Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,470 times)

The_Nostromo_Files

;D

Guess so. I don't have to unlearn all that.

I've been digging around through the Prometheus news articles, wanting to re-read Ridley's words after all these years. In a 2009 AvPG news story posted by Darkness, the words "Looks like this new Alien movie is definitely happening..." glowed like green on a Mother VDT. I'd love to read those words again someday. 

Corporal Hicks

Nukiemorph

Voodoo Magic

Das ist gut!

HuDaFuK

Yeah, liking that.

Some of the covers for this have been pretty good. Even some of the traced ones would've been sweet if they weren't JUST f**kING TRACED.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: judge death on Mar 28, 2021, 11:49:55 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 28, 2021, 11:37:48 PM
Quote from: The_Nostromo_Files on Mar 28, 2021, 11:26:16 PM
Every franchise seems fraught with such problems. Like no-ships in the Dune prequels...

I guess retconning "Resurrection" 200 years into the future would've been more difficult?

Every franchise needs a "canon commissar" like SM to veto or fix any continuity-breaking decisions.
I would vote yes to this :D Or add some more lore experts into a jury :P

Tell 'em, Steve-Dave!

Lol, but seriously, all tie-in media tends to exist through the application of wiggle-room. In the case of the mentioned controversy, the wiggle-room conceit is simply that Gen Perez is ostensibly not in full possession of the facts and thus his word is not necessarily gospel.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 29, 2021, 01:16:25 PM
Das ist gut!

Totally agreed, I love it too, it's a bit like the Dave Dorman or John Bolton art from the old Bantam novel covers.

The_Nostromo_Files

So, Perez as the "unreliable narrator" ?

Drukathi

Oh, be careful. It is not ground under your feet - it's a swamp.

The films are stories. Any story follows the contract between the storyteller and the viewer - what the characters say is an immutable fact, if the essence of the story is not in the deception of the viewer.

When Dallas in Alien says that the Space Jockey looks fossilized - well, Space Jockey fossilized. Ad Hominem - we can not doubt the words of Dallas. He is a proxy between story and us. A narrator, storyteller.
The same with our hero - General Perez is not an unreliable narrator. His words are facts. Until the AR will not be retconed.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: The_Nostromo_Files on Mar 29, 2021, 06:08:10 PM
So, Perez as the "unreliable narrator" ?

Certainly. The wiggle-room conceit of Alien 3 was that the Queen squeezed out one (or two) final egg(s) aboard the dropship on their ride up from the planet, and/or depending on the version you watch, there was a special kind of unseen before facehugger that could impregnate more than one host. The wiggle-room conceit of Resurrection is that somehow there were genetic samples retrieved from Fury, presumably from some offscreen blood sampling that Clemens must have done on Ripley. Or maybe, there was some genetic material retrieved from the EEV like the conceit in Deep Black by Jonathan Maberry. Or even the conceit in the first place that the Atmo Processor detonation was strong enough to vaporize the distant Derelict craft and everything below all the way out past the Ilyium Range.

Quote from: Drukathi on Mar 29, 2021, 06:28:02 PM
Oh, be careful. It is not ground under your feet - it's a swamp.

The films are stories. Any story follows the contract between the storyteller and the viewer - what the characters say is an immutable fact, if the essence of the story is not in the deception of the viewer.

When Dallas in Alien says that the Space Jockey looks fossilized - well, Space Jockey fossilized. Ad Hominem - we can not doubt the words of Dallas. He is a proxy between story and us. A narrator, storyteller.
The same with our hero - General Perez is not an unreliable narrator. His words are facts. Until the AR will not be retconed.

Ha! Yeah man, no intention to start up David wars. I'm just illustrating the necessity of wiggle-room in continuing onward any kind of story like this and how it's been historically employed all over the franchise.

So from your example, any claim from subsequent media that the SJ wasn't non-figuratively fossilized requires that Dallas now be made retroactively unreliable to the audience. So the practice, as a whole, has become a necessary evil to the continuation of the franchise.

Drukathi

Not certainly in that way. If everything is taken retroactively, then everything will be unreliable. Stupid swamp, full of endless doubts like X-Files did. And while we do not see retcons - all words of Dallas and Perez are monolith.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SpaceKase on Mar 29, 2021, 06:38:29 PMOr even the conceit in the first place that the Atmo Processor detonation was strong enough to vaporize the distant Derelict craft and everything below all the way out past the Ilyium Range.

Did it need to be vaporized to render the eggs non-viable?

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 29, 2021, 07:11:21 PM
Quote from: SpaceKase on Mar 29, 2021, 06:38:29 PMOr even the conceit in the first place that the Atmo Processor detonation was strong enough to vaporize the distant Derelict craft and everything below all the way out past the Ilyium Range.

Did it need to be vaporized to render the eggs non-viable?

Anything's possible, all it takes is a hand-wavey mention or non-mention even. I don't recall, did they even mention the derelict or its eggs anywhere in the movie? How viable is a 200 year old filthy prison blood-sample or waste tissue scraping? As viable as the plot requires it to be, I guess.

Quote from: Drukathi on Mar 29, 2021, 07:01:42 PM
Not certainly in that way. If everything is taken retroactively, then everything will be unreliable. Stupid swamp, full of endless doubts like X-Files did. And while we do not see retcons - all words of Dallas and Perez are monolith.

lol, right? I mean 'certainly' with regards to the necessary conceit of any post AR story telling, namely, that in order for their existence it's required that Perez's statement be unreliable and non-absolute.

Drukathi

Ah, okay. Although I'm not sure I would like to get Post-AR film. In this case, it is better to erase Perez words with all AR. :D

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Drukathi on Mar 29, 2021, 07:52:26 PM
Ah, okay. Although I'm not sure I would like to get Post-AR film. In this case, it is better to erase Perez words with all AR. :D

Or at lease erase his massive body hair.

...Aye, that was offsides, wasn't it? Sorry Dan Hedaya, and other persons of copious fur.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed