Neill Blomkamp Shares New Alien 5 Concept Art

Started by RidgeTop, Dec 27, 2017, 04:04:57 AM

Author
Neill Blomkamp Shares New Alien 5 Concept Art (Read 74,030 times)

Immortan Jonesy

With a decent script, his talent and of course his passion for the franchise, it's pretty safe to say that Neill Blomkamp can make a good Alien film.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: SpeedyMaxx on Dec 28, 2017, 02:35:15 AM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Dec 27, 2017, 09:57:15 PM
But yeah, the guy makes bad movies cause I don't likes his Alien movie proposal.

I saw them. They were bad.

Quote from: Hellspawn28 on Dec 28, 2017, 02:41:56 AM
Quote from: N-Shifter on Dec 27, 2017, 08:45:28 PM
I want his take on it because it's been nearly 30 years since the last good/great Alien movie, I don't know why people are so against it, at this point what do we really have to lose?

I feel like he would ruin the point of Alien 3. What makes Alien 3 so great is the dark tone in the story with the characters being killed off. Alien 3 is a reverse summer blockbuster which is why I love it. People want the Alien series to have a happy ending like a Star Wars movie. When Alien is not meant to be Star Wars. Save that shit for the family friendly movies.

I've come to love Alien³ over the years, but I don't think this film would undermine it. Blomkamp himself said "I'm not trying to undo Alien³ or Alien Resurrection." This would likey be an alternate sequel and one wouldn't be canon over the other. It would be up to the fans to decide, which is honestly how I feel the series needs to go at this point. Like the comics, they should just have multiple continuities. Things have gotten too convoluted to keep it as a singular one. And I don't think there's any evidence the film would have a happy ending, for all we know maybe Ripley and Hicks die taking out a Weyland Yutani installation. The ironic thing is that Ridley Scott is the one who wants Alien to be Star Wars.

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Dec 27, 2017, 11:44:51 PM
I legitimately don't understand the instant negative response to the Blomkamp idea when we still hardly know anything about it.

Alien hasn't had an objectively good film in years, and people would rather Fox triple down on Ridley Scott after both of his prequels were met with a mixed response? Sure let's let Ridley sit around for a few years and decide what he wants to do with a franchise that isn't even his.

I'd rather see other things happen within a franchise that, in my opinion, has been viewed through a keyhole for many, many years.

Agreed. I've never seen the kind of widespread excitement for a new Alien film as I have with this, but a faction of fans just take this idea as an affront to the franchise and Alien³ in particular. This is an idea that's truly unique that could meld with Blomkamp's signature style. I'm really just ready for someone to make an Alien film who's actually a fan of them. When he's talking about how much he enjoyed Isolation and wants to incorporate elements of it, it shows how cued in he is to the franchise at large and that he's willing to take input from interesting areas, as opposed to Scott who seemingly only cares for his vision and nothing else.

Also, I think people are focusing too heavily on his three feature films (two really because one is near universally praised), and not giving him enough credit for what he's done with Oats Studios. Shorts or feature length that's still directorial experience that shouldn't be overlooked, I mean Fincher was given the job from what he did with music videos and advertisements. These shorts have near universal acclaim, and he's already worked with ADI on them. That experience with ADI would likely make for a strong collaboration on an Alien project.

Scott had two chances and both films were incredibly divisive among fans and general audiences. Hell if they want to let him finish his trilogy I'll roll my eyes but still go to see it. I just think it's time something be made of this, one way or the other. They should either officially cancel it and give us an art book, script, graphic novel, whatever, or just do it already.

Huggs

A few random thoughts here.

Wouldn't it be a head trip if sometime in the future, we heard news that Cameron was in talks to return to this franchise. Ridley did it, so why not Cameron? If Cameron did though, would it be in the same style as Aliens? I can't see him doing anything else.

In regards to bringing back characters like Ripley and such, is it really necessary that her character or anyone else from the old movies be involved in any sequels to the original films? If that happens, and they retcon anything, are they basically saying the series revolves and can only truly exist around these particular characters? I really hope that's not a direction Disney chooses.

The idea of any future Alien films being made in the same spirit of Aliens is a hot button issue to say the least. While I personally prefer a lone alien doing its thing, wouldn't a sequel in the 1986 style be the natural direction the series was progressing? We went from a handful of people on the Nostromo to colonial marines dropships, planet colonization, Alien queens etc. It really was a big jump. To go full tilt Alien 1979 again would have been one heck of a slowdown. Had the transition been gradual, it may have been different, but Gibson's Alien 3 was (I think) a more accurate representation of the natural progression.

Perhaps, the fallout of Ripley's death and the events immediately following it are the proper way to go for Alien 5. Hicks and Newt would still be dead as well, as would Bishop. You have the opportunity to go Alien 1986 without rehashing old characters and storylines. Wey-Yu is panicking at the death of Ripley. Send in the Marines with some science officers to try and recover a sample from the original derelict. We'd get to see more of the cave system. Maybe the movie revolves around their survival in the derelict, maybe things go bad back at the lab and the film ends on a cliffhanger with a grown Alien escaping into the vent system at Wey-Yu. A bloody and mutilated grate is seen on the wall, as science personnel stare at it in horror.

A slower film could involve a crew dispatched to search for the Nostromo, with disastrous results. They find the derelict and never make it off the surface. Whether the fight for survival is fought in the derelict, the caves, or inside their own landing craft would be up to the writers. Heck you could even include a quick scene of them finding David's remains, a little nod to the prequels. Either way, we don't really need to have Weaver around to make an Alien film. There's a lot of good characters out there just waiting to be written.

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 28, 2017, 12:26:16 AM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Dec 27, 2017, 11:34:15 PM

No. It's because they fit those respective parts of the film, and the film makers weren't disgruntled people on the internet worried about "souring" their movie with "Teh pulse rifles."

You're taking the mickey, obviously.

The pulse rifles in Alien 3 weren't even the same.  Different colouring, different sound effect.

Of course it would be the same ship as the Sulaco because it's a sequel.

They reused queen from Aliens in A:R as well.

A pulse rifle is a pulse rifle. Gun go boom. Does it matter.

Ash 937

Frankly, I have a lot more faith in the resurrection of the Predator franchise than any future Alien sequels.
Quote from: Huggs on Dec 28, 2017, 05:09:19 AM
Heck you could even include a quick scene of them finding David's remains, a little nod to the prequels.

This.

And you could take the franchise in an entirely new direction similar to Blade Runner 2049.

BishopShouldGo

You could plug David into any scenario. He's a robot. Let Ripley come across him and have him be rebooted somehow.

Scorpio

You have to give the David character a proper ending first.

Valentine Hale

Valentine Hale

To be very honest i don't like the idea of Blomkamp's sequel, there's been already enough retcons in the franchise to add a another HUGE one besides i like Alien 3 and even Resurrection. Honestly i kinda thank this project was cancelled.

What the Alien franchise needs is to take a new root following new characters, new environments (just try to imagine a Rogue One-like movie with Aliens set on Earth) and expand the universe in more refreshing ways.

SM

QuoteThe ironic thing is that Ridley Scott is the one who wants Alien to be Star Wars.

He didn't say that.

Scorpio

Quote from: Valentine Hale on Dec 28, 2017, 07:43:07 AM

What the Alien franchise needs is to take a new root following new characters, new environments (just try to imagine a Rogue One-like movie with Aliens set on Earth) and expand the universe in more refreshing ways.

I was thinking about this earlier.  We have a David trilogy, a Ripley trilogy.  So if they want further sequels, create a new and really interesting and great character that is nothing like Ripley or David, and that we will want to follow for maybe 3 movies.

Forget about bringing back old characters, let go of the past and start fresh if they truly want to save this franchise.

Russ

But isn't the major hook of NB's concept that Rippers and Hicks return (whatever we personally think of that idea - we know that there's strong feelings on retconning / not retconning).

I would love to see a film in this mien, but like some, I don't know if NB is the right chap to pull it off. Look, I'm a big Paul WS Anderson fan and I really like AvP (not being ironic). But I know a lot of people really hated it (like REALLY hated it. Until AvP:R came out at least). On paper, Anderson seems like the perfect guy to do a Alien or Predator movie.

His most critically acclaimed film might as well be set in the Alien-verse, he's a massive fan-boy, he did and commissioned a shit-tonne of awesome concept art (that we see some of the in the special features).... it's essentially the same story we're seeing now.

But AvP didn't turn out as great as some might have hoped. For me, I've always wondered how much "studio" stuff got into AvP - we know that AvP:R was entirely derailed by Joel... Silver (I can't remember - the guy that said "no, set it in small town America" despite the entire concept involving Space Marines and Predator planet).

So this might be a concern for NB? Given the dodgy box office of Covenant, the pulling of the sequel to that movie... would Disney bankroll something ambitious? That's the key, I think. Go big, go large and give the creative team the money they need.

Doesn't always work - there was no shortage of cash for Prometheus, but that wasn't great. Then again, I was watching "Furious Gods" last night and one of the blokes said "Ridley is aware of the wider Alien universe that he created (?!?) and is respectful of it, but ultimately its just a job he did in the 70s and he's not afraid to change it up a bit."

So the counter argument "they gave him zillions of dollars and creative control... and look how that turned out." Thing is though, I don't think Ridley is particularly respectful to the lore and my guess is that NB would be (Anderson was, by and large. I think the life-cycle stuff was done for pacing... as I've said before, I don't think AvP ended the movie he pitched, wrote or wanted to make).

Scorpio

How is Ridley not respecting the lore?  There is no lore, at least not in the films.  The EU is a tangled web of half baked ideas.  He is instead creating the lore, and he of all people has the right to do that.

Quote from: Russ on Dec 28, 2017, 08:42:34 AM
But isn't the major hook of NB's concept that Rippers and Hicks return

Yes it is.  That and, another AlienS movie.

Of course having Hicks and Ripley return is a bad idea for a number of reasons:

1.  Their characters are dead.
2.  The actors are in their late 60s / early 70s by the time this gets made
3.  Sigourney Weaver and Michael Biehn haven't been in a hit movie for a long time.
4.  Fans may want this but do general audiences care?
5.  They already tried to bring Ripley back from the dead once and it failed

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Quote from: SM on Dec 28, 2017, 07:45:18 AM
QuoteThe ironic thing is that Ridley Scott is the one who wants Alien to be Star Wars.

He didn't say that.

"I think they have to. There's no reason why Alien should now not be on the same level for fans as Star Trek and Star Wars. So I think the next step as to where we go is, do we sustain the Alien (series) with the evolution of the beast or do we reinvent something else? I think you need to have an evolution on this famous beast because he's the best monster ever, really."

And earlier he said: "Star Wars will be a juggernaut. Why do you think I'm doing sequels?"

So maybe not verbatim but that's how I took it.

Quote from: Scorpio on Dec 28, 2017, 09:59:28 AM
He is instead creating the lore, and he of all people has the right to do that.

Ridley doesn't have some inherent right to the franchise other than the directorial and producer jobs the studio gives him. He's not the father of Alien as some seem to claim. He's not the George Lucas of Alien. He did a damn good job directing the original film but the art of Giger and writing of Dan O'Bannon and Ronald Shusett were equally important. If enough fans are unhappy with the modern state of the franchise, you bet the studio may alter their course and take away his creative control.

SM

He meant it should be as popular as Star Wars.

RidgeTop

Quote from: SM on Dec 28, 2017, 11:00:14 AM
He meant it should be as popular as Star Wars.

Right, but the Alien series just doesn't work that way. It'll never have that mass appeal, which is why they're better off focusing on their core demographic: the fans. The allure of the original four movies was that each one was an entirety different beast with its own directorial vision. Then Scott comes after Prometheus, saying now he wants to "keep cranking it for another six." The franchise will grow stale with such a homogeneous vision, it needs creative diversity.

The growing narrative is that people are tired of Scott's prequel series, and even one more is pushing it.

https://consequenceofsound.net/2017/07/ridley-scott-has-lost-his-marbles-over-these-alien-prequels/

https://www.tor.com/2017/09/26/ridley-scott-needs-to-stop-why-we-dont-need-any-more-alien-prequels/

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed