Prometheus Footage Screening and Q&A

Started by shamash, Apr 10, 2012, 10:37:23 AM

Author
Prometheus Footage Screening and Q&A (Read 70,541 times)

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 12, 2012, 09:51:36 PM
119 minutes is 2 hours and 20 minutes...

Ehhhhh.......

Prime113

Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 12, 2012, 09:53:38 PM
Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 12, 2012, 09:51:36 PM
119 minutes is 2 hours and 20 minutes...

Ehhhhh.......

Exactly what I was thinking. But, maybe he was adding in the previews and such.

Michael Harper

Quote from: Le Celticant on Apr 12, 2012, 09:40:12 PM
ALIEN when it was re-released in france as its director's cut version was PG-13...
Time have changed and it's not like both ALIEN & ALIENS were ULTRA GORE.
In fact it wasn't at all, the only scene I can see pretty bloody is the chestburster but everything else was off screen and too quick and didn't spoil much.

I was actually watching Alien a week ago with a friend, and we both noted how if this was a new film release in this day-and-age, other than the chestbursting scene (mainly due to the gore) that no way would Alien be a solid R-Rating. There is barely any bad language, or any nudity, and the only violence comes from the Alien itself and from Ash.

Wasn't Ridley's Robin Hood a PG-13? And, that had a nice amount of violence in it - without being gory, and let's face it - except for that single scene that is remotely gory is the chestbursting scene, as you stated.

Ridley will make sure he releases the film that he wants to release. There's no way someone like Ridley Scott would just release the film, trimmed down to his distaste just to make money. The film will be great - I have faith :)

NGR01

NGR01

Seriously people are suprised that the R cut was not selected?
Come on from the moment that Scott started to avoid the question by not giving a straight answer it was done.
Seriously you think Rothman will go with "yeah released the R even if we lose money it's so good it's worth it"

Also 2 hours of a shitty movie can be very long.
3 hours of a great movie can pass like flash.
It's the content that counts.

Le Celticant

Just to explain a bit about the "17 minutes cut" which many people did not get.
I've seen the interview (and I'm french if you wonder) and I think according to what Ridley tried to say was:
He did an error in the early stage of editing by removing 17 minutes of the film and noticed it was too short and lacked of some things so he decided to do changes to give us a "very good version for the theatrical release".

So it's not 17 minutes that has been cut, it is probably less since he mentioned that the version of this editing was a bit too rushed and then later he modified it (so he may have extended it) to give us the final version we'll get.

Zenzucht

The narrative of Spartacus is pure pain for me, although I love Peter Ustinov's performance.

Predaker

ALIEN when it was re-released in france as its director's cut version was PG-13...
In fact it wasn't at all, the only scene I can see pretty bloody is the chestburster but everything else was off screen and too quick and didn't spoil much.

So I don't really see the problem since most of the time a film that is planned as R-rated MUST aim to an audience that wants R-rated things (SAW, AVP REQUIEM, PIRANHA, CHAINSAW MASSACRE, etc.) and I ABSOLUTELY don't want Prometheus to turns to be like this.

But if you do, it's fine, I mean we all want another AVP requiem, right?  :D
This isn't about adding more blood, gore, and dirty language. It's about combining violent and sexual imagery together, mixing in a way that raises more questions than answers. These are adult themes.

Flailing about like a madman, squirting blood, and dropping "F" bombs is more PG-13 adolescent material to me. Prometheus should deal with adult themes of violent and sexual imagery mixed together to draw a sense of dread and bewilderment from the audience. Making the audience exit their comfort zone (for 119 minutes)

Glaive

Quote from: Predaker on Apr 12, 2012, 10:24:55 PM

So I don't really see the problem since most of the time a film that is planned as R-rated MUST aim to an audience that wants R-rated things (SAW, AVP REQUIEM, PIRANHA, CHAINSAW MASSACRE, etc.) and I ABSOLUTELY don't want Prometheus to turns to be like this.

This isn't about adding more blood, gore, and dirty language. It's about combining violent and sexual imagery together, mixing in a way that raises more questions than answers. These are adult themes.

Flailing about like a madman, squirting blood, and dropping "F" bombs is more PG-13 adolescent material to me. Prometheus should deal with adult themes of violent and sexual imagery mixed together to draw a sense of dread and bewilderment from the audience. Making the audience exit their comfort zone (for 119 minutes)

Nice to know YOU know how it should be...

Le Celticant

Le Celticant

Don't think that studios & producer are stupid.
They sell you product and usually when you do, you want to sell it well.  ::)

Back in 1979, it was possible.
Nowadays, it's not.

When you do a R-rated nowadays, you must have nudity (usually a chick with a sex scene) you must have a lot of gore and it must be about teenagers most of the time because THAT IS THE AUDIENCE AIM AT.
And this is the audience aim at because that's the people who GO SEE a r-rated film because they've just turned 18 or have since a few year and don't usually pay attention to a lot of artistic content but rather want to shut their brain off and have a good entertainment.

Don't think that producers & studios are stupid.
They have to sell a product and when you do sell it, you want it to sell it well so you can continue to produce.

QuoteThis isn't about adding more blood, gore, and dirty language. It's about combining violent and sexual imagery together, mixing in a way that raises more questions than answers. These are adult themes.

And by the way, it's not the sexual meaning & the violence which would make Prometheus a R-rated.
At least not the one we see in ALIEN.  ::)
Even in their time they couldn't make the rape of lambert.

ThisBethesdaSea

Lol....whoops...my bad talk about dumb math skills..obviously that's one hour and 59 minutes....hehehehehe.....;) ;) I'll own that! :)

Glaive

Glaive

...interesting...

Predaker

Quote from: Glaive on Apr 12, 2012, 10:29:40 PM

Nice to know YOU know how it should be...
If you think it should be more like the first AvP movie (PG-13) I have no issue with that. I prefer to see it shown in a different light, however. My personal opinion, nothing more and nothing less.

ThisBethesdaSea

Didn't Ridley mention that the creatures in Prometheus would do perverse things? I would imagine that level of sexuality which may translate to bestiality would not sit well with the fraking MPAA....they are a corrupt engine to the core. It's all about money.

Predaker

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Apr 12, 2012, 10:42:50 PM
Didn't Ridley mention that the creatures in Prometheus would do perverse things? I would imagine that level of sexuality which may translate to bestiality would not sit well with the fraking MPAA....they are a corrupt engine to the core. It's all about money.
Exactly. Such scenes don't require F-bombs or blood and guts to make it rated-R content.

"What now? Let me tell you what now. I'ma call a couple of hard, pipe-hittin' n****s to go to work on homes here with a pair of pliers and a blowtorch. You hear me talkin' hillbilly boy? I ain't through with you by damn sight. I'ma get medieval on your ass."

- Marsellus Wallace

Byohzrd

i dont understand all of the fuss about the rating, so what theres not much more gore, its not like the entire plot is going to hinge on the rating. its not 'watered down' or 'kid-ified' or anything of the sort, its the same film.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed