Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 145,760 times)

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: bunnyavpg on Mar 06, 2012, 10:26:15 AM
I never quite saw the point of the Nostromo, why send a ship light years from Earth when we have more than enough asteroids in our own back yard.

Unobtainium ;D

But seriously, there's a lot of reasons they could be mining that far out in space. That's where fanwank comes in ;)

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 06, 2012, 01:22:36 AM
Quote from: ChrisPachi on Mar 06, 2012, 01:20:27 AM
Mining, hence the Nostromo. And remember that the viral is suggesting that Peter Weyland reveals something world changing so using the world as it is now as a starting point is useless IMO. Something big changes it into the fictional world of the Alien series.
There ain't exactly much to mine in our solar system, unless we want to go destroy Mars looking for oil :P
I really hope that "big change" is sufficiently plausible :-\

I never quite saw the point of the Nostromo, why send a ship light years from Earth when we have more than enough asteroids in our own back yard.

assuming we haven't mined them all already?

acidpits

acidpits

Sorry to interrupt but has anyone noticed that the image of Earth on the site contains a single blinking star... anyone know morse code?

before you guys think it's probably nothing, note that the single pixel for the blinking star has an interesting name given to it:
https://www.weylandindustries.com/img/findme.gif

Eldritch

Eldritch

It says "I Luv Justin Bieber"...  ??? ??? ???

T Dog

T Dog

There is indeed a single blinking star, nice spot. I'm guessing that's the direction they are heading in Prometheus.

OmegaZilla

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Gunflyer on Mar 05, 2012, 03:17:38 AM
If I am an engineer, speculating on the kinds of dangers we may face in deep space exploration, you can bet your sweet bippy that I am going to make armor that can resist bullets, intense heat and... oh, yes, and ACID too.
I'll re-iterate: an acid which is the blood of an otherwordly creature we have never had the chance to analyze properly?

harlock

harlock

As an aside, I feel it is entirely mandatory for us to go further out into space in the future, even if its only colonising Mars and some moons of Jupiter; one day our Sun is going to peter out and die, taking Mercury, Venus and Earth with it.

With the sun gone aswell, even if we have colonised as far as Jupiter's moons, we still have to think about the problems of no heat and light from the Sun, no solar energy and an alternative has to be found.

A great story in the manga 2001 Nights had a ship travel protected in an asteroid of ice at STL speed to find another Earth-like planet to colonise. The humans on the ship were frozen samples to be made into fetus' and raised on ship by androids when they reached a planet and spent some time in orbit until the babies grew to a suitable age.

Heres the twist;
Spoiler
the ancestor of the donors for the ship in the future tracked where the ship would head and used their FTL ship to terraform the planet and then left, leaving it a beautiful garden world for them, hundreds of years before the ship above reached it.
[close]

8) In all seriousness though, we are a doomed race if we do not reach out to space to move home before our Sun dies.

SM

SM

Only got about 5 billion years to do something about it!

One problem with colonising Jupiters moons is the radiation.

Vulhala

Vulhala

We're a long way from colonising anything unfortunately. Even our own moon is out of reach at the moment  :(

T Dog

T Dog

What would you all think if all the Weyland technology is stolen from the gods?

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

Quote from: OmegaZilla on Mar 06, 2012, 11:34:59 AM
Quote from: Gunflyer on Mar 05, 2012, 03:17:38 AM
If I am an engineer, speculating on the kinds of dangers we may face in deep space exploration, you can bet your sweet bippy that I am going to make armor that can resist bullets, intense heat and... oh, yes, and ACID too.
I'll re-iterate: an acid which is the blood of an otherwordly creature we have never had the chance to analyze properly?

Acids be acids. It must be some other corrosive substance. The humans call it an acid because that's how it appears to them. Unless the future military isn't ready for Teflon.

-Chris

bunnyavpg

bunnyavpg

Quote from: AvatarIII on Mar 06, 2012, 10:46:07 AM
Mining, hence the Nostromo. And remember that the viral is suggesting that Peter Weyland reveals something world changing so using the world as it is now as a starting point is useless IMO. Something big changes it into the fictional world of the Alien series.
There ain't exactly much to mine in our solar system, unless we want to go destroy Mars looking for oil :P

A single asteroid could contain more precious metals than all that has been mined from the Earth in our history. And as there are thousands of asteroids...

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 06, 2012, 01:16:04 AM
Of course, you're view is probably more optimistic. I guess we'll just have to see what happens :P A more interesting argument is whether we should even start moving out into space in the first place...

The answer to that is easy. Yes. We either do, or the human race dies. There's no if about it. It's a when. The dinosaurs are our warning.

I consider the economic downturn to be exactly what it is. A temporary, painful thing we have to go through. We've seen this before. Economies go up, they go down, they come back up again. The only difference is the severity and length in the dips and spikes. We'll come back up again. Faster, if we find someone who creates something revolutionary. (Creates something that plants the seeds for new industry). Something like a new power source.

So I think in that respect the movie/this viral video are not too far off the track from what we need. A man with vision and ambition. (we need many men and women like that willing to put their hears, minds, and money into space.)

Quote from: bunnyavpg on Mar 06, 2012, 01:00:31 PM
Quote from: AvatarIII on Mar 06, 2012, 10:46:07 AM

A single asteroid could contain more precious metals than all that has been mined from the Earth in our history. And as there are thousands of asteroids...

what if they are all already owned by other companies? what if there was a massive war that destroyed many of them? what if our assumptions on their composition are wrong? or perhaps there's something specific that our asteroids don't have much of, but other ones in other systems do? since it is never mentioned we can never know, but you just have to suspend your disbelief.

Pn2501

Pn2501

i'm surprised you guys aren't talking about the findme.gif

people over here are going nuts about it

http://www.prometheusforum.net/discussion/comment/6732#Comment_6732

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed