A Beautiful Disaster, Alien 3 30th Anniversary Retrospective - AvP Galaxy Podcast #145

Started by Corporal Hicks, May 30, 2022, 05:01:10 PM

Author
A Beautiful Disaster, Alien 3 30th Anniversary Retrospective - AvP Galaxy Podcast #145 (Read 8,401 times)

BlueMarsalis79

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Jun 01, 2022, 12:12:45 PMThat's one of the key reasons I don't think the Assembly Cut resembles David Fincher's Final Cut that Ralph Brown mentioned. No Egg on the Sulaco™

I don't think it can be because Fincher oversaw the dog-burster so any later cut from him should have that in. The Assembly Cut is just an earlier cut by Fincher.

BlueMarsalis79

xeno_alpha_07

xeno_alpha_07

QuoteI didn't realise the workprint was from a cam of a test screening. I just thought it was a VHS tape.

The workprint was on a VHS tape as it was common for editors to transfer rough cuts, etc to VHS tape at the time for post production for composers, sound effects editors and so on.  It wasn't a cam recording.  How the Alien 3 workprint was leaked I'm not sure.  The version of the workprint that is available online is a copy of a copy of a copy with the quality degrading each time.

Kradan

Wanted to clarify, did I hear that right - you boys got someone involved in writing this thing ?

[cancerblack]

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Jun 01, 2022, 03:20:47 PM
QuoteI didn't realise the workprint was from a cam of a test screening. I just thought it was a VHS tape.

The workprint was on a VHS tape as it was common for editors to transfer rough cuts, etc to VHS tape at the time for post production for composers, sound effects editors and so on.  It wasn't a cam recording.  How the Alien 3 workprint was leaked I'm not sure.  The version of the workprint that is available online is a copy of a copy of a copy with the quality degrading each time.

I still want to know what the f**k was going around on VHS in New Zealand in the late 90's and early 2000's. It wasn't the theatrical cut, it wasn't as crude as the workprint, and the Assembly Cut wasn't out yet. It was, IIRC, about 13 minutes longer than the theatrical version.

Although it's worth noting that being the VHS era, fan or collector edits of certain films would get quietly introduced to rental houses sometimes, and Vincent Ward had family in the area which is likely irrelevant but I don't know where the f**k else it might have come from.

xeno_alpha_07

QuoteI still want to know what the f**k was going around on VHS in New Zealand in the late 90's and early 2000's. It wasn't the theatrical cut, it wasn't as crude as the workprint, and the Assembly Cut wasn't out yet. It was, IIRC, about 13 minutes longer than the theatrical version.

I had no idea there was a copy of Alien 3 on tape in New Zealand that was 13 minutes longer.  Was there any timecode or anything on it?  Can you remember if it was a bootleg tape or what extra footage it featured at all? I'm quite curious  :) 

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Jun 01, 2022, 03:20:47 PM

It wasn't a cam recording.  How the Alien 3 workprint was leaked I'm not sure.  The version of the workprint that is available online is a copy of a copy of a copy with the quality degrading each time.

My mistake! Thanks for correcting that, xeno. :)

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Darwinsgirl on May 31, 2022, 03:10:39 PMI haven't finished it yet. But so far there have been multiple points or observations that I had not made before. After having watched this film many, many times that was a bonus for me. ;D

I enjoy having Omegamorph as a reviewer. He is not on as much and enjoy his views. As he and xenomorphine both stated The Bishop animatronics is so well done its one of my favorite scenes.
Thank you kindly ;D I'm glad!

I'm going to try and be more present to the movie-related podcasts!

BlueMarsalis79

In a similar vein, just had a lot of fun listening to CDL on Perfect Organism's Assembly Cut Commentary, if you need positivity to balance out this particular perspective.

And features some new information I didn't know. 

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: xeno_alpha_07 on Jun 01, 2022, 06:56:46 PM
QuoteI still want to know what the f**k was going around on VHS in New Zealand in the late 90's and early 2000's. It wasn't the theatrical cut, it wasn't as crude as the workprint, and the Assembly Cut wasn't out yet. It was, IIRC, about 13 minutes longer than the theatrical version.

I had no idea there was a copy of Alien 3 on tape in New Zealand that was 13 minutes longer.  Was there any timecode or anything on it?  Can you remember if it was a bootleg tape or what extra footage it featured at all? I'm quite curious  :) 

No timecode on any of it. From memory, it had the alternate versions of the trap sequence/Golic stuff and Ripleys death, but I can't recall any other differences, if there were any. Definitely still had the dog rather than the ox, and didn't have the longer beach stuff. 

This was at the Amalgamated Video rental stores in Wellington, specifically the Mirimar and Kilbirnie locations. I never spotted it anywhere else. I'm fairly certain it was a bootleg that the staff would put on the shelves for those who knew to look.

xeno_alpha_07

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Jun 29, 2022, 07:21:03 PMNo timecode on any of it. From memory, it had the alternate versions of the trap sequence/Golic stuff and Ripleys death, but I can't recall any other differences, if there were any. Definitely still had the dog rather than the ox, and didn't have the longer beach stuff. 

This was at the Amalgamated Video rental stores in Wellington, specifically the Mirimar and Kilbirnie locations. I never spotted it anywhere else. I'm fairly certain it was a bootleg that the staff would put on the shelves for those who knew to look.

Thank you for the info it definitely sounds like a bootleg tape.  However, I wonder if they got the extra trap sequence, Golic scenes and alternate ending from the workprint and spliced them in.  It is possible as what they call 'lower generational' copies, which are way better quality, existed back then but are extremely rare to find.  Wish I could track down a copy of this tape.

Huntsman

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on May 30, 2022, 05:32:15 PMI love this film, thank you.
I love how nihilistic it is. Such a specific bleak atmosphere. The ending is perfect in that regard too with Ripley's recording playing one last time.

BlueMarsalis79

I mean it is, but I also find it inspiring, genuinely so.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Perhaps David Fincher should make a Blade Runner movie. I bet it would be very dirty, nihilistic, gritty, extremely depressing and full of symbolism.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed