Randy Pitchford Talks Aliens: Colonial Marines

Started by ikarop, May 04, 2012, 08:12:31 PM

Author
Randy Pitchford Talks Aliens: Colonial Marines (Read 43,119 times)

SM

Ripley has an arc - it just doesn't really kick in until Clemens and Andrews are killed and she finds herself in charge.  Which is halfway through the film, and she, and the film are a bit directionless until that point.

Barringer

Quote from: SM on May 08, 2012, 04:34:17 AM
Ripley has an arc - it just doesn't really kick in until Clemens and Andrews are killed and she finds herself in charge.  Which is halfway through the film, and she, and the film are a bit directionless until that point.

Well, I'm interested in any redeeming qualities this film has, but how is her arc in being in charge in this film different than in Aliens?

SM

The underlying hostility of those she leads.  That wasn't in Aliens - she earned the marines trust by driving in after them.

But it's more the attitude of "We have to kill it".  There's no escape in this one.  In Alien it's we have to kill it; no, now we have to get away from it.  In Aliens it's much the same.  Problem comes halfway through the second half when she finds out about the Queen she's carrying.  The attitude has to shift from "We have to kill it" to "We have to kill it AND me".  Gone is "I got you, you son of a bitch" and "Get away from her, you bitch" defiance and it's replaced by "I want you to kill me.  No prayers" resignation

She goes from someone who will fight to the very last to being resigned that she's going to die.  In the workprint, the old attitude resurfaces when she considers Bishop II's offer for 40+ seconds.  In the AC and TC the decision is made more or less in an instant and there's no consideration of going back.

Barringer

Is the workprint available anywhere?

SM

SM

Possibly on Youtube.  Or via Torrents.  Or 25th generation VHS (which is what I have).

Mechafist

Mechafist

But they did, they gave them tattoos...

Not iconic ones of course but if you know what the "tear" means you will know at least more about Gregor, the tear probably indicates that he killed one person.

Xenomrph

The baldness (and the religious elements) is probably a symbolic carryover from the "wooden planet" script draft where all the prisoners were originally monks.

SM

Quote from: Mechafist on May 08, 2012, 01:16:22 PM
But they did, they gave them tattoos...

Not iconic ones of course but if you know what the "tear" means you will know at least more about Gregor, the tear probably indicates that he killed one person.

I think you're talking about Junior.

Again same problem.

Boggs had a big crucifix on his forehead - which is difficult to see because of his skin colour.  Right idea - wrong dude.

Barringer

Gregor had the barcode tattoo on the back of his head, Junior had the tear drop, right?

SM

All prisoners - current or former - had barcodes.

Gregor was a non entity until Dillon beat the shit out of him and he had to wear that bandage on his head.

Mechafist

Mechafist

Quote from: SM on May 08, 2012, 10:50:10 PM
I think you're talking about Junior.

My bad  :P...

Sully

Quote from: SM on May 06, 2012, 11:07:46 PM
QuoteIts back to Alien-status, that is to say, the derelict is there with no atmosphere.  Thats the whole f**king reason Dallas' crew were wearing space-suits.

The AP station blowing up isn't instantly going to undo 20 years worth of terraforming.

Oh.  I don't have your experience in terraforming, silly me.

Xenomrph

Well he's right - if the AP station is pumping stuff into the air for 20 years, enough to let people breathe unassisted, having the station go away isn't going to make all that breathable air just vanish instantly.

Predaker

Scenes like the ending of Total Recall come to mind...  :D lol

Funny how quicky Arnold was able to breathe once the machines started pumping air into the sky.

chupacabras acheronsis

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 10, 2012, 04:12:38 PM
Well he's right - if the AP station is pumping stuff into the air for 20 years, enough to let people breathe unassisted, having the station go away isn't going to make all that breathable air just vanish instantly.

yes but the heat output of the AP ceasing would drop the temperature way below living conditions.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed