Author
Flaws of Isolation (Read 29,585 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It wasn't hard.  It was boring.

Kradan

Kradan

https://youtu.be/hOrphBFlDsg

Managed to get half-way though the video and then my Inner Fan Boy said: "Well, f**k these guys"  :D

SM

SM

I didn't mind the hiding in lockers stuff.  Occasionally got annoying but only occasionally.  The only bit where I really said 'Oh, come on!" was when Amanda got nabbed and taken to the hive.

Tichinde

Tichinde

Look man, I get that it's possible... I just don't see why the Xeno would leave her alive. Just one headbite, all it would take. Hell. one facehugging, more alien friends. It's the only instance of true plot armor I get in the game and it's so blatant, it just disappoints me.

Corporal Hicks

There's some degree of suspending disbelief required - even with the hiding under the tables - but damn if it isn't 100% effective for atmosphere.

Huggs

Huggs

I felt the hiding in lockers was pushing the envelope a bit. Considering they've been able to track and outmaneuver people in the films from all kinds of distances. Suddenly one can't detect you 3 inches from its face? It's a tough sell, but it does add alittle fear to the mix.

Amanda being used as a host instead of being killed made sense to me though, given the circumstances. She was young, healthy, and easily captured in that instance. Prime candidate.

Kradan

Kradan

I love Isolation but on repeat re-playings it's more apparent to me that game has some pacing issues

The biggest one is that notorious section of the game in between Stompy being ejected and The Hive.. I understand its purpose - it's release of tension from an Alien that can insta-kill you and it's fun to kick the shit out of some Joes and hostile survivors for a change. But after a while it gets tiresome - game just keeps on throwing Joes at you and you don't have much choice other than to waste your ammo and resources on them to progress. And then game introduces these f**king raincoats. Just F.UCK THEM.

It works fine for a first-time playthrough 'cause it helps to build the anticipation of "When Alien is gonna come back ?". But when you already played the game and know all of the plot points - man, I do want that section to be just a bit shorter

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Still not a fan of the gameplay.  It will probably keep me from ever playing the game again after the first initial gameplays.  No matter how well the presentation and worldbuilding work in its favor. 

It's the same reason I will never play Outlast or any of those other run from the attacker type of games, no matter the classic level they achieve. 

City Hunter Yautja

It would have been creepy is Amanda chestburster inside.

reecebomb

reecebomb

The game truly deserves next gen updated edition. Alien Isolation is great, for it's time it was phenomenal but it does have its flaws.
Luckily a lot of these can be fixed relatively easily, for example the questionable alien creature sound design choices, tweak/add alien animations, more death animations (both player and especially npc) etc.

I'd personally be happier with updated/remade first game than a mediocre sequel.

acrediblesource

In terms of replayability, there is only one. Nostalgia. Other than that there are no rewards for finishing the game once am I right?

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: acrediblesource on Jul 26, 2021, 03:00:46 PM
In terms of replayability, there is only one. Nostalgia. Other than that there are no rewards for finishing the game once am I right?

I don't know, I've replayed it like half a dozen times now (can't do it very often 'cause it LONG) and I still find new things in it

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It is the best Alien related media not named Alien that captures the feel of the first movie.  It is almost worth it just to delve in for that immersion. 

To me, it just isn't worth it to play through the whole game again to experience it.  It takes too long to play through and I don't have the time to devote to longish games like that anymore. 

Corporal Hicks

It is the ultimate Alien simulator. There is no better game to experience that first film than this. There's much replayability in wanting to experience that again.

reecebomb

reecebomb

Exactly!
I would gladly pay full price again for the next gen update where the flaws have been ironed out.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed