Was Jenette Goldstein painted black for the role of Vazquez?

Started by rominronin, Nov 07, 2020, 10:50:04 PM

Author
Was Jenette Goldstein painted black for the role of Vazquez? (Read 12,168 times)

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

Jenette Goldstein thought it was a movie about illegal aliens in space.

SM

She thought it was about immigrants in England.

Local Trouble

And it's not really as if this kind of thing went out with the 80s.  Anyone remember this?

Lots of brownface there, especially on Gemma Arterton.

Gr33n M4n

Quote from: SM on Nov 10, 2020, 08:06:49 PM

Oh Right, because the movie was filmed in England. It took me awhile to figure that out  :D

razeak

My grandfather was a Francisco. He wasn't brown. My mother was a hair darker than him. I have blonde hair and blue eyes. People aren't really 100% anyways are they?

Kradan

Quote from: Phobos on Nov 10, 2020, 08:35:13 PM
Quote from: SM on Nov 10, 2020, 08:06:49 PM

Oh Right, because the movie was filmed in England. It took me awhile to figure that out  :D

OpenMaw

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 08, 2020, 08:00:22 AM
This may or may not be an issue for anyone personally, but I do get why it copped a warning.

I don't. It's called acting. Acting, people.

Are wigs out, then, too? Finger nails? Do we have to hire Japanese actors for Japanese roles or is it okay if they are Chinese/Korean? Because that happens a lot.

Should we get actual aliens to play the aliens? Boy I bet they'd be pissed to know we just use costumes.

SM

SM

When they have no idea how close they are to getting it.

Local Trouble

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 27, 2020, 10:56:40 PMDo we have to hire Japanese actors for Japanese roles or is it okay if they are Chinese/Korean? Because that happens a lot.

SM?

SM

Local Trouble

Does that still crack the shits?

Kradan

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 27, 2020, 10:56:40 PM
Should we get actual aliens to play the aliens? Boy I bet they'd be pissed to know we just use costumes.

:D

MrSpaceJockey

Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 27, 2020, 10:56:40 PM
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Nov 08, 2020, 08:00:22 AM
This may or may not be an issue for anyone personally, but I do get why it copped a warning.

I don't. It's called acting. Acting, people.

Are wigs out, then, too? Finger nails? Do we have to hire Japanese actors for Japanese roles or is it okay if they are Chinese/Korean? Because that happens a lot.

"Should we get actual aliens to play the aliens?" is a type of comment I see quite often on the internet, but here's my take: the controversies that surround the miscasting of minority, transgendered, disabled, etc characters exist because there are minority, transgendered, disabled, etc actors that exist, but don't get cast.  Comparing them to "aliens" is lowkey insulting - and I know you're joking and don't mean offense, but I've seen this type of comment enough that I just had to chip in my two cents.  It's way beyond a false equivalence.

I'm Chinese-American.  I've seen a lot of dumb casting decisions surrounding Asian characters in media.  Depends on the role of course, but I'm mostly fine with Asians playing different kinds of Asians.  Just like how it's okay for white British actors to play American characters, or black actors of Carribbean descent to play Africans.  Different ethnicities playing each other, so long as they're within the same race, is simply socially acceptable - and you see that in movies like Crazy Rich Asians or Black Panther - lauded by Asian-American and black audiences.  We can get into reasons why that may be, but this comment is long enough as is.

Point being; brownface is inarguably linked to a horrible racist history.  It's not the slippery slope for, "so actors can't even wear wigs or nails now?"  Even though Vasquez herself is not a racist character, I understand the warning.  Situation's complicated, but the warning is like... an obligatory mention.  Not a big deal.

Shinawi

If only Salma Hayek started her career just a few years earlier. Then we wouldn't be having this controversy (plus, she's hot).

SiL

If only they had found a latina actress and asked her to hit the gym to get the physique they were after.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed