Alien: Covenant Set Reports *Spoilers

Started by Anthony, Mar 01, 2017, 02:09:30 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant Set Reports *Spoilers (Read 45,291 times)

Stolen

Stolen

Quote•Shaw's (Noomi Rapace) presence in the film was going to be a surprise, that is why they kept her casting under wraps. That's until it leaked online and they had to own up.

Certainly something big for Shaw!
Great !

prometheusfire08

prometheusfire08

wondering if the giant head on lv223 is symbolic of those engineers being removed or exiled from the larger society on paradise ?

CainsSon

CainsSon

There is seriously so much shit going on in these set reports I dont even know where to start commenting.

D88M

D88M

those reports can be read, or they have too much spoilers in them?

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

This entire thread sounds awesome. Though what is that alien bible thing everyone is talking about? I'm assuming it's rules to keep some sort of canon in the alien franchise.

Necronomicon II

^ I imagine that is it; just a canonical rule book really.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: CainsSon on Mar 02, 2017, 06:14:22 AM
What the hell is the MEDPOD going to be doing in this (and PASSENGERS by Spaihts BTW)? Operating on an ANDROID I hope!

Considering how much Covenant seems to be like a retry of Spaihts' original script, I'd hope to see the original medpod scene return where it's operating on Watts (Shaw) as she's being chestbursted.

Quote from: whiterabbit on Mar 02, 2017, 08:00:54 AM
This entire thread sounds awesome. Though what is that alien bible thing everyone is talking about? I'm assuming it's rules to keep some sort of canon in the alien franchise.

Exactly. Probably to help Scott and the writers work out the trilogy. Also probably to avoid any contradictions with Blomkamp's movie when they were working on that too.

Quote from: D88M on Mar 02, 2017, 07:25:13 AM
those reports can be read, or they have too much spoilers in them?

There's a lot of information. Probably best to avoid if you don't want more details. Also best to avoid this thread in that case as people are going to be talking about them.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: cliffhanger on Mar 01, 2017, 11:32:46 PMand cannon fodder hippie couples. remember that 'swimming pool' scene? it's now a shower scene.

The characters and specific scenes weren't really the issue with that film.

It was the appalling acting and screenplay.

Dangerous Days

Still be interesting to see if the next 2 films go back to the reason the Engineers wished to wipe out humanity. All this talk of space Jesus (which even though I'm not religious, I certainly wouldn't want to see) and the rise of the Roman Empire. But I also remember Lindelof and Spaihts mentioning the possibility that our creation was just an experiment and that the earth is little more than a petri dish to the Engineers; an idea I personally feel ties in much better with the whole Lovecraftian feel, that most fans seem to want with an Alien origin story.

With that in mind, I'm really hoping the Xeno-like mural on the wall in the ampule room, is more than just an Easter egg; included for no other reason, than it being the only piece of artwork Giger contributed to Prometheus.

My preferred direction by the end of these prequels, would be to find out that the creature in mural was central to the plot. And what the Engineers were really doing on LV-223, is trying to resurrect that creature, an ancient god like being, long extinct, who's blood is the basis of the mutagen they use in their sacrificial rituals, to seed other worlds. They knew the creature was parasitic in nature and would require living hosts, so just arbitrarily selected the human population on earth, for the honour of birthing their deity. But the Engineers messed up. Rather than recreating the creature from the mural, the black goo creates abominations of it instead; which David later perfects through his experiments on Paradise.

Russ840

Quote from: Dangerous Days on Mar 02, 2017, 11:54:36 AM
Still be interesting to see if the next 2 films go back to the reason the Engineers wished to wipe out humanity. All this talk of space Jesus (which even though I'm not religious, I certainly wouldn't want to see) and the rise of the Roman Empire. But I also remember Lindelof and Spaihts mentioning the possibility that our creation was just an experiment and that the earth is little more than a petri dish to the Engineers; an idea I personally feel ties in much better with the whole Lovecraftian feel, that most fans seem to want with an Alien origin story.

With that in mind, I'm really hoping the Xeno-like mural on the wall in the ampule room, is more than just an Easter egg; included for no other reason, than it being the only piece of artwork Giger contributed to Prometheus.

My preferred direction by the end of these prequels, would be to find out that the creature in mural was central to the plot. And what the Engineers were really doing on LV-223, is trying to resurrect that creature, an ancient god like being, long extinct, who's blood is the basis of the mutagen they use in their sacrificial rituals, to seed other worlds. They knew the creature was parasitic in nature and would require living hosts, so just arbitrarily selected the human population on earth, for the honour of birthing their deity. But the Engineers messed up. Rather than recreating the creature from the mural, the black goo creates abominations of it instead; which David later perfects through his experiments on Paradise.

Not bad. I'd buy in to this.

Quote from: Dangerous Days on Mar 02, 2017, 11:54:36 AM

Not bad. I'd. It not this.

Necronomicon II

I like your thinking Dangerous Days (cool name by the way ;)), that just may be the case; David will simply re-create it the way it originally was, as perfected by some other being, he'd just be following the blueprint that the Engineers were trying desperately to replicate. So, that way, the original beast did exist as it did eons ago, it just took a synthetic being like David to find all the correct ingredients and method, as it were. That could very well be the compromise here folks as far as these prequels will go.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Stolen on Mar 01, 2017, 10:36:30 PM
QuoteWhen we arrived, the crew was on day 60 of a 75-day shoot, a more compressed schedule and reportedly a smaller budget than Scott had to work with on the previous prequel, Prometheus. We are led to the art room

http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/features/820159-our-visit-to-the-alien-covenant-set#dod2EyUHZfoGCm6j.99

That at least puts paid to that ridiculous $200 million budget rumour. By the looks of the two trailers so far it does look like a slightly lower-budget Prometheus.

Quote from: SM on Mar 01, 2017, 11:48:57 PM
Was there hippie couples in AvP:R?
Or Covenant?

Very mild spoiler:
Spoiler
Well, the Covenant is according to one Sydney newspaper report, carrying a shitload of Nimbin Cannabis. Not sure if that makes 'em space hippies though. They look more like space hipsters to be honest  :-\
[close]

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 01, 2017, 04:16:22 PM
QuoteWith this film popping up and embracing the ALIEN universe and Blomkamps impending ALIEN 5 aka ALIEN 3 "for real", they had film researchers create a 10-page rule-book for the series. First time that happens in the franchise's history.

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/set-visit-1-alien-covenant-everything-we-learned-sfx-info-238

Interesting quote there. They have a little bible now.

I want that book so bad!! Also Sigourney's/Ripley marble notebooks. FOX should publish both.

dlb

dlb

having some kind of bible is a common practice when dealing with a franchise. it's probably just notes and stuff that they laid out as must haves for these movies. I bet Marvel has something like this as well to not loose overview and I know that Stephen King has something like this for his Dark Tower series as well.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 01, 2017, 08:07:06 PM
QuoteIt shouldn't have really ended, so we've come back with a very simple idea. Who made them? No one ever asked that question. [Alien] was just about there it is; it exists. And this is what it is. Seven guys and gals in a steel hull. Frankly, the very old idea of The Old Dark House. Who's gonna die next? The fundamental basis of Alien was a pretty old B-movie, but because of the cast and talent involved it came out an A+ movie. So we've reinvented the idea of Alien, I think, which is that Covenant gets us a step closer to who and why was this thing designed to make human beings. And if you think it's them [the Engineers], you're dead wrong.
Ridley Scott.

http://collider.com/alien-covenant-prometheus/?utm_campaign=collidersocial&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social#poster

Can't help but think we're really going in the direction that David is responsible for the Aliens as we know them. I'm holding onto hope it's some Elder God race or something but I really think it's not going there.

Quote"The aesthetic choices aren't just superficial, they tie into the larger story. "Technically, we're slightly earlier than the Giger stuff, a little bit," Seagers explained. "We're sort of edging into that. That's part of that whole storyline."
Chris Seagers.

http://collider.com/alien-covenant-spoilers-things-to-know/#effects

Another hint towards David somehow introducing the biomechanical aspect to the Alien. Probably not in this film though. We've seen that.

FROM COLLIDER:
"But there's something larger at work here, too. If there was one thing that was made abundantly clear throughout the conversations on set, it's that Covenant, like Prometheus, is very much rooted in the idea of creation myths. Who created David? Man. Who created man? The Engineers. But who created the Engineers? And what comes next in the chain? What does man's creation create? Covenant is a film that looks to tell a broad-scale creation myth both backward and forwards at the same time. While it brings us closer to the events of Alien, to the birth of the biomechanical Xenomorph we all know and love, it also continues to look back at the story of human creation — a story we don't understand nearly as well as we think we do from the story we were told in Prometheus."

http://collider.com/alien-covenant-engineers-prometheus-connection/

A few reports mentioned this. Which seems to suggest that what we thought we were being told in PROMETHEUS is part of a larger scheme, including 'WHAT CREATED THE ENGINEERS' - the SJ? - and this film seems to focus on 'WHAT OUT CREATION -DAVID- WOULD CREATE'
The thing is, I dont think the Xeno we see here is biomechanical. So it would seem to be leading toward's DAVID trying to Perfect this Proto-Xeno, into something biomechanical.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed