Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover)

Started by Ultramorph, Dec 11, 2015, 12:07:00 AM

Author
Dark Horse Announces "Predator: Life and Death" (FaS-style Crossover) (Read 130,677 times)

Corporal Hicks

I'm moving onto my re-read of Female War after I finish this NA review. I was wondering how/if that came up in the novelization because I couldn't remember. I think I've only read the novelization once.

HuDaFuK

Oh. Sorry to spoil it for you :P But no, it doesn't. Not even a mention.

Perfect-Organism

It is a weak point in the series that is not attended to properly.  Presumably, the SJ was just floating above earth and slowly terraforming it somehow.  But before he got finished, he got taken out.  End of story.  Really.  Cheaply.

happypred

Destroying Angels handled the SJ much, much better IMO compared to that "president and a bunch of androids try to assassinate the SJ" story...

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: happypred on Feb 01, 2016, 02:15:11 AM
Destroying Angels handled the SJ much, much better IMO compared to that "president and a bunch of androids try to assassinate the SJ" story...

No argument there. The Alien just felt like a quick way and being rid of that concept.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: happypred on Feb 01, 2016, 02:15:11 AM

100% agree.  What a let-down in hindsight.

RagingDragon

Just saw the preview for this and I'm excited. More LV-223 jungle shenanigans, it looks like. Still, I'll be honest and say that it's probably going to be as uneventful as the rest of Fire and Stone.

We're most likely going to get: Marines go to LV-223 on a rescue mission, Predators show up looking for Ahab, carnage, and then we'll get some token 'expansion' of the black goo or Engineers, though it won't really do much to answer any questions or expand the mythology in any meaningful way.

I hope I'm wrong.

Another thing that always bothers me about future Predator stories is how they literally don't change at all over the course of almost 200 years. I mean I think the writers get hung up on the ritual hunting crap and stick with the iconic Predator gear and behavior, but come on there's so much room for creativity there.

Future Predators would have some scary, scary technology. There's no special rules dictating that they always use the same gear forever and wouldn't progress, I mean how did they establish the setup that's used in the Predator movies anyway?

I've always wanted to see that - expand on their deceptive, sadistic nature with new devices and hunting tools. Make them have a perfect invisibility cloak instead of the shimmery one, give them things like short-range teleportation and newer, smarter weapons, and please bring back their voice mimicry and voice-throwing, a creepier side to the Predators that's seemed to have fallen by the wayside. Sometimes they seem more like intergalactic wrestlers whose loftiest ambition is to have a naked sumo and arm-wrestling match with the meanest things they can find before returning to their ship to slap each other on the ass, drink alien beer, and taxidermy their trophies to put above their space mantles.

It seems like they're so shoe-horned into their own iconography that writers or artists don't want to stray from it in fear of alienating Predator fans.

Ultramorph

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 07, 2016, 10:09:38 PM
We're most likely going to get: Marines go to LV-223 on a rescue mission, Predators show up looking for Ahab, carnage, and then we'll get some token 'expansion' of the black goo or Engineers, though it won't really do much to answer any questions or expand the mythology in any meaningful way.

I hope I'm wrong.

I hope so, too. I'm quite excited for this whole thing, but I'm also having realistic expectations based on what wound up happening with Fire and Stone. That being said, Abnett as the writer is reason to hope that, even if it doesn't really answer or delve too deep into anything, it will at least be a fun ride. Hopefully he's writing the whole thing. There were too many cooks in the kitchen on that last crossover.

As far as the Predator technology, I agree, it would be great to see some more advanced stuff from them at some point. Who knows, maybe we will in this series. They are taking some artistic cues from Kenner, so maybe we'll see some of that.

happypred

I think Lebbon tried to imply that Predator tech progresses fairly quickly...but his Predators only use blades and shoulder cannons

HuDaFuK

I always got the impression Predators might have more advanced tech, they just use the traditional stuff when hunting because that's viewed as more honourable.

Ultramorph

The first review of issue #1 is up. It's fairly positive, and doesn't contain any info that we didn't know from the solicitations.
http://massmovement.co.uk/?p=7628

HuDaFuK

The first question that immediately springs to mind - is Hasdrubal a Conrad reference? :P

The Alien Predator

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 09, 2016, 03:45:52 PM
I always got the impression Predators might have more advanced tech, they just use the traditional stuff when hunting because that's viewed as more honourable.

This pretty much.

In Incursion, when they get serious,
Spoiler
they do pack some meaner looking gear including somethings resembling guns if I remember the description correctly.
[close]

RagingDragon

Quote from: Ultramorph on Feb 09, 2016, 03:51:23 PM
The first review of issue #1 is up. It's fairly positive, and doesn't contain any info that we didn't know from the solicitations.
http://massmovement.co.uk/?p=7628

Doesn't sound so bad, even if I'm already tired of "marinez and predatorz and enjuneerz fieting!" I honestly feel like the only thing that could make Prometheus even more lame is by having Predators running around stabbing things. It just takes me so far away from that rich, scary mystery of the Derelict craft and original Alien.

Plus, none of these stories so far have tried to actually incorporate the Predators into this cosmic scheme of creation and destruction in any meaningful way. They've literally just been out driving around in their Chevy's killing things and stumble across humans, aliens, and engineers in some disaster.

There aren't even passing comments in Fire and Stone about how or if the Predators are related - they're just a third party that shows up and fights. Wasted opportunity.

I'll wait and see how the reviews go. So many of these series start out strong, then just go to complete pointless hell like the writers don't even care about the ending so long as they hook you into buying four issues. That was a lot of complaining, but hey, if the situation calls for it. :P

Perfect-Organism

I agree with the above.  Every time a Predator shows up in the Aliens universe now, it is like a WWE wrestling star showing up at a serious TED talk about some great discovery.  They don't belong.  They don't contribute.  The only way they could belong is if their participation is somehow explained.  So basically we need to have an origin story the explains the Predators, but on the downside, doing that will destroy the mystery of the predators, so nobody wants that.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed