William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 150,715 times)

Russ840

Russ840

I really quite liked the art in the first 2 issues but it seemed that the art was rushed and more inconsistent by the end.

May be due to trying to hit targets for issue release dates.

skhellter

skhellter

Wasn't this comic announced back in December 2017?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Nah. It was teased last Alien Day, announced July.

Russ840

Russ840

Yeah. Im pretty sure this was released on schedule.

?

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Mar 27, 2019, 07:34:16 PM
RidgeTop and I are going to be chatting to him on Monday. So as usual I'd like to open the floor to questions.

You will be chatting with William Gibson?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Johnnie Christmas.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

Ah okay well I'd like to ask - How did you decide to distinguish the mutated Xenomorph from the normal one? What are the biological differences between the two creatures?

Whiskeybrewer

Whiskeybrewer

I did enjoy this series as a whole but did feel that this final issue was rushed. To me it felt like it needed one more issue.

But i agree with the notion of them continuing in this Gibsonverse

Deaconschristpose

Deaconschristpose

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Mar 27, 2019, 05:40:39 PM
Just read through all 5 issues and overall I'm satisfied with this adaptation. It's an interesting take on the lore and it was fun seeing an alternate script get an "official" treatment. Reading the whole story in one go is such a better experience as my main critique was the slow build up which works with film but translates to an uneventful first couple of issues; however, the final two issues are quite a ride and ultimately left me intrigued as to where and how this alternate universe would continue on.

Quote from: Deaconschristpose on Mar 27, 2019, 05:13:46 PM
What happened to Newt? Did I miss something?

She was shuttled back to Earth on the Sulaco in issue 3

I figured I'd forgotten. Going monthly with a story can do that to me apparently.  I guess I was also expecting her to have more of a presence, I've never read the script.

Overall, I thought the comic was well done, the story was ok. Call me crazy but I think I like the film we got more, though I'm very curious to see how the action of this comic would've looked on film.

The Dutch Ghost

The Dutch Ghost

Hello all,

I have not posted here in a long time (I think the last time I was here was several years ago after I had just played and finished Aliens: Infestation)

I just finished this mini series and wanted to share my thoughts with other people who have read it. Of course my opinion/review doesn't matter as much as those of long term posters and perhaps more dedicated fans on this forum.
So if you don't care for the thoughts of a newbie just ignore it.

First of all I am a really critical Alien fan, really critical.
For example while I like Aliens as a sci-fi action movie I personally feel now that adding the queen was a mistake to the alien mythology and have come to prefer the egg morphing idea instead. (feels more truly bizarre/extraterrestrial for me)
And I don't like that the aliens are now akin to bees or ants in space.
Edit: I did not care really for Prometheus and Covenant at all and disliked the movie storylines and ideas/revelations behind the Pilots.

Likewise I am pretty critical of the Expanded Universe/spin off material. I definitely love some of the games such as Infestation, Isolation, AvP2, and older games like Alien 3 on the SNES, Sega - 16 bit, and Gameboy. Oh and the AvP game as an action game, not so much as an alien game.
I have read almost all of the comics by Dark Horse (perhaps I missed a few here and there) and some of the AvP ones. But I have not read any of the books and have little interest to do so after reading their description.
Well that is not entirely true, I am currently reading the Cold Forge after reading the recommendations here.
But in general I am not a big fan of the expanded universe; the only Aliens comic that I genuinely liked was Aliens Apocalypse: The Destroying Angels. (and Predator Hell and Hot Water by the same writer)

Okay reintroduction story over, I just wanted to give some background on my own interest in the franchise.

In general I really like William Gibson's Alien 3 (second script) and if this has been a movie I would have watched it even if it may have been a little slow as other people here might have pointed out.
I definitely would have preferred it over the Alien 3 movie we got even if I do love the atmosphere of that one. (just don't care much for the characters)

In comparison to the first script by Gibson for Alien 3 which felt more like trying to do Aliens over again this one was more subdued (hope I am using that word right) and plot building which I really enjoyed.
I also happen to be a fan of the DNA-reflex/alien genetic material can spread like a virus. It is a little underused perhaps here in the story as it could have been a cool plot device that both the characters and watchers/readers would not know who is infected.

Of course the story also has a few cons.
The major ones here perhaps being the art or in particular sometimes the art style as I like others here really had hoped that the UPP Interceptor design had been something different and like the UPP warship had been more in the style of something Syd Mead would have made up. The artist should perhaps really have consulted his art book or designs by other designers or fans in a similar style.

Edit: and the Kansas for that matter. I would rather have seen something like the Legato being reused https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/File:USS_Legato.jpg

The art itself also really lacked some of the detail that we have seen in some of the other current Alien mini series.

The second criticism is another issue also brought up here; the page count. After the slow buildup in the first three issues it really feels that the story had to be finished, this story could really have used a sixth issue for the second half/last part of the story as the characters seek to escape from the station.

That was indeed rather a disappointment.

Still I would put this one next to the other comic I mentioned I might pick up from time to time and read again.

Oh I would also love to see more stories in this "Gibsonverse" though I doubt that that will happen.

Still Collating...

This was such a disappointment. The art was not good IMO. Can't make out and recognize the faces of Hicks and Bishop in too many panels. The coloring was worse, mostly in that it doesn't work at all with Alien. I really can't judge the story because the art was so distracting. I'm sure with a different take, more moody lighting and a darker color scheme that the story would be presented better.
As of now, I really didn't enjoy the comic. Yet I do want to see these scripts get made, like Wards one especially. Just pick the right artist for the job.

No offense to the creator, I'm sure their work would be perfect in a different story, I just personally didn't enjoy this.

Wweyland

Wweyland

I've only skimmed through this, waiting for the TPB to be released.
Seems like Hicks didn't really do anything here? Maybe it's just the problem that I am unable to distinguish him from others.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Quote from: Still Collating... on Mar 28, 2019, 08:32:08 PM
. I'm sure with a different take, more moody lighting and a darker color scheme that the story would be presented better. .

My primary critique would be that the coloring was too bright. A more muted palette would've truly improved the atmosphere in my opinion.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Im still waiting on the last issue but ive enjoyed the series so far. I havent had the problems other people seem to be having recognizing people and keeping track of whats happening. The only complaint i have is that the coloring is indeed too bright.

Otherwise its been a fun little what if.

SeegsonRep

SeegsonRep

I had to re read almost a whole back issue every time I started a new issue and several times I flipped through the entire series and recapped what is going on on each page leading up to where I was confused at. The story was trash, waaaay too convoluted for this medium. Hicks and Bishop were mostly indistinguishable as many have pointed out and Hicks and Newt were largely irrelevant. I didn't care about a single character except for Hicks, Newt, and Ripley and caring for them is due to Aliens not Gibson's Alien 3 anyways. Art was meh but while I'm certainly qualified to judge a narrative i'm relatively new to judging art so take my comments on the art with a grain of salt.

Overall I'm super happy for new Alien anything and glad the franchise is still putting fresh shoots out into the sunlight however, the story just wasn't there on this one and the art was just ok I guess.  Possibly if you've read his script, this will work for you as it's kind of like someone's notes on a story rather than a whole story. Bottom line, there's nothing remarkable about it at all I'm sad to say.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed