Alien & Predator Legacy

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Nov 26, 2020, 03:46:58 PM

Author
Alien & Predator Legacy (Read 5,667 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Share Alien & Predator Legacy! and I'm not talking about ripoffs, but rather quality media inspired in part or in whole by Alien or Predator  :)

Shugsi

Shugsi

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: S1L on Nov 26, 2020, 04:28:06 PM

The Tyranids from warhammer 40k are quite Xeno-like indeed. Next leap from Cameron's swarm to the civilization of a visceral race of deadly creatures. So I guess I got this right, when is come to influences:

Cameron's Aliens ➡ Tyranids ➡ Zerg

Anyway, I am sure that creature design is more complex than that  :laugh:

Shugsi

Shugsi

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Nov 26, 2020, 05:26:52 PM

The Tyranids from warhammer 40k are quite Xeno-like indeed. Next leap from Cameron's swarm to the civilization of a visceral race of deadly creatures. So I guess I got this right, when is come to influences:

Yes and the whole space marine thing. Same year Aliens was released in the UK. I think it was 86 in the states wasn't it?

"Space Marines were first introduced in Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader (1987) by Rick Priestley, which was the first edition of the tabletop game. "

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Some games that probably wouldn't exist without Alien

Quote from: S1L on Nov 26, 2020, 06:05:04 PM

Yes and the whole space marine thing. Same year Aliens was released in the UK. I think it was 86 in the states wasn't it?

"Space Marines were first introduced in Warhammer 40,000: Rogue Trader (1987) by Rick Priestley, which was the first edition of the tabletop game. "

I am not a connoisseur of Warhammer 40k, but I have read about people who identify influences from Dune (God Emperor), Star Wars (mostly aesthetic) and Starship Troopers (futuristic fascism). But yes. Apparently the first edition is from 1987 and the Space Marines look like the post-apocalyptic-gothic catholization of USCM  :laugh:

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

I remember playing the original PREY on PC. That was great, I never played it's sequel though.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

From the above I have only played Super Metroid. What a shame!  :-X :-X :-X

:'( :'( :'(

Shugsi

Shugsi

And is Starship Troopers (book) an influence on Aliens?

SM

SM

Cameron had the cast read it for research.  It's been a long, long time since I read it, but Cameron wasn't really pushing fascism in Aliens, so I think it was more for the tech and soldiering.

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

Starship Troopers was a interesting movie.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Nov 27, 2020, 12:28:21 AM
Cameron had the cast read it for research.  It's been a long, long time since I read it, but Cameron wasn't really pushing fascism in Aliens, so I think it was more for the tech and soldiering.
Yeah. And Cameron had Sarah Connor in mind when he wrote the character of Ripley for his movie:

Quote from: New York Times''Aliens,'' like ''The Terminator,'' will have a strong woman at its core. ''I hate the image of the female simpering in fear,'' Mr. Cameron says. ''In 'The Terminator,' I stripped away one by one the people who could help the heroine. She had to take responsibility for her own survival.''

Although he described ''Aliens'' as ''a straightforward story about a group of United States marines 200 years in the future,'' he said that his story ''works on one level as an allegory for Vietnam.'' The movie, he said, will pit ''high-tech soldiers against an unseen, wraithlike enemy.''

A Seque To 'ALIEN' Ready To Go Into Production

The story behind the Queen is different than one might think too, at least on a thematic level. There are some esoteric Giger influences in some parts of the design though:

Quote from: Monster Legacy~ Before being attached to Aliens, and even before the production of The Terminator, director James Cameron wrote a treatment for a story called Mother, which featured "its own type of Alien Queen." Although it would never eventually be greenlit, Mother was heavily influential on Cameron's conception for Aliens. First written towards the end of 1980, the treatment fundamentally concerned "a female, genetically engineered creature attempting to ensure the survival of its young," hence the title itself. The concept of the Alien Queen and the climax of Aliens itself was, in fact, an idea first conceived for Mother. Cameron continues: "in the final confrontation in Mother, a human in a 'power suit' — a utility exoskeleton that is a sort of cross between a fork-lift and a robot — fights the alien creature that I called the 'Skraath' or 'Skraith', a black six-limbed panther that I had previously created for another project called Labyrinth."~

StarBeast — Aliens, the Alien Queen

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Nov 27, 2020, 12:28:21 AM
The mechanised suits are occasionally given as an influence for the power loader fight.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: S1L on Nov 26, 2020, 06:05:04 PM

Word is, Space Hulk was originally an Aliens game, but they couldn't get the rights (or it fell through, I forget), hence the flamethrower mechanics, "blip tokens", the Genestealers being redesigned to have a much more "Alien" aesthetic, and Space Marine Terminators being made of wet cardboard in melee despite being premier assault troops in the standard wargame. This also fed back into the core 40k game and is the origin of Genestealers having obscenely high melee skill.

Tyranid art from various eras of the game:

SM

SM

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: SM on Nov 27, 2020, 02:08:13 AM

Didn't even think of that one! Really fun arc, I should revisit it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed