movies almost came about 30-40 years ago. Tough still rooted in the alien universe, I reckon ridley wants to pursue a more current sci-fi feel. Think about how mad max did this with fury road, Almost like a reboot except it wasn't.

These movies are mostly rooted in the alien world through spirit, and not as much in rock solid continuation, I presume.

Ingwar

I love modern retro style. Cannot stand previous SW I, II and III design. Force Awakens and Rogue One came back to roots with the modern approach. I sincerely hope that Scott will do the same. Even new Blade Runner seems to follow that path. Retro works because it looks real and believable.

bobby brown

Everything Alien did in 79 doesn't work today. Take mothers chamber for instance, or the display screens. Star Wars is differently, because it is a universe on its own, While Alien is trying to portray OUR future.

Don't get me wrong; I LOVE Aliens aesthetics, But Ridley work Beyond style, I think if he is to represent sci-fi it needs to look plausible to him for the current times. And in this regard, the early films we all know and love may just be a little bit dated.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: bobby brown on Dec 20, 2016, 08:38:07 PM
Everything Alien did in 79 doesn't work today. Take mothers chamber for instance, or the display screens. Star Wars is differently, because it is a universe on its own, While Alien is trying to portray OUR future.

Worked fine in Alien: Isolation.

Le Celticant

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 20, 2016, 08:45:34 PM

Exactly, plus it makes more sense in a lot of way.
The LHC may be one of the most advanced thing humanity has technologically achieved, but if you looked at the desk of the workers, you'd surprised to see Facebook and Google have much better headquarter :D

You do with the economy and the fact you must have functional things.
I always loved the "heavy" metal looking of the nostromo and claustrophobic aspect.
It's seems much more adequate to protect against the vaccuum of space especially if you have a large load.

Enoch

Less than 36 hours till the trailer!

motherfather

motherfather

Put it this way. If I had to be using that cryochamber, I'd probably break it in 2 seconds flat.

I suppose it could all be gorilla glass and super sturdy, but it looks not particularly substantial to my eyes. Mind you, I liked the Interstellar cryo chambers because they used water presumably to counteract low gravity and cosmic radiation issues while needing to carry water for the journey anyway.

They've got the space/dimensions right though - battery chicken style - stack em high, sell em cheap.  Im not sure about vertical cryo though. If the covenant has gravity enabled during cryo this would cause lots of problems for the spine given we shrink over a normal day and require a night's horizontal sleep to decompress and return to normal height.

Without gravity, according to nasa/esa, fluid builds in the wrong parts of the body, so unless the cryos are being constantly rotated rotisserie style, that could also be something to consider.

Yes, Im being picky. But I would expect lessons to have been learned and more attention to science than Prometheus.

NickisSmart

"It's a movie." --Ridley Scott.

SM

Looked fine in Alien: Isolation.  Brilliant even.  But realistically, Amanda would've been retuning doors with some kind of touch screen rather than monochrome with 8 bit graphics.

Scorpio

I knew it, these cryotubes are like in Ark in Space:

Xeno:

Fifield mutant:

And yeah, Elizabeth Shaw.

Ridley worked for the BBC and almost designed the Daleks as well.

Quote from: SM on Dec 20, 2016, 09:59:30 PM

Looked fine in Alien: Isolation.  Brilliant even.  But realistically, Amanda would've been retuning doors with some kind of touch screen rather than monochrome with 8 bit graphics.

Yeah but touch screens are lame.  :P

Le Celticant

Quote from: SM on Dec 20, 2016, 09:59:30 PM

I always had in mind they were running all stuff on very low consuming power OS.
Something like Linux based terrible with graphics but very efficient.
Touch screen makes more sense though, especially for safety of not having a button/switch down-off.

Xenomorphine

Interesting observations, Motherfather.

Gravity has always been an issue in the films which hasn't really been touched on. They're clearly able to induce an artificial gravity field, yet always use some kind of rocket thruster to produce actual momentum for ships.

DorkiDori

DorkiDori

Hasnt it been explained by Ridley already that the tech on the Nostromo was much lower on the food chain due to it being a mining/cargo hauling ship? Pretty sure that was mentioned when asked why the Prometheus was light years in technology past the Nostromo, with them only being 80 odd years apart.

Also, I believe it also came up as an explanation for the tech shown in Alien: Isolation too...

Im assuming a terraforming ship like the Covenant would have much higher technology in certain areas due to it, you know, carrying a large chunk of people who need to be healthy when theyre thawed out... As well as science tech that would allow for "modern" (at the time of Covenant) comforts and tooling.

Just saying...

NickisSmart

I've spent an entire semester studying the aesthetics and motives of science fiction texts (visual or orthographic). I would have to disagree with you on its representation being our future. It may have been the future in the mind of a 1970s filmmaker or artist, but it is still an imagined
"future of one moment of what is now our own past" (Jameson 151). Of course, Jameson is talking about Utopian writings of science fiction, but according to him, we have "[a] constitutional inability to imagine Utopia itself" (153) but in the same article, extends this logic to Dystopian concepts:

"All of this can be said in another way by showing that, if Soviet images of Utopia are ideological, our own characteristically Western images of dystopia are no less so, and fraught with equally virulent contradictions [...] Orwell's novel [1984] indeed, set out explicitly to dramatize the tyrannical omnipotence of a bureaucratic elite, with its perfected and omnipresent technological control [...] to show how, without freedom of thought, no science or scientific progress is possible, a thesis vividly reinforced by images of squalor and decaying buildings. The contradiction lies of course in the logical impossibility of reconciling these two propositions: if science and technological mastery are now hampered by the lack of freedom, the absolute technological power of the dystopian bureaucracy vanishes along with it and "totalitarianism" ceases to be a dystopia in Orwell's sense. Or the reverse: if these Stalinist masters dispose of some perfected scientific and technological power, then genuine freedom of inquiry must exist somewhere within this state, which was precisely- what was not to have been demonstrated" (155-6).

In regards to Alien's so-called envisioning of our future, Jameson would argue
"...These visions are themselves now historical and dated-streamlined cities of the future on peeling murals-while our lived experience of our greatest metropolises is one of urban decay and blight. That particular Utopian future has in other words turned out to have been merely the future of one moment of what is now our own past.
   In reality, the relationship of this form of representation, this specific narrative apparatus, to its ostensible content-the future-has always been more complex than this. For the apparent realism, or representationality, of SF has concealed another, far more complex temporal structure: not to give us "images" of the future [...] but rather to defamiliarize and restructure our experience of our own present" (151).

In other words, there is no "future" in what Alien shows us. It is not a crystal ball in that sense. It reveals something in our own present that we cannot ordinarily see: "Elaborate strategies of indirection are therefore necessary if we are somehow to break through our monadic insulation and to "experience," for some first and real time, this 'present,' which is after all all we have" (151).

Works Cited
Jameson, Fredric. "Progress Versus Utopia; Or, Can We Imagine the Future?" Science Fiction Studies, vol. 9, no. 2, 1982, pp. 147-158.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed