Marvel's First Alien Series Announced!

Started by Kailem, Dec 07, 2020, 07:22:32 PM

Author
Marvel's First Alien Series Announced! (Read 273,380 times)

SM

SM

I'd take Stokoe's "unrealistic" style over Larocca's tracing.

Nightmare Asylum

Yep, same. I don't know what Marvel's (and other publishers, too) aversion is to stylized art in licensed comics. Not everything has to be so photorealistic. Let artists work in some interesting and unique styles, if the style happens to suit the story being told.

That is one thing that I'll give Dark Horse credit on for sure, and it shows in works like Dead Orbit, Salvation, and a myriad of other titles.

Give me this:

Over this:

Any day of the week.

judge death

Dead orbit was great :D

426Buddy

Amen

Nightmare Asylum

Aye, it really is. I bought myself a copy of the oversized Dead Orbit hardcover after the Marvel announcement dropped. Wanted to make sure I could scoop one before they went out of print. 8)

Xiggz456

I joined these boards because of "Dead Orbit" and I agree that it and "Salvation" are two of best and have their own distinct art styles which are among my favorites but I also love "Destroying Angels" , "Thicker than Blood", and "Nightmare Asylum" which have a more realistic art style. Ultimately I care more for the story being told regardless of the art style employed.

Prez

Prez

Quote from: SM on Feb 03, 2021, 12:34:41 AM
I'd take Stokoe's "unrealistic" style over Larocca's tracing.

Any day of the week.

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Feb 03, 2021, 01:17:14 AM
I joined these boards because of "Dead Orbit" and I agree that it and "Salvation" are two of best and have their own distinct art styles which are among my favorites but I also love "Destroying Angels" , "Thicker than Blood", and "Nightmare Asylum" which have a more realistic art style. Ultimately I care more for the story being told regardless of the art style employed.

Mike Mignola is probably close to my favourite comic artist (and writer) of all time. His simplistic style and use of black shadowing is just magnificent - it's the main reason I got into Hellboy 2 decades ago and now own pretty much every single thing they've published.

Nukiemorph

Honestly, I like realism.

I don't like things looking like an anime.

I don't really give a shit about tracing as long as it's decently implemented, isn't stealing another artist's work, and isn't this god damn image:

SM

SM

Ye gods that bloody picture...

Russ840

For anyone interested in James Stokoe.  His next project is called 'Orphan and the Five Beasts'.

It starts in March and is published by Dark Horse.

It's a Kung Fu story and sounds great.

Xiggz456

Xiggz456

Quote from: Russ840 on Feb 03, 2021, 08:54:27 AM
For anyone interested in James Stokoe.  His next project is called 'Orphan and the Five Beasts'.

Already on my pull list!  ;D

His Godzilla stories are being reprinted too for those that are interested.

Russ840

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Feb 03, 2021, 12:13:09 PM

Man I love that Godzilla. Have it in oversized.

Have you read Wonton Soup ?

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: David's Creation on Feb 03, 2021, 03:39:43 AM
Honestly, I like realism.

I don't like things looking like an anime.

I don't really give a shit about tracing.

Xiggz456

Quote from: Russ840 on Feb 03, 2021, 01:59:47 PM
Quote from: Xiggz456 on Feb 03, 2021, 12:13:09 PM

Man I love that Godzilla. Have it in oversized.

Have you read Wonton Soup ?

No but it's on my to-read list!

Voodoo Magic

Unless theyre super Alien fanatics, I have to assume that most artists understandably have no idea how to draw an Alien. Yeah, they remember the creature generally from watching a movie or two a few times in their life, but its architecture is not at all simplistic and something often hidden in shadow, so much so that to draw it, they are going to need to reference photos, figures or something... and draw it often enough... before they are able to commit it to memory.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed