Disney Halting Backlog Physical Media Releases (Including Fox Titles)

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Aug 10, 2020, 05:09:31 PM

Author
Disney Halting Backlog Physical Media Releases (Including Fox Titles) (Read 13,031 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 14, 2019, 11:41:28 PM
I think it's time to stop with the physical media.  Get with the times, people.

Nightmare Asylum

I definitely stream, and typically have a few different services at any given time, but if I like something I want to own it. "Content" (because that's what films and television are being reduced to) can be pulled from a streaming service at any time, or hidden behind an additional paywall as Mulan is now showing. And a 4K disc is going to look and sound better than a 4K stream under most conditions.

Streaming absolutely has its place, and I will be the first to vouch for that. But that place isn't as a replacement for physical media, at least for me.

kwisatz

Quote from: TC on Aug 11, 2020, 03:37:17 AM
Curse you, James Cameron!

You've had 15 years to get The Abyss out on blu-ray, 5 years for the UHD. Now all I'm left with is that crap DVD in letterboxed 4:3.

THIS IS NOT ACCEPTABLE!

https://www.filmstories.co.uk/features/true-lies-the-abyss-and-the-blu-ray-4k-problem/

TC

Haha, what's with the 480 pages thread on T2's 4K release. Arnolds eyebrows pink or something??  :laugh:

Local Trouble

Did Cameron make it bluer?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: kwisatz on Aug 11, 2020, 04:05:22 AM
T2's 4K release.
Quote from: kwisatz on Aug 11, 2020, 04:05:22 AM
pink

This combination of words angers me. There are no more pink lasers in the opening future war sequence in the 4K version. >:(

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 11, 2020, 04:07:44 AM
Did Cameron make it bluer?

It doesn't get any bluer.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Completely unintended. I assure you, pal! I own the darn thing on DVD lulz, pink lasers all the way :laugh:

But that's not the (main) reason for the massive grievances, I hope?

Here seems to be the problem. Click on a frame and then Preview and with the mouse over the big one. Jaaa... it does look kinda fakey, waxy indeed... probably more so on a good TV.

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=350&y=303&d1=11905&d2=11117&s1=117385&s2=109138&l=0&i=10&go=1

And yea, bluer too..

Explosion (15) now looks more like a magma blob rolling over the police car   ;D

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Aug 11, 2020, 03:47:08 AM
I definitely stream, and typically have a few different services at any given time, but if I like something I want to own it.

-------

Streaming absolutely has its place, and I will be the first to vouch for that. But that place isn't as a replacement for physical media, at least for me.

Agreed. It's the same with gaming and the digital marketplaces. I want to be able to own my games. I want to be able to still play or watch when servers go down, or licensing deals go sour, or Skynet f**king takes over and I've still got some solar panels. I well and truly loathe this digital world when it comes to ownership.

BlueMarsalis79

Advice then, buy your stuff on GoG, or get them somewhere without DRM that when you download it, you own it.

SM

Not overly bothered. If it's Star Wars or Alien or a small handful of other things I'd like a 'hardcopy', but most things I watch once then never again. Streaming's good for that.

Janek

Sorry for derailing this thread but is the news that Disney is shelving 20th Century Fox being discussed on this forum anywhere? Thanks!

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-53747270

SiL

They changed the name to 20th Century Studios not too long ago. It's still running their catalogue, just a different name.

20th Television is a profoundly moronic title I hope they change. The fanfare is still there in both.

Janek

Ah ok thanks for explaining!

D88M

Well they are disney, i dont expect anything from them but the destruction of everything i love.

Drukathi

I only care about the blu-ray of Alien franchise and the Predator in second place.

But even without (before) Disney - Alien 4K is reality. Aliens 4K - a probable reality. But Alien 3 / Resurrection are not. These films are simply not popular enough. As a last resort, we could get a lazy 4K upscale. Nobody will bother with these two.

Adam802

Sigh, well I guess ill hold on to my Alien 4k UHD and my 2010 Alien Anthology set.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed