Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,726 times)

Local Trouble

Quote from: David's Creation on Feb 07, 2021, 11:13:23 PM
I could have sworn that I heard/read that the original intention behind the jockey in the chair was that they were a species that grew so dependent on their technology that they eventually evolved to become part of it.

I can't find where I heard this. Might have been on the blu-ray somewhere. Can anyone confirm this?

Before Prometheus, I ran with this and imagined every jockey being physically built into their jobs in sprawling Giger-esque cities.

Like Moya in Farscape.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: judge death on Feb 07, 2021, 10:56:00 PM
Quote from: SM on Feb 07, 2021, 10:19:06 PM
I don't get this "shrink" thing.

Like Arthur said "Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying."
Shrink: all species we have in the franchise are humanoid based, enginneers created humans, predators and the xenomorph creatures/black goo. so one species type that populate the universe, which to me make it a bit spartan and empty.

Well, the 'shape' the Pathogen takes can vary pretty wildly without a hand like David's to 'guide' it towards a particular form. The Trilobite and the Hammerpede say hello.

SiL

SiL

Sure, but everything ended up being the result of albino humans with god complexes, because humans are special and we are the centre of f**king everything.

It is just so f**king dull. It's all just people, all the way down. We aren't tiny specs voyaging into the unknown, we're The Chosen Ones.

Nightmare Asylum

On one hand, that does seem to be the state of things. But Earth could also just be but one of many worlds populated with creations of the Engineers, making humans less "Chosen Ones" and more just biproducts of their seeding of the galaxy (and potentially failed ones at that, since they wanted to destroy us before operations on LV-223 were aborted).

I don't love all of the ideas that Prometheus presents, for sure (and would still have preferred the Engineers to not simply be large humans), but I do find the film's ideas interesting enough to get behind on their own terms despite the fact that the execution is pretty lacking, and that the film is retroactively enhanced in part by what Alien: Covenant manages to sort of retcon into something significantly better. It is still far and away the worst of the six Alien movies, though.

SiL

SiL

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Feb 08, 2021, 04:36:29 AM
On one hand, that does seem to be the state of things. But Earth could also just be but one of many worlds populated with creations of the Engineers, making humans less "Chosen Ones" and more just biproducts of their seeding of the galaxy (and potentially failed ones at that, since they wanted to destroy us before operations on LV-223 were aborted).
Engineers are humans, is the problem.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Feb 07, 2021, 06:39:30 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 05, 2021, 10:52:58 PM
And yet nobody had the balls to have it literally grow out of the chair.

I used to like the idea that the Jockey itself was just one of many biomechanical tools that operated the ship. Those airlocks were too small for the jockeys, as where the little areas Kane, Dallas and Lambert were walking through. Once upon a time, in my head, there used to be many other creatures doing other specific tasks on the ship for something else...

Yay! I love that, sounds like a stunning symbiosis between a living ship and its crew  8)

Quote from: David's Creation on Feb 07, 2021, 11:13:23 PM
I could have sworn that I heard/read that the original intention behind the jockey in the chair was that they were a species that grew so dependent on their technology that they eventually evolved to become part of it.

I can't find where I heard this. Might have been on the blu-ray somewhere. Can anyone confirm this?

You're right; technological dependence, but also Giger's biomecanoids are a reflection of his fear of nuclear war.

Life forms and the symbiosis organism ~ machines to survive a hostile environment in a post-human future.

Quote from: BBCThe birth of biomechanics

Giger's early work deals very directly with the collective fears of the time. The world had just narrowly avoided a nuclear war over the stationing of Soviet nuclear weapons on Cuba, and in neutral Switzerland, which was working on its own nuclear weapons program, the very real possibility of a nuclear apocalypse was omnipresent. In several of his works, Giger designed a post-apocalyptic scenario showing the situation after a nuclear war. Other hotly debated issues such as the threat of global overpopulation and the advancing mechanization and automation of many aspects of life also found their way into his work.

BBC Culture - ART: The man who created the ultimate alien

~ H.R. Giger, Atomic Children, 1968. Courtesy of the H.R. Giger Museum ~

EJA

EJA

You can't just say "The aliens want to destroy us" and then give absolutely no explanation as to why.

BlueMarsalis79

It comes down to a question of philosophy, are we part of everything or everything part of us?

Dead Space for example says both, we are the only sapience in existence potentially in the way we define it, but we are also just meat for a much larger universal grinder.

Prometheus says we are the origin of everything within sight. Because humans are Engineers and engineers are humans.

Voodoo Magic

It is still far and away the worst of the six Alien movies, though.

Nah, Alien Resurrection still wears that crown for me... and was my internal go-to compliment after exiting the theater after both prequels. At least it wasn't as bad as Alien Resurrection!. :) But alas, they all slot in the bottom of my Alien rankings anyway.

BlueMarsalis79

The crown of the Alien design we can't get the f**k away from even with the popularity of Alien Isolation, and the last time it being onscreen being in 2004.

Well... at least it's not anything from Requiem.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Feb 08, 2021, 01:07:09 PM
It is still far and away the worst of the six Alien movies, though.

Nah, Alien Resurrection still wears that crown for me... and was my internal go-to compliment after exiting the theater after both prequels. At least it wasn't as bad as Alien Resurrection!. :) But alas, they all slot in the bottom of my Alien rankings anyway.

Resurrection is the second worst in my book, just above Prometheus, and they are definitely the two films with the most issues, but I just find Resurrection to be the more fulfilling overall experience overall (Prometheus has what may just be the sexiest space suits ever put to film, though, so on top of the ideas in Prometheus that I dig, it also really has that going for it ;)). For me, I feel that Resurrection owns its tone through and through (even if its tone isn't quite consistent with the preceding films), so it is at least internally consistent in and of itself in a way that Prometheus just isn't (I tend to get really hung up on Prometheus' sloppy editing, especially). Sigourney also gives one hell of a performance, and I find the movie to be grotesque in a rather enjoyable way. Resurrection is pure pulp - it's like a silly 90s Dark Horse Aliens comic with a sick sense of humor come to life; I see it as being pretty removed from the other films in both tone and timeline, but it also doubles down on some weird concepts that I find to be right at home in this universe. Where else would I turn if I wanted to watch some clone derived of Alien and human DNA caress its genetic abomination of a 'grandson?' :D

Covenant sits above Resurrection to me, much closer to the first three films.

Also, I do still find it amusing the way that Ridley (quite accidentally, mind you) helped Resurrection's weird cloning shenanigans and DNA melding make more sense than ever before, given what we now know about the Pathogen, the way it seems to interact with human hosts, and the way it was used as the core building block with which to create the Alien itself.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2021, 04:21:21 AMSure, but everything ended up being the result of albino humans with god complexes, because humans are special and we are the centre of f**king everything.

It is just so f**king dull. It's all just people, all the way down. We aren't tiny specs voyaging into the unknown, we're The Chosen Ones.

Yeah, as much as I didn't have a problem with the design of the Engineers, those prequels sure did manage to make the Alien universe a lot smaller and less interesting.

I really don't get Ridley's hard-on for explaining where the Alien came from in the first place, but to then make it come from us was truly deflating.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

I guess I'm of the mentality that Covenant kind of allows us to have our cake and eat it too - David shaping the capital-A Alien into what it is thematically works within the framework of what that film presents, and has interesting ripple effects into the other movies (H.R. Giger's terrifying creature is, for all intents and purposes, walking sex, and it is now revealed to have been crafted by the repressed android with a metaphorical hardon for defiling the very method of creating life that his creators uniquely possess while he does not) while also allowing the core element of the Alien's construction, the Pathogen, to be totally ancient and unknowable in origin and the extent of its application, with the potential for a great many other eldritch horrors to come of it.

EJA

EJA

Do the Predator mythos fit as well in the Marvel Comics Universe as they did in the DC Comics Universe?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Feb 08, 2021, 01:39:51 PM
Quote from: SiL on Feb 08, 2021, 04:21:21 AMSure, but everything ended up being the result of albino humans with god complexes, because humans are special and we are the centre of f**king everything.

Yeah, as much as I didn't have a problem with the design of the Engineers, those prequels sure did manage to make the Alien universe a lot smaller and less interesting.

I really don't get Ridley's hard-on for explaining where the Alien came from in the first place, but to then make it come from us was truly deflating.

My sentiment exactly. :-\

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed