The future of the Alien vs. Predator franchise

Started by The Cruentus, Aug 20, 2018, 08:14:45 PM

Do you think they should make another AVP film?

Yes, continuing from the previous films.
Yes, but disregarding the previous AVP films (New continuity)
No, they should be kept seperate.
No, the  AVP movies messed up the franchise.
Not sure/maybe.
Author
The future of the Alien vs. Predator franchise (Read 23,155 times)

The Cruentus

Yeah even the first films had some plausibilty issues, though I read somewhere about how atmosphere expulsion may not be as powerful as one would believe, I think its to do with how much atmosphere there is and how big the breach is. I don't know for sure, not exactly an expert in space.  :laugh:

Quote from: D88M on Aug 23, 2018, 08:28:10 PM
Maybe a middle-budget would be better, but i think is obvious that if someone makes a AVP movie should do it as old school as possible, animatronics and suits, going for little to almost none CGI, at least is how i would do it if given the chance, and for that a high budget is needed.

Black is putting stuff like the shurikens and Lex spear in the movie, and if i am remembering right he is gonna reference all previous Predator movies and the AVP movies, that is what has my expectations for this movie really low, because is an awful idea to turn the AVP movies into canon.

I don't mind cgi, as long as its not saturated in it or overused, practical effects can be done well and I would prefer that to be the primary method of special effects.

I don't think we need to worry about AVP being canon, reusing weapons and concepts doesn't really make the movies canon, it is more like salvaging the interesting things from those movies. That said, worse case scenario that it is: it would only be canon on the Predator side since we know the Alien franchise is now seperate thanks to covenant.

The Old One

The Old One

It was separate since Weyland Corporation was founded in 2012, as we found out due to Prometheus.

The Cruentus

True but Covenant was the final nail in the coffin.
With Promethues there was still some who thought it was still connected to AVP because the only contradiction was the company and the founder.

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 24, 2018, 09:37:19 AM
With Prometheus there was still some who thought it was still connected to AVP because the only contradiction was the company and the founder.

They were wrong. That's not a minor contradiction, it's a major and intentional one.

Even if someone down the line were to retcon David being the first creator of the Alien;
the existence of Prometheus still keeps them separate.

Wysps

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 23, 2018, 11:32:14 PM
Yeah even the first films had some plausibilty issues, though I read somewhere about how atmosphere expulsion may not be as powerful as one would believe, I think its to do with how much atmosphere there is and how big the breach is. I don't know for sure, not exactly an expert in space.  :laugh:

Quote from: D88M on Aug 23, 2018, 08:28:10 PM
Maybe a middle-budget would be better, but i think is obvious that if someone makes a AVP movie should do it as old school as possible, animatronics and suits, going for little to almost none CGI, at least is how i would do it if given the chance, and for that a high budget is needed.

Black is putting stuff like the shurikens and Lex spear in the movie, and if i am remembering right he is gonna reference all previous Predator movies and the AVP movies, that is what has my expectations for this movie really low, because is an awful idea to turn the AVP movies into canon.

I don't mind cgi, as long as its not saturated in it or overused, practical effects can be done well and I would prefer that to be the primary method of special effects.

I don't think we need to worry about AVP being canon, reusing weapons and concepts doesn't really make the movies canon, it is more like salvaging the interesting things from those movies. That said, worse case scenario that it is: it would only be canon on the Predator side since we know the Alien franchise is now seperate thanks to covenant.

Agreed.  Props re-appearing in Predator films can probably be viewed more as "easter eggs", unless a character directly makes reference to any of the happenings or characters involved in those films.  I would think any additional movie at this point would start fresh, without the previous AvP's in mind.  They were forgettable enough for non-fans to not care about them being excluded from the continuity, and unpopular enough for most fans (not me) to demand a new beginning.  I just don't see any future AvP movie picking up where the previous ones left.

The Cruentus

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 24, 2018, 01:03:20 PM
Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 24, 2018, 09:37:19 AM
With Prometheus there was still some who thought it was still connected to AVP because the only contradiction was the company and the founder.

They were wrong. That's not a minor contradiction, it's a major and intentional one.

Oh I know, but try telling that to some folks, in fact we had one person on the wiki trying to connect it all by saying Peter Weyland was Charles' son :P

RakaiThwei

I would love to see a soft-reboot of the AVP franchise... Keep the first AVP in mind, and as much as I love Requiem-- I would think it would work better without really continuing where Requiem was going but keep some elements which it introduced, such as the Predator homeworld. Have it set in the future which is closer to the Alien timeline. Ignore PREDATORS, The Predator, and of course the Prometheus/Covenant films... and so something which was closer to the original comics while honoring Predator, Predator 2 and AVP, as well as the Alien films. No Super Predators, no Ultimate Predators, No Engineers...

But thats' just wishful thinking from a fan that... just wanted it to be like how it was presented in the comics, novels, and games. And not what it is now... Ummmm...

Also... I have a question... Is the Alien-Predator timeline like... disjointed and branched off now? I mean I keep on hearing that the AVP films are in the continuity of The Predator, but I do know that the Prometheus/Covenant films ignore the Predator series and the AVP series... So... what's up with the timeline? Are there now two timelines or something?

The Old One

The Old One

So just ignore all the film content over the past ten years then?

Right...

It's the same as it's always been, the mainline films are the primary canon.
With the rest being no canon but what we make.
Generally the good stuff, Isolation is in, ACM is out.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: The Old One on Aug 25, 2018, 06:34:42 AM
So just ignore all the film content over the past ten years then?

Or you know, do what the Godzilla, Halloween and even the Robocop franchise has done as far as continuity is concerned. Nothing is really erased, but different paths to choose from.

Right...

No one said we have to agree.

It's the same as it's always been, the mainline films are the primary canon.

AVP included despite the glaring errors which make it impossible for them to exist in the same timeline due to Prometheus and Covenant? Kind of find that hard to swallow.

The Old One

The Old One

That would make sense if, like your examples these incarnations are intended to be separate depictions of the same concept but they aren't.
It's all intended to be the one continuity, whether you like a particular entry or not is of no consequence.

AVP is a spin-off, as I'm sure you know.
Ancillary content, like the Aliens comic with Hicks and Newt before A3's release in 1992.

SM

QuoteAlso... I have a question... Is the Alien-Predator timeline like... disjointed and branched off now? I mean I keep on hearing that the AVP films are in the continuity of The Predator, but I do know that the Prometheus/Covenant films ignore the Predator series and the AVP series... So... what's up with the timeline? Are there now two timelines or something?

There's an Alien timeline and a separate Predator timeline.  AvP could fit with Predator, but not Alien; maybe The Predator will provide a more solid link.  Or AvP is its own thing entirely.

The Cruentus

Didn't someone recently say that they were three seperate universes? there was a tweet from someone that Hicks posted I believe.

Personally I think its for the best if there are three seperate continuities, that way each one has its own story and canon without messing with the other and those who don't think they should be crossed over can be satsified with just watching Alien or Predator.

SM

Three separate licenses.  Alien, Predator, AvP.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: SM on Aug 25, 2018, 08:19:44 AM
There's an Alien timeline and a separate Predator timeline.  AvP could fit with Predator, but not Alien; maybe The Predator will provide a more solid link.  Or AvP is its own thing entirely.

So it's definitive then... There's two timelines/universes then... Always nice to hear from someone enlightened. I sincerely mean that. Thanks SM.

Quote from: The Cruentus on Aug 25, 2018, 09:47:48 AM
Personally I think its for the best if there are three seperate continuities, that way each one has its own story and canon without messing with the other and those who don't think they should be crossed over can be satsified with just watching Alien or Predator.

I can agree to this somewhat... I mean... I would like a Predator continuity which counts only the Predator films, an AVP continuity which counts only the first two Predator films, and leads into the Alien films but not Prometheus/Covenant, and an Alien series which counts only the Prometheus/Covenant prequels and the four Alien films.

But hey... can't have everything.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Aug 25, 2018, 08:19:44 AM

I sense a big ol' myeerge on the horizon. Observe closely, now all we need is Raymond Burr, a voice cameo by Schwarzenegger, and a good editor. :D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed