Possibly the best analysis of the film I've read

Started by JaaayDee, Jun 09, 2012, 07:02:48 AM

Author
Possibly the best analysis of the film I've read (Read 42,723 times)

amazing_prometheus

amazing_prometheus

@Mr. Clemens

^ Of course he did! And the WordPress article uses it because of the context- especially as it refers to Milton, William Blake, etc...

I just think it looks like this guy has taken a lot of inspiration from the WordPress blog, even using the witty/ catchy title, and given the dude who wrote it NO credit. Out of order.

:-\

Mr. Clemens

Well, I'm sure he'll be back 'round to visit the thread. Let's hear what he has to say.  :)

amazing_prometheus

amazing_prometheus

I posted a comment on his blog- that didnt appear.

NGR01

Quote from: killingvector on Jun 09, 2012, 02:04:04 PM
NGR01, there are definitely execution and script issues in the film. I have to echo your initial thoughts a week or so back. Felt the same way. But this journal post presents some interesting subtext to frame the storyline. It is quite a rich storyline with so much history, mythology, and religion underlying the actions of the Engineers and crew of the Prometheus. I admit, this gives me more faith in the filmmakers that they knew what they were doing. Unfortunately, they dropped the ball on basic execution of pacing, characterization, and plotting.

Yep that is my only gripe with the movie.
Great concepts, ideas and mythology but in a indigent script.

DoomRulz

Quote from: amazing_prometheus on Jun 13, 2012, 10:05:13 AM
Wow, this article borrows SHAMELESSLY from the wordpress review I am linking below which was published 5 DAYS before this Cavalorn one!

It's even got the same title!

http://benjitaylorwins.wordpress.com/2012/06/01/prometheusunbound/

Out of order I would say.

#NotCoolAtAll.

Surely someone should apologize? Stealing the title is just out of order. And the WordPress article was blog of the day at some point, I remember.

It's very likely that they had the same ideas. Much of what was said in either entry has been repeated in some ways in this forum as well so I doubt either one is copying from the other.

Nightmare Asylum

Excellent read. Made a great film even better.

amazing_prometheus

amazing_prometheus

I disagree -  in that the name of the article, and the first sentence, are almost IDENTICAL.

This Cav guy has for sure used parts of it.

Cavalorn

Hi there.

Just popping in to say no, I've never even seen that Wordpress blog.

'Prometheus Unbound' is, as other people have pointed out, the title of a play by Percy Shelley from 1820. If you have any familiarity with Eng Lit, it's also about the most obvious thing to call an expository article about a film called Prometheus, which is why I, this other guy, and stacks of other people have all done so.

Also, the word 'eponymous' means 'that for which a thing is named', in this case, the movie. If we were discussing the movie Titanic, the Titanic would be the eponymous ship. I can understand you might think the term was copied if you weren't used to seeing it used often, but I'm afraid that terms like that get bandied around a lot. I use a pretty broad vocabulary. Pan back through my LJ and check out my other work, you'll soon see what I mean.

On top of that, the content of my article and his article are completely different. As in, none of the content is the same. I go on about the Golden Bough, Space Jesus, the black goo, themes of sacrifice and acceptance of death versus unnatural extension of life, and what I think the answers are; he talks about Milton, the space cobra thing, David, and how nice it would be to have some answers.

In short, your accusation of plagiarism is based around the title, drawn from a common source (Shelley) in each case, and the fact that we both use a word - 'eponymous' - that you apparently didn't understand.

Hope that clears things up for you.

TheGreatRedDragon

TheGreatRedDragon

Quote from: Cavalorn on Jun 14, 2012, 11:20:52 PM
Hi there.

Just popping in to say no, I've never even seen that Wordpress blog.

'Prometheus Unbound' is, as other people have pointed out, the title of a play by Percy Shelley from 1820. If you have any familiarity with Eng Lit, it's also about the most obvious thing to call an expository article about a film called Prometheus, which is why I, this other guy, and stacks of other people have all done so.

Also, the word 'eponymous' means 'that for which a thing is named', in this case, the movie. If we were discussing the movie Titanic, the Titanic would be the eponymous ship. I can understand you might think the term was copied if you weren't used to seeing it used often, but I'm afraid that terms like that get bandied around a lot. I use a pretty broad vocabulary. Pan back through my LJ and check out my other work, you'll soon see what I mean.

On top of that, the content of my article and his article are completely different. As in, none of the content is the same. I go on about the Golden Bough, Space Jesus, the black goo, themes of sacrifice and acceptance of death versus unnatural extension of life, and what I think the answers are; he talks about Milton, the space cobra thing, David, and how nice it would be to have some answers.

In short, your accusation of plagiarism is based around the title, drawn from a common source (Shelley) in each case, and the fact that we both use a word - 'eponymous' - that you apparently didn't understand.

Hope that clears things up for you.

yo how did the Engineers die at LV-223? I didnt get that part. They created that black goo and it turned on the Engineers because humans killed Jesus? How can the black goo turn on the Engineers because of human action since Earth and LV-223 are lightyears away from each other.

DoomRulz

At least one of them died no doubt as a result from either a Facehugger or that tentacled thing that attacked Shaw and Jockey in the vessel at the end. The others, I think it was probably the same thing.

Gilfryd

I like this analysis quite a lot
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-x1YuvUQFJ0#ws

Count me as another questioning why the death of Space Jesus would affect black slime on an alien ship a bajillion miles away on a military dumpsite planet.

ChrisPachi

Quote from: Gilfryd on Jun 17, 2012, 02:01:37 AMCount me as another questioning why the death of Space Jesus would affect black slime on an alien ship a bajillion miles away on a military dumpsite planet.

Isn't it obvious though? The Engineers were preparing to leave for Earth in order to wipe us out, which means that they were working with or at the very least handling the biological material in preparation, loading their ship/s etc. You could even assume that they weaponized it specifically for the Earth mission, and that's when things went awry.

Or am I missing something?

DoomRulz

You know, for all the analyses thus far of the film, the only scene that really stands out to me as being totally pointless was the revelation that Vickers is Weyland's daughter. That went nowhere.

Gilfryd

Quote from: ChrisPachi on Jun 17, 2012, 02:08:57 AMIsn't it obvious though? The Engineers were preparing to leave for Earth in order to wipe us out, which means that they were working with or at the very least handling the biological material in preparation, loading their ship/s etc. You could even assume that they weaponized it specifically for the Earth mission, and that's when things went awry.

The article makes it seem like the goo and Space Jesus are linked. The moment of his death somehow made the goo go crazy on an alien moon somewhere.

Either way the whole Jesus thing is dumb and they were smart enough to get rid of it. Thing is though they didn't go back to make the rest of the story work without it.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 17, 2012, 11:50:28 PM
You know, for all the analyses thus far of the film, the only scene that really stands out to me as being totally pointless was the revelation that Vickers is Weyland's daughter. That went nowhere.

I thought Vickers would be the Ripley character in the end. A bureaucratic, no nonsense lady becomes the character we want to survive. Instead she gets crushed by a ship.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

I like this analysis, but like others, I think it has some problems. It seems like the black goo is predisposed to make Xenomorph type monsters, so I'm not really sure how that would relate to emotions. I believe the snake monster that killed that pretty much unnamed scientist was an infected millipede/worm thing on the ground, and as someone else pointed out, millipede/worm things don't have emotions.

The Space Jockey's were running away from something in the holograms, and Xeno's don't traditionally get picked up by normal means (or at least, infrared), so I'm guessing they were running away from some Xenos. I believe someone even mentions that they saw a corpse with a blown out chest.

Honestly, it seems like the black goo was just liquid Xeno, which seems safer to carry than a bunch of facehugger eggs.

Quote from: DoomRulz on Jun 17, 2012, 11:50:28 PM
Considering how she reacted with Weyland, I figured that bit of information was obvious.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed