Aliens Echo : An Original Young Adult Novel

Started by felix, Jul 19, 2018, 12:59:24 AM

Author
Aliens Echo : An Original Young Adult Novel (Read 55,568 times)

HuDaFuK

Not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but there's apparently a paperback edition on the way in April.

Corporal Hicks

Did you find it on Amazon in the end?

HuDaFuK

No, but there's a listing for it on goodreads.

The Old One

The Old One

Good to hear, I'll read it soon digitally though.

Corporal Hicks

Be nice to actually have a softback of this. The hardback doesn't fit on my shelf with the other books.

HuDaFuK

I'm holding out for the paperback for exactly that reason.

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

I need to get around to buying myself a hard copy, those books are so sexy.

Nukiemorph

I finally gave this a read and listened to the podcast, which was great. (Every time I was about to type up a comment, one of you brought up the point I was about to make.)  :P

I enjoyed it overall. I appreciated seeing things from a teenage perspective for something different. I liked the setting and native life. I liked the finale too.

I don't really mind the romance. Most of it is just dumb thoughts popping into Olivia's head and she acknowledges how stupid it is to be thinking about it during all of the carnage.

I liked how Olivia's knowledge of xenobiology played into the action and let her figure out the xenomorph life-cycle out on the fly.

The dynamic between Olivia and Viola became pretty interesting,
Spoiler
especially once we learned the twist. Olivia's attachment and determination to save Viola despite learning she was an android was something new & interesting for the franchise. It provided something weird for us to chew on.
[close]

I did have the following gripes:

The Michel character was hateable, but not in the way he was supposed to be. He's cartoonishly over-the-top. His level of dickishness should have been gradually built-up instead of just turned up to 11 from beginning to end. I didn't think he was believable for most of the book.

I didn't really like how every single person who's been facehugged had telltale rips around their mouths, which we've never seen in any other media. I was hoping this meant a new kind of creature that forces people's mouths open and impregnates them - kind of like Chet from AVP:R. But no, one of the victims describes the eggs and it sounds like they were just facehugged. (I guess it's possible that there's something different about these facehuggers - either because of spawning from the Zagreus wildlife or experiments on the research vessel.)

Spoiler
The ending was a bit of a downer and felt a bit too open for my taste, but I was reading this with the knowledge that Olivia was supposed to show up in the cancelled Rising Threat comic, so I assume somebody rescues them.
[close]

EJA

Now that we've had this, could there be more YA Alien books in the future? How about some dealing with Predator?

j0nesy

j0nesy

Quote from: David's Creation on May 08, 2020, 10:31:38 PM
I did have the following gripes:

The Michel character was hateable, but not in the way he was supposed to be. He's cartoonishly over-the-top. His level of dickishness should have been gradually built-up instead of just turned up to 11 from beginning to end. I didn't think he was believable for most of the book.

i found that on one hand, it was really effective in making me truly hate his character, but on the other, i thought it was pretty absurd how other characters let him act the way he did 99 percent of the time

Spoiler
i also think his demise was a disappointment; he deserved far worse, or we at least should have read about his last living moments
[close]

Corporal Hicks

I would have liked that myself. But I suppose they didn't want to get too vindictive in a YA book. lol

j0nesy

haha fair point!

let's instead focus on how much olivia wants to kiss kora amidst this outbreak of chitinous monsters :P

Corporal Hicks

It's more on brand for YA apparently. Which I suppose it is. A large part of Hunger Games was the love-triange amidst all the death.

SM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 23, 2020, 10:49:46 AM
I would have liked that myself. But I suppose they didn't want to get too vindictive in a YA book. lol

Yeah but Kora's mum.  :o

Corporal Hicks

I'm not sure I'd have called that vindictive though. They were certainly disappointed her, but not to the same extent it would have been satisfying had Michel had his face ripped off in a gory fashion. Though that sequence was fantastic!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed