Alien: Ore Teaser Trailer Now Online! - Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Films

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 16, 2019, 06:39:37 PM

Author
Alien: Ore Teaser Trailer Now Online! - Alien: 40th Anniversary Short Films (Read 38,533 times)

SiL

Putting this as second best so far. Ending was incredibly dissapointing - all build for no payoff, but looked and sounded great.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 19, 2019, 09:58:20 PM"Insure." :D

As I mentioned, I figured that was a reference to the same mistake in Alien.

Either that or they just copied the '79 film's text and didn't realise it was wrong :P

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Apr 19, 2019, 10:29:23 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 19, 2019, 09:58:20 PM"Insure." :D

As I mentioned, I figured that was a reference to the same mistake in Alien.

Either that or they just copied the '79 film's text and didn't realise it was wrong :P

It has to be a reference. I thought it was cute actually, got a chuckle out of me.

SiL

It's not a mistake if you're not American ;D

Local Trouble

XenoHunter99

I think Lorraine understood that the creature can do things humans can't. It attacked that first miner from above. It used a jump attack on another miner. She was rightly cautious in suggesting the Alien could get out and follow them back to the colony. I thought Hanks was having a Gorman moment watching the miners die. 'Droid or not, she may have been having some sort of inner conflict about her orders.

I liked the ending, but it was wrong. There was nothing clever, furtive, or sneaky about the Alien's approach. It charged into 3 armed and waiting humans with animal rage. Intellectually, it had more in common with the Covenant xeno than the original Big Chap. Outcome: Death for all. I expect the miners would inflict grievous harm with their mining drills, but the Alien would bathe any survivors in its acid blood. Game Over for all of them.

Also, it looks like life in a W-Y colony sucks! These miners are killing themselves just to get by, and the job is generational. There's no upward mobility, no stability, and no guarantee The Company will not sacrifice them to get hold of a lethal alien lifeform. Definitely a dystopian future.

SM

Aliens in the second film charged at people with guns.  The ones in this didn't even have guns.

XenoHunter99

Aliens in the second movie were under the command of a rather stupid queen. She wasted resources for little real gain.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Gain huh? Never expected a Queen to know much about that.

SM

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Apr 20, 2019, 01:08:07 AM
Aliens in the second movie were under the command of a rather stupid queen. She wasted resources for little real gain.

Yeah.

That'd be it...

JungleHunter87

JungleHunter87

It defiantly hasn't topped Specimen for me personally. But, this was really good!

The Alien was done really well for the budget and I appreciate the use of sound effects to supplement for the lack of budget, to show the Alien killing all the miners. That scream as the axe was dropped worked really well!

Hope the last two are on this level or better than Specimen.

bacchus

bacchus

I'm starting to feel like I'm wasting my time with these shorts. Yet another unoriginal, paint-by-numbers derivative short. Why are all of these set on mining colonies (save for the first short)? Why are the leads all female? Why do they all include a chestburster? Why do they all end up being "character creeps around in the dark with a facehugger/xeno lurking in the shadows"? Where's the originality? All of the scenes in these shorts just seem to be cut and pasted together from the original films in terms of story.

Anyway.

This was reasonably well shot, the cinematography, lighting and sound were all passable and an improvement on the dire technical flaws of last week's short. It was nice to see a Xeno for the first time, but once again budget restrictions rear their ugly head and mean we were limited to quick shots of it. Enjoyed the attention to detail with the displays on the monitors appearing to be from the same filmmaking era as the original Alien.

I've given up expecting there to be anything special/unique/new/innovative in terms of story or ideas for these shorts, and unfortunately the technical deficiencies mean I can't enjoy them for what they are as they don't feel polished enough - the obvious budget limitations take an immersion away. Mentioned it last week, but surely someone at Fox had to quality control them?

So, I guess this was the second best short so far by default, but that's nothing to be proud of. Specimen still head and shoulders above the others for various reasons.

Containment - 3/10
Specimen - 8.5/10
Night Shift - 4.5/10
Ore - 5.5/10

SM

Don't think Specimen was on a mining colony, and this is the only one where mining is relevant so I'm not seeing an issue.

Prez

I try to enjoy these for what they are - low budget fan-made shorts.

FWIW this one was easily my favourite. Well written, shot and acted. Loved it. Great to see the big fella too.

SiL

Quote from: bacchus on Apr 20, 2019, 01:35:40 AM
Why are all of these set on mining colonies (save for the first short)? Why are the leads all female?
The brief for the shorts said to use elements from the original film -- strong female lead and "working class" characters.

QuoteWhy do they all include a chestburster?
Specimen doesn't.

QuoteWhy do they all end up being "character creeps around in the dark with a facehugger/xeno lurking in the shadows"?
Because this basically describes every Alien movie.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed