Alien: Covenant - Origins - Prequel Novel

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 30, 2016, 08:52:31 AM

Author
Alien: Covenant - Origins - Prequel Novel (Read 105,798 times)

felix

Because it doesn't matter. If there's a follow up film (which i doubt), they probably won't be using any of these material.

SM

Spoiler
If a sequel follows Covenant I don't imagine they'd need to.
[close]

Ultramorph

At this point I'm mostly interested in the backstory behind the book and where the idea came from.

Corporal Hicks

I've been struggling with the last 50 pages or so with all the
Spoiler
Weyland-Yutani kidnapping stuff
[close]
but it's picking up my interest again now we're actually getting into
Spoiler
the Prophet.
[close]

gantarat

So ?
Spoiler
Covenant movie event was set up by weyland-yutani ?
[close]

SM

Spoiler
Only if the manuscript I read back in April has changed.
[close]

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: gantarat on Sep 25, 2017, 06:06:51 AM
So ?
Spoiler
Covenant movie event was set up by weyland-yutani ?
[close]

That is not the vibe I'm getting so far.

Corporal Hicks

Ultramorph

Did the book wrap up well, Hicks? Got confirmation mine was delivered today, so I'll be diving in after work.

TWJones

TWJones

It has to be said that I really enjoyed Alien: Covenant the film. It wasn't everything I was hoping for, but it hit enough of my check boxes for me to be satisfied. My biggest problem was not knowing more about the 10 years between Prometheus, and the time that David and Shaw spent on Paradise. I was wanting to know more about the planet, about the Engineers, and to see the tension between David and Shaw that eventually led to him killing her.

With that out of the way...I was cautiously hopeful that this new novel by Alan Dean Foster might touch on some of those things, but I also didn't expect it. After reading the synopsis of the book, I wasn't interested in the slightest. But I went into the book with an open mind, also curious about Foster's writing style as I have never read any of his work.

Almost immediately I struggled with the story. Chapter after chapter, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't bring myself to care about the situations, or the plot, such as it is. The entire novel seems to exist for no other purpose:
Spoiler
than to maybe, sort of, kinda connect the dots to how and why Captain Branson was killed. Why his hypersleep chamber caught on fire. Truly...that's it.
[close]

There is a cult on Earth. The leader is called the Prophet and he has visions of a terrifying alien force that is wiping out humanity. His visions actually sound a little like what we see when David drops the goo on Paradise. He sends out martyrs to try and sabotage the Covenant, fearing that whatever mission it accomplishes will eventually lead to the destruction of earth.

It pains me to say it, but that is the entire story. We see some of the characters from the film, but I don't remember a single moment when something was illuminated, or a piece of information dispensed that made me feel I'd learned something valuable.

Frankly, I'm a little surprised that this novel was published at all. Considering executives speaking about Covenant's disappointing box office numbers, it would seem that a story with more direct connection to either Aliens, Engineers, Prometheus, or Paradise would have been wiser. There are none of those things in this novel. It is simply characters from the Covenant preparing to launch while a few nut jobs try to sabotage the ship.

I understand that Alan Dean Foster has written many film adaptations, but this novel does not make me want to seek out anything else he has written. The writing did not draw me in, if anything it actually pushed me away. To me anyway, it did not have an immersive quality. I hesitate to speculate, but:
Spoiler
the novel truly does read like someone from Fox said, "I've seen a lot of complaints online about James Franco's character dying, and people not understanding what happened with his hyper sleep pod. We should try and explain that. Here, Alan, write a book that makes sense of that."
[close]

In my opinion, I can't see the any other purpose for this book to exist and tell the story it does. Hardcore fans of the Alien universe will be sorely disappointed, and casual fans won't even bother reading this. Why would they? A story about religious nuts trying to blow up a ship...a story that has almost nothing to do with the Alien universe.

I've been waiting months to read this book, hoping that the synopsis was slightly misleading and that there would be more to the story. Unfortunately, the synopsis was dead on, and I am truly disappointed.

SM

SM

This probably needs to be in the Literature area and have spoiler tags added.

That said-
Spoiler
I don't recall anything connecting the book to Branson's pod catching fire.
[close]

Also, the book was written well before the film came out and anyone knew what the response would be.

Whos_Nick

Why is everything related to Covenant a disappointment

TWJones

TWJones

Roger that SM, spoiler tags added.

Spoiler
And that's just it, the novel never explicitly states that this is why Branson died, but I can't think of any other reason to tell this particular story. It doesn't justify its own existence.
[close]

I was not aware that it was written and completed long before the film came out. Which makes the whole thing even more confusing. At any point since the disappointing box office numbers have been known, someone in marketing could have said, "Let's not further muddy the waters by releasing a novel with a picture of an Alien on the front that doesn't have a single thing to do with any Aliens. And...let's connect it to the very film that is struggling. It's just baffling.

Why release something like this if you already know what the reaction will be? Why not try and expand on a story that people are already invested in, connected to?

Quote from: Whos_Nick on Sep 27, 2017, 03:16:13 AM
Why is everything related to Covenant a disappointment

Personally, I value ambition over quality most of the time. Swing for the fences and I'm with that artist. Play it too safe and I lose interest.

I would have much preferred Fox to say, "Okay, Alan Dean Foster...David and Shaw were on Paradise for 10 years, go nuts! Invent like mad! Create an Engineer culture, have them explore the planet. Have them fight and argue, show us Shaw's fear. Show us David's increasing madness. Whatever, just be wild!"

To create such a beige story and put it out as some sort of "Covenant Origin" story is beyond bizarre. And what is truly mind boggling is that dozens of people probably had to sign off and agree with releasing this book. Enough people thought it was a good idea, and to market so deceptively is on another level as well.

SM

SM

QuoteWhy release something like this if you already know what the reaction will be? Why not try and expand on a story that people are already invested in, connected to?

Because the book was effectively in the can before the film came out and they expected the film to do better I suppose.

I ended up being in a position where I read the book before seeing the film, and possibly felt more when Lope and Rosey died, due to the book.

Corporal Hicks

I'm still struggling myself. I've got about 70 pages or so left.

Have I missed something or has the novel not touched on
Spoiler
the Yutani corporations background?
[close]
I don't remember hearing any backstory on their expertise.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed