Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 241,152 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: PsyKore on Jan 11, 2018, 07:52:30 AM
Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Jan 11, 2018, 12:08:12 AM
I understand that David's breed is not complete yet, but I still feel kinda disappointed for the way they handled the creature.

I understand it too, but I'm not even sure if it is actually the case or if it's something fans just came up with. The film never outright implies that "this is a beta Xeno," and I can't remember Ridley mentioning it. People still say, though, that it isn't the final version of the Alien. I mean, yes, logically it's an early version, but there's honestly nothing to say that it isn't. If you asked the average viewer what they thought, they'd just say it's a Xenomorph.

It was spoken about during the set visits and some of the post release interviews. I remember one of the producers saying that the lack of biomechanical elements in its design was because they were heading in that direction for future films.

From our interview with Adam Johnansen - http://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/interviews/adam-johansen/

QuoteAvPGalaxy – The adult Alien seems to lack the biomechanical elements of the original film's Alien. From what Chris Seagers alluded to in a previous interview, it seems like this was a deliberate choice as the later films will eventually introduce more biomechanical elements into the design?

Adam Johansen – Yes, Ridley wanted a more animalistic, primal version of the Xenomorph. Not the bio mechanical version we know from the original films.

PsyKore

Ah yes. Thanks for reminding me, Hicks.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: PsyKore on Jan 11, 2018, 07:52:30 AM
I love that shot. There's something really ethereal about how it looks and moves. Shame they can't recapture that.

100% agree. From the very first viewing that scene has always held my fascination. But this vein of the conversation isn't about how mesmerizing that scene is, it's about how one can reduce any movie creature to animated mockery if one wanted to go that route.

Personally I see zero effectiveness in going that route to express disdain for a given film aspect, but for some reason film visual/dialogue childish mockery is popular in these forums. Now before anyone flames me about calling it childish, even a mod here recently declared that sort of film mockery is childish and makes the person look like a fool. . . . . . So don't kill the messenger.  ;D

maron

maron

A Biomechanoid design for the xeno next movie? A likely story.   ;D

You people (Scott and colleagues) cannot fool me any longer. It's probably too expensive, landscapes are much more important, you know?  ;)

Biomechanoid

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 11, 2018, 08:06:30 AM
As to the Covenant variation of the design. Honestly it just looks like ADI doubled down on their previous designs. All the biomechanics are stripped out. Whether that's intentional or not, it takes away one of the interesting design aspects of the creature.

Now THIS is how you give an effective criticism. At least, certainly better than stick cartoon comparisons. Thumbs up.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

@Biomechanoid, you are making a straw man argument, dude.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Jan 11, 2018, 03:15:23 PM
If there was logical fallacy, you might have a point, but the very fact that I simply mirrored what you did, not my problem you failed to comprehend the dose of other-side-of-the-coin. . . . dude.

So......moving on, I like the criticism description by OpenMaw, pretty much nailed it.....effectively. And thanks Hicks, for providing the film makers' reason for going that direction per Scott's orders, had not seen that. I still prefer the biomechanical style, but I guess Scott wanted a more animalistic look, and that's what they designed for him. I can't fault the designers for accomplishing what they were instructed to do.

OpenMaw

I'm staring at one of my Big Chap figures right now. I just can't understand the thinking behind sapping out the bio-mechanical aspect.

Even if you have a creative or narrative idea behind doing it. It's still basically saying "Let's take one of the most interesting aspects of the design, one of the things that makes it stand out in the crowd, and remove it."

It's one of the most interesting parts of the design. The pipes, the tubes, the repeating ribbing. One of the biggest losses in my book too are the elegant hands of the original beast. None of the Aliens have had hands quite as cool as the original. All the rest have had really ungainly hands that seem over-sized or ill-proportioned. I just love the details.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Biomechanoid on Jan 11, 2018, 03:45:03 PM
Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Jan 11, 2018, 03:15:23 PM
If there was logical fallacy, you might have a point, but the very fact that I simply mirrored what you did, not my problem you failed to comprehend the dose of other-side-of-the-coin. . . . dude.

Dude, you just mirrored a joke that I did, and since then you have been exaggerating about it. But I agree, just move on.

Biomechanoid

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Jan 11, 2018, 04:14:02 PM
Dude, you just mirrored a joke that I did.

Dude, I had all confidence you would catch on, eventually.

Quote from: Crazy Shrimp on Jan 11, 2018, 04:14:02 PM
But I agree, just move on.

Moving on, as I had already stated earlier and now again, works for me.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 11, 2018, 04:04:59 PM
Even if you have a creative or narrative idea behind doing it. It's still basically saying "Let's take one of the most interesting aspects of the design, one of the things that makes it stand out in the crowd, and remove it."

100% agree with this and the rest of your post. Some have stated Scott has been an accomplished director, but he is no storyteller.

This is not the first time he's inserted a gimmick without any rhyme or reason to an already established and professional piece of literature. i.e. Blade Runner and the Deck-a-rep gimmick, which P. K. Dick never endorsed despite die hard fans insisting Dick saw footage and approved. True he saw footage, but it was only scenes of the city, Scott never revealed to Dick he was turning Deckard into a replicant. Dick died before the film was finished.

tleilaxu

I actually prefer the more animal look.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jan 11, 2018, 04:04:59 PM
I'm staring at one of my Big Chap figures right now. I just can't understand the thinking behind sapping out the bio-mechanical aspect.

It's one of the most interesting parts of the design. The pipes, the tubes, the repeating ribbing. One of the biggest losses in my book too are the elegant hands of the original beast. None of the Aliens have had hands quite as cool as the original. All the rest have had really ungainly hands that seem over-sized or ill-proportioned. I just love the details.

https://www.yourprops.com/movieprops/original/4595207a8243f/Alien-Creature-Hand-1.jpg

I feel in a similar way when I see the legs and the foots of the original monster. Even if the creature couldn't be able to move quickly and easily with the original design, those legs are elegant in comparison. 

Biggles

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 11, 2018, 08:21:07 AM
From our interview with Adam Johnansen - http://www.avpgalaxy.net/website/interviews/adam-johansen/

QuoteAvPGalaxy – The adult Alien seems to lack the biomechanical elements of the original film's Alien. From what Chris Seagers alluded to in a previous interview, it seems like this was a deliberate choice as the later films will eventually introduce more biomechanical elements into the design?

Adam Johansen – Yes, Ridley wanted a more animalistic, primal version of the Xenomorph. Not the bio mechanical version we know from the original films.

Thank you for finding that. However, it's hard to know here what he's saying 'yes' to. I think there's a world of difference between careful and consistent production design and making the Alien a 'flayed man' on a whim because the director thinks it fits the tone of the movie better. I'd lay money on it being Ridley's personal preference only. I very much doubt that they'd bother to follow through on having David upgrade his version with the full biomech treatment. Those of us who would notice or care are a subset of a subset (passionate fans). Realistically, this is like the constant changes to the Klingons in Star Trek; for all intents and purposes the same character, but radically different in the reimagining.

There was a similar conceit for the damp fleshy Pumpkinhead A:R design of course; human DNA. But in reality it was just ADI & co changing things up based upon personal preference. Same deal here. Except the Covenant interpretation is fantastic IMO. If you're going to change stuff for the sake of it, they did a hell of a job here of making the creature a proper gothic monster, and despite what I just said, an awesome organic forerunner design if anyone does care enough to follow through and biomech it up (grafting on the Engineer suit technology is the obvious way, as others have remarked). I just wish they'd kept the shoulder tubes.

Anyway, it's academic if we never get the third Ridley movie.

Corporal Hicks

Here's the original quote from the production designer -

QuoteThe aesthetic choices aren't just superficial, they tie into the larger story. "Technically, we're slightly earlier than the Giger stuff, a little bit," Seagers explained. "We're sort of edging into that. That's part of that whole storyline."

http://collider.com/alien-covenant-spoilers-things-to-know/#effects

Biggles

Ah yes, sorry, I'd forgotten about that. I have to take him at his word, but I don't have much faith that everyone involved shares Mr Seagers's logic or would stick to it in any sequel that happens. The Prometheus juggernaut was also de-biomechanised in production, and that had nowt to do with some plan to later recreate it more faithfully.

Still, it does follow; either an imperfect recreation by David, or his first original effort that he perfects in the finale.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed