Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator?

Started by newbeing, Nov 06, 2017, 07:34:15 PM

Author
Disney in talks to buy Fox. What could this mean for Alien and Predator? (Read 176,766 times)

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 05, 2019, 01:06:42 AM
The discussion's gone on over and over at this point for so long;
that it actually has me in the headspace of wondering,
when the inevitable comes and Sigourney Weaver
passes away will this discussion end?

There will be calls for digital resurrection.
Or at least the character to return with another actor.
It's going to have to be done, and fail miserably, in order to
put the idea to rest for good.

The Old One

The Old One

I doubt that. Resurrection exists.

Huggs

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 05, 2019, 01:36:06 AM
I doubt that. Resurrection exists.

I mean to digitally resurrect her likeness. I know I know.  ;D

Voodoo Magic

Well they did a good job with recreating Arnold.  8)

Hey, spew chunks all ya like. The new Halloween sold me that this could work wonderfully. And it just so happened to result in the best Halloween movie since the original.

Eldritch_DM

Wasn't there an Covenant interview where someone asked Ridley about putting Ripley in another film and making her look younger using cgi?

I wouldn't put it past them. They kinda did the same thing with Carrie Fisher (may she rest in peace) in Rogue One.

The Old One

The Old One

As many have pointed out before now, financially
making an Alien film and a Halloween film-
and thus their financial success:
Aren't in the same ballpark.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Badwolf-00 on Jan 05, 2019, 05:39:38 AM
Wasn't there an Covenant interview where someone asked Ridley about putting Ripley in another film and making her look younger using cgi?

I wouldn't put it past them. They kinda did the same thing with Carrie Fisher (may she rest in peace) in Rogue One.

I think that was during the Influencer round-table prior to the Covenant premiere. I think Louis Nostromo asked the question. The CGI replacement technique is certainly getting better and better but it's not quite there yet.

I'm still hoping for a soft reboot.

SM

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 05, 2019, 09:52:15 AM

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 05, 2019, 09:52:15 AM

Yeah, movies aren't shown in ballparks. They're shown in cinemas.

Wow, what would you all do without me? 

;)

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 04, 2019, 10:16:41 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 03, 2019, 07:14:01 PM

Bringing back Ripley with some sort of modified version of Blomkamp's film is the way to go.

For really real?

Oh yes!  Even more really real than real!  It's what many hardcore fans want.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 04, 2019, 11:50:45 PM
I say rip the band-aid off, retcon Alien 3, and bring Sigourney and Michael back in a supporting role and make the future films about Newt, starring some up & coming Jennifer Lawrence type, and sign her cheap to a long term deal.

It may piss off us hardcore fans, but it will give the franchise the best chance to thrive into the future imo. Plus, if they are good movies, I suspect we hardcore fans will quickly get over the Alien 3 retcon.

There you go!  That's the spirit!  Well said Voodo Magic.

Though I suspect most hardcore fans would be totally on board to retcon Alien 3.  It's really just a few people on here who make a lot of noise defending Alien 3, but I am pretty sure there is a silent majority out there who would agree that the series went off the rails with Alien 3.

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 04, 2019, 11:54:12 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 04, 2019, 11:50:45 PM
I say rip the band-aid off, retcon Alien 3, and bring Sigourney and Michael back in a supporting role and
make the future films about Newt, starring some up & coming Jennifer Lawrence type, and sign her cheap to a long term deal.

:o

So turn the series intro lineage "passing the torch"
focused garbage like a dozen other series?

https://i.giphy.com/media/EiCQzmzE5HLaw/giphy.webp

It doesn't necessarily have to be about passing the torch, but that's not the issue here.  The issue is that you think the series is about the creatures first and foremost, and not about the characters.  The creatures are animals!  Exotic, yes but only animals.  The audience is mostly invested in the struggle of the characters who are facing the creatures and they want to know their story.  That doesn't make the audience stupid.  They are simply NORMAL PEOPLE.

Me personally, I'm not up for a passing of the torch which results in ongoing Newt tales.  I just want a better story told with the characters that many people including myself are invested in, and that will transition better into the next phase.  Currently, everything in the timeline starting with Alien 3 is just not satisfactory.  I would be totally up for a David / Ripley confrontation if done well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want only films with the core characters.  But I want some.  Alien : Cold Forge as a film is something I very much desire also.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 05, 2019, 01:17:45 PM]

I feel like I deserve a cookie.  ;D

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jan 05, 2019, 01:57:36 PM
Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Jan 05, 2019, 01:17:45 PM]

I feel like I deserve a cookie.  ;D

You deserve the whole chocolate factory bro!  Alien 3 retconners unite!!

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jan 05, 2019, 12:53:51 AM
Yeah, no thanks! Better dead than that!

If you're referring to the characters in the movie then that's your valid opinion.  If you're referring to yourself, then please go outside, get some fresh air, enjoy the sunshine, then go seek help.

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 05, 2019, 01:06:42 AM
The discussion's gone on over and over at this point for so long;
that it actually has me in the headspace of wondering,
when the inevitable comes and Sigourney Weaver
passes away will this discussion end?

If that sad day should come, will you feel proud of yourself for assisting in the prevention effort of us getting one more great Aliens film with Ripley?  Look in the mirror on that day and say Well Done!!

426Buddy

::)

You can have a great aliens film without Ripley and at this point its time we had one.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 05, 2019, 03:00:33 PM

You can have a great aliens film without Ripley and at this point its time we had one.

Yes.  You can have a great film without Ripley.  We've had 4 Alien related films since 1992 without Ripley, or 5 if you count Alien Resurrection.  So what are you even talking about?  It's time we had an Alien film with Ripley.  More specifically, post-Aliens, and featuring Hicks Newt and some Bishop parts.

I'm up for Ripley and non-Ripley films.  There is room for both, and I believe both can be done well.  The problem with ALL non-Ripley Aliens films is that someone is brought in to play the trope of a female protagonist.   ::)  It drives me bananas!  If they're going to bring in another female protagonist, give us the real thing - Ripley!

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Jan 05, 2019, 03:00:33 PM

True, but you need to generate audience excitement to go see another Alien film. And I do believe, if Ridley continued with another Alien sequel after Covenant with new cast members,  it would continue on a downards trajectory, box-office performance wise.  Goodwill has eroded fast.

So as things stand, to bring back audience goodwill, you remind them of a time when Alien was great with the return of Ripley and Hicks, it creates a tremendous buzz, but then you continue on with new compelling main characters. Their child. Newt. Or someone else entirely.  Like what the new Star Wars trilogy did, but this time, with good writing, good direction and good actors.  :P

If this ends up working with Linda Hamilton and Terminator as well as it did with Halloween, I think this chances of Alien following this path will be very likely.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed