Empire Podcast Alien: Covenant with Ridley Scott [SPOILERS]

Started by Ingwar, May 23, 2017, 06:28:58 PM

Author
Empire Podcast Alien: Covenant with Ridley Scott [SPOILERS] (Read 63,556 times)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 25, 2017, 01:36:07 AM
You didn't think the Martian was coherent?

It was, and I loved that film, but that was 100% someone else's story. Ridley doesn't seem to do too well when he's creatively involved with the writing process as he was with Prometheus and Covenant.

I remember when Scott was doing the press tour for The Martian, he confessed that he didn't read the book because he didn't want to meddle with the already great script he was given. I was amazed.

That said, Scott did plenty of meddling with Alien and Blade Runner's stories but back then the writers and producers would still say "NO!" to him when he came up with naff ideas. Hampton Fancher in particular gave him quite a hard time even though they loved working together and had great respect for each other. Whereas Lindelof was basically, "yes sir, yes sir, three bags full sir."

Fancher probably described Ridley best:

"His imagination is like a f*ckin virus - it keeps growing and spreading and mutating. Ridley's mind is almost too fast for his own good, in a way it often pulled him ahead of himself, at great speed. Then he'd stumble over it, ideas were pouring out of him so fast." - Hampton Fancher, Blade Runner Screen Writer.

TigerClaw

TigerClaw

I see these new Alien movies taking place in an alternate universe, cause when you look at the previous films starting with the 1st Alien, all the technology is very retro, and when you look at these two prequels, the tech is way more advance then what you see from the previous films, as far as continuity, I don't see how you can go from highly advance tech, to the outdated tech that you see in Alien.

If he's gonna continue making Alien movies, he might as well remake his own movie, and I can totally see that happening, since it looks like this franchise is getting the JJ Abrams Star Trek treatment of creating an alternate reality.

I take the difference in tech as the type of ships used.
The Nostromo was industrial for ore shipping. The WeylandYutani Corp wanted something durable and easily repairable while also as cheap as possible... so reliable low tech was used.

Weyland's private vessel spared no expense because he was filthy rich and this was his personal yacht.

The other movies can be similarly plotted out tech wise.

Personally, I think Alien, Alien: Isolation, and Aliens form the real trilogy and all the other movies are just Cryo-sleep dreams because it's all more enjoyable that way.

Hey, you're tell the world Ridley just, made this shit up outta thin-air. Really?

So. Alien, the movie that was so aptly named because it introduced the derelict, the xenomorph, and the space jockey. Things that appeared totally foreign to cinema goers. It all had a Lovecraftian feeling to it; an ancient derelict filled with mysteries and monsters that easily end our fellow human beings.It felt like it truly was man encountering the vast unknown and having his ass handed to him.

It was humbling, scary, and fascinating.

Ridley, you are totally stripping away the mystery, the foreignness, and the science; reducing it all to a Christianity morality play that all stems from man's lineage.

So, there's no real aliens. Nothing really foreign. You've turned your original movie title into a lie.

My reply doesn't seem to have posted (possibly due to the Youtube link), so I'll try again.
RidgeTop, respectfully, you'll find that's in reference to the spelling, not the pronunciation (as an art student, I saw the incorrect spelling many, many times). If you look up the fifty minute video 'H R Giger Revealed Documental' on Youtube, you'll hear the man himself pronounce it with an 'ee' rather than an 'eye' within the first few seconds.

SizzyBubbles

Did you mean?:
Shit that should have been explained in the films in the first place.

Sorry, It's not like this was a small, overlooked plot point that just needed some clarification. It pretty much the base of the entire film! 2 films! And was somehow 'forgotten' to be explained in the actual movie?
This smells like it was totally made up on the spot and a total cop-out. >:|

Mal

I think there's a big mistake with Prometheus and alien covenant if you  have watched all the films especially  alien vs predator then in a scene it shows the predators wiping the planet clean of the aliens this was set in the time of the Incas and Egyptian era this was way before the so say time David made the aliens

RidgeTop

Quote from: Mal on May 25, 2017, 08:56:45 PM
I think there's a big mistake with Prometheus and alien covenant if you  have watched all the films especially  alien vs predator then in a scene it shows the predators wiping the planet clean of the aliens this was set in the time of the Incas and Egyptian era this was way before the so say time David made the aliens

The Scott prequels are ignoring the AVP continuity, as they did with Peter Weyland in Prometheus.

Abed

My first two attempts to reply haven't posted, so I'll try again.
Respectfully, the website quote is in regards to the spelling, not the pronunciation (in my time as an art student, I saw the incorrect spelling many, many times). You can hear the man himself pronounce it with an 'eee' sound in the opening seconds of this documentary: https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=kK3Jcwr0T2g

Abed

My apologies, the video on the website didn't show up for me at first. Turns out we were both sticking up for the same pronunciation (I thought you were pushing for Giger as in eye). Oh, what a day...

N-Shifter

Yeah, there's really no point in trying to makes sense of it by putting the Alien series and AvP series into the same continuity, the AvP movies are in a different universe, an offshoot like a Freddy v Jason movie.

Cp

This is really bad. Wow.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

Listened through the interview. Scott seemed awfully ambiguous when it came to the subject of the Queen's future inclusion... If that doesn't occur, this new series is going to be looked at as a completely alternative time-line intended to replace 'Alien' in totality.

Also, his voice and rambling strangeness now officially reminds me of an old 'Fast Show' sketch character.

Dan

I think Prometheus and Covenant needed to be an other franchise than Alien.

If Scott not wanted to be coherent with things like Space Jockey, Alien Queen than why force it? He could still use Giger's elements but tell a different story.

And thats very disturbing because Blomkamp cant do he's vision because Ridley doing Prometheus sequel what using xenos but not keen on to follow the franchise's rules.

Bishop2

Quote from: RidgeTop on May 25, 2017, 09:00:06 PM

The Scott prequels are ignoring the AVP continuity, as they did with Peter Weyland in Prometheus.

Peter Weyland can still be reconciled easily... it's no tougher than reconciling Charles Bishop Weyland with the supposedly human Bishop creator (Michael) at the end of A3.

It isn't until this film that the continuities no longer match. Basically, you could have all of the films in A/P/AVP line up fine until Covenant came along.

Hell, I suppose they could even introduce something later that would make it possible to re-align them - but that's not something I expect, given that we know Scott has no reason/concern with doing so. It would basically be a happy accident if it occurred.

Nunzilla

Quote from: N-Shifter on May 25, 2017, 09:45:48 PM

Yeah, there's really no point in trying to makes sense of it by putting the Alien series and AvP series into the same continuity, the AvP movies are in a different universe, an offshoot like a Freddy v Jason movie.

Unless I'm missing something, isn't the only thing that brought Aliens and Predator together in the first place was the Dark Horse comics series and the trophy room Alien skull that Danny Glover sees at the end of P2?  It's not like the two universes were combined prior to that.  I actually own two of the AvP comic mini-series.

Anyhow, I could care less how Predator plays into the Aliens timeline as I feel that was mostly just a money grab for two franchises that didn't have a path forward at the time.

gantarat

Quote from: Nunzilla on May 26, 2017, 03:44:16 PM
Quote from: N-Shifter on May 25, 2017, 09:45:48 PM

Unless I'm missing something, isn't the only thing that brought Aliens and Predator together in the first place was the Dark Horse comics series and the trophy room Alien skull that Danny Glover sees at the end of P2?  It's not like the two universes were combined prior to that.  I actually own two of the AvP comic mini-series.

Anyhow, I could care less how Predator plays into the Aliens timeline as I feel that was mostly just a money grab for two franchises that didn't have a path forward at the time.

AvP very big deal in 90's After Predator 2 and Original AvP Comics.

Even Aliens toyline (Hive Wars) has Predator model.

Nunzilla

Quote from: gantarat on May 26, 2017, 04:08:16 PM

AvP very big deal in 90's After Predator 2 and Original AvP Comics.

Even Aliens toyline (Hive Wars) has Predator model.

Thanks, I do understand that.  I'm in my mid 40s so I've seen the movies and read the comics when they released.  My point was that the AvP connection wasn't an original part of the Alien storyline, so I don't see harm with Ridley not considering that canon.  I do realize many fans like the connection.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed