A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered?

Started by Wobblyboddle77, Jul 03, 2018, 11:31:07 PM

Author
A Series Set In The ‘Alien’ Universe Being Considered? (Read 47,563 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Jul 08, 2018, 10:35:23 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 08:23:14 PM
So they use terms like bug hunt, yet don't have the requisite capabilities to detect non-human life onboard their own ship?

They do.  Bishop accesses them on the flight recorder.

Ripley specifically asked Bishop if the sensors picked up "anything moving around on the ship prior to separation."  She was clearly referring to motion trackers.

Bishop would have also been privy to the neuroscan data since it all went into the computer.

OpenMaw

As per earlier drafts - Ripley was talking about cameras.

Facts... getting in the way of... grumblegrumblebullshitgrumble...

SM

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2018, 10:49:01 PM
Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 08:23:14 PM
So they use terms like bug hunt, yet don't have the requisite capabilities to detect non-human life onboard their own ship?

They do.  Bishop accesses them on the flight recorder.

Ripley specifically asked Bishop if the sensors picked up "anything moving around on the ship prior to separation."  She was clearly referring to motion trackers.

Bishop would have also been privy to the neuroscan data since it all went into the computer.

I hadn't considered the scanners.  I just figured the ship picked up something moving around of a size that could only be a facehugger.

Huggs

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2018, 09:55:30 PM

And they did.  We saw them.  Maybe they could have been "recalibrated" to detect the motion of the hamsters, but I don't see how that would have helped them detect a motionless egg.

Ah, my apologies. I was not referring to the motion trackers carried by the marines. I was referring to the onboard systems, ships AI, whatever they may have had. If such a system was incapable of locating and warning the crew of an unknown biological presence, then given the information obtained from Ripley before arrival, surely something could've been set to search for signs of non-human biological material. Motion aside. Could there not exist any technology that could identify and locate such a thing? Especially given the fact that they're familiar with "bugs". Surely the military of the future can detect the presence of biological weapons or unknown materials onboard their ships?

SM

QuoteIt would've been nice to know they had the capability to check for such contaminants in real-time.

I don't believe they do.

Ripley had to actively conduct a focused search using the medscan.  It's not like it had picked it up after evacuating the Sulaco and there was a message waiting for her after the crash saying 'You have 1 new embryo in your chest'.

If they had used something like PUPs, then that's a different matter.

Local Trouble

Are the PUPs anything more than flying 3D imaging machines?

SM

Mostly.  But they can detect lifeforms.

Huggs

Quote from: SM on Jul 08, 2018, 11:05:54 PM

That's right. It was only after Elba informed them the pups were picking up a life-form that the question about movement was brought up. So perhaps they could also detect non moving organic matter as well.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eT_Q_iAnmys

Mostly.

Can you say that without sounding like Newt in my head?

SM

I could try but - it won't make any difference.

426Buddy

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2018, 11:09:45 PM

Heh... Why don't you put her in charrrrrge?!

whiterabbit

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jul 08, 2018, 11:25:53 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reApQlk5JiA

Heh... Why don't you put her in charrrrrge?!
Hey maybe you haven't been keeping up with current events for the past 26 years but she's dead, Jim.

CainsSon

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 10:56:49 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Jul 08, 2018, 09:55:30 PM

And they did.  We saw them.  Maybe they could have been "recalibrated" to detect the motion of the hamsters, but I don't see how that would have helped them detect a motionless egg.

Ah, my apologies. I was not referring to the motion trackers carried by the marines. I was referring to the onboard systems, ships AI, whatever they may have had. If such a system was incapable of locating and warning the crew of an unknown biological presence, then given the information obtained from Ripley before arrival, surely something could've been set to search for signs of non-human biological material. Motion aside. Could there not exist any technology that could identify and locate such a thing? Especially given the fact that they're familiar with "bugs". Surely the military of the future can detect the presence of biological weapons or unknown materials onboard their ships?

"That platform was becoming unstable. I had to circle around..." er something. So anything couldve climbe don board during that first land. NO?

Delta Echo Alpha Delta

Quote from: Huggs on Jul 08, 2018, 11:08:37 PM

That's right. It was only after Elba informed them the pups were picking up a life-form that the question about movement was brought up. So perhaps they could also detect non moving organic matter as well.

Wasn't it the Engineer in Hypersleep that was being detected? As for the Hammerpedes, perhaps they couldn't be detected because they were submerged, do we have evidence they could be seen if they were also cold-blooded?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed