Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,269 times)

hawkangel

Read the first issue. I did enjoy it but yes, too early to tell if this is a good story. Intrigued to know if the Alpha is one of the Ripley clones as someone mentioned in this thread which is also the female in the dream sequence.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: hawkangel on Mar 27, 2021, 01:42:13 PM
Read the first issue. I did enjoy it but yes, too early to tell if this is a good story. Intrigued to know if the Alpha is one of the Ripley clones as someone mentioned in this thread which is also the female in the dream sequence.

This is well before Alien: Resurrection or the creation of the USM, so I don't think there's any way the Alpha could be a Ripley clone unless the comic reveals that cloning Ripley was a project that Weyland-Yutani kickstarted before the USM eventually took over.

But WY has a ton of Aliens here, so I don't really know what reason they would even have for trying to clone Ripley. Aliens don't seem to be rare in this story.

judge death

If they arent rare and they have lots of them and its pretty much known, it will be very hard to fit it properly and explain why its said in alien resurrection for all meaningful and known purposes the species was wiped out by ripley in the last 200 years.

So now we have this and if weyland is well aware of this and marines too and they have aliens all over then its a bit ignoring what has been established.

Story from what I read seems okayish if you are deep alien fan and can ignore parts, its great for those who dont care or know much of the alien universe I would say after reading reviews.

Nightmare Asylum

That's been a pretty significant conundrum in every iteration of the expanded universe since 1997.

Which is one of many reasons I'm pretty nonchalant when it comes to canon. At the end of the day, if a story is interesting, then cool. Everything doesn't have to fit together like puzzle pieces.

Engineer

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 27, 2021, 02:53:31 PM
That's been a pretty significant conundrum in every iteration of the expanded universe since 1997.

Which is one of many reasons I'm pretty nonchalant when it comes to canon. At the end of the day, if a story is interesting, then cool. Everything doesn't have to fit together like puzzle pieces.

Funny enough, I saw somewhere that Phillip Kennedy Johnson was taking care not to retcon anything but he's immediately kicking off the series with what is pretty much a retcon of resurrection. That's something I'm not really complaining about... but it makes me wonder if he even knows what he's talking about half the time?

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Engineer on Mar 27, 2021, 03:15:42 PM

Funny enough, I saw somewhere that Phillip Kennedy Johnson was taking care not to retcon anything but he's immediately kicking off the series with what is pretty much a retcon of resurrection. That's something I'm not really complaining about... but it makes me wonder if he even knows what he's talking about half the time?

In an interview I listened to with him, I think he said something along the lines of only really referencing Alien and Aliens (despite liking the other films and riffing on elements from them) because he has a feeling that once Disney/20th Century Studios is said and done, the films post-Aliens won't be canon anymore.

Given that this is all speculation on his part, it seems to me that 20th hasn't officially decreed anything... which also makes think that expanded universe stuff, at least for now, is going to be as all over the place canon-wise under Marvel as it was under Dark Horse.

Engineer

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Mar 27, 2021, 04:04:43 PM
Quote from: Engineer on Mar 27, 2021, 03:15:42 PM

In an interview I listened to with him, I think he said something along the lines of only really referencing Alien and Aliens (despite liking the other films and riffing on elements from them) because he has a feeling that once Disney/20th Century Studios is said and done, the films post-Aliens won't be canon anymore.

Given that this is all speculation on his part, it seems to me that 20th hasn't officially decreed anything... which also makes think that expanded universe stuff, at least for now, is going to be as all over the place canon-wise under Marvel as it was under Dark Horse.

Fair enough; in that case I stand corrected.

I'm still unimpressed by the writer and highly disappointed with the artist.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: judge death on Mar 27, 2021, 02:31:37 PM
If they arent rare and they have lots of them and its pretty much known, it will be very hard to fit it properly and explain why its said in alien resurrection for all meaningful and known purposes the species was wiped out by ripley in the last 200 years.

So now we have this and if weyland is well aware of this and marines too and they have aliens all over then its a bit ignoring what has been established.

Story from what I read seems okayish if you are deep alien fan and can ignore parts, its great for those who dont care or know much of the alien universe I would say after reading reviews.

Yeah, but when we talk about famous figures of history and the fine details of events from 1821, how accurately are we truly speaking? Usually we're working off of sketchy information pieced together from skewed and disparate sources and filling in the blanks with our propagandized fantasy of the myths and legends we're told along the way. There's no more USCMC in Resurrection and there's no more Weyland-Yutani, and God only knows what blatherskite slant of history Walmart is pumping into people's corporate sponsored educations in the dystopic 24th Century. So there's at least some wiggle room. Also, there are several alternate continuities in the EU media already and this is potentially just one more.

[cancerblack]

Everything doesn't have to fit together like puzzle pieces.

Good luck convincing anyone of this simple truth though.

judge death

Just say its non canon and you can do whatever you want, easy :P

Like what star wars empire at war did when you start it: all events and everything in this game is not canon.

[cancerblack]

Which means you'll eternally still be getting people claiming differing levels of importance or validity to different entries.

judge death

judge death

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 27, 2021, 09:10:03 PM
Which means you'll eternally still be getting people claiming differing levels of importance or validity to different entries.
Seems to work well in star wars:
Canon.
everything else is legends. Only older fans have issues with it as much of the legends stuff was canon earlier, but this is why disney went in and made it clear. Wont ever make everyone 100% although.

[cancerblack]

I was under the impression the post-Disney SW films were divisive though?

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Even with the disapproval of the Sequel Trilogy and old EU reduced to legend, Disney achieve real redemption with Mandalorian and the Clone Wars finale.They need to deliver stunning things with Alien & Predator IPs. I mean, any decision, however controversial for some, will be undermined by success.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 27, 2021, 09:05:28 PM
Everything doesn't have to fit together like puzzle pieces.

Good luck convincing anyone of this simple truth though.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed