Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived?

Started by Kradan, Feb 10, 2019, 08:15:19 AM

Would you feel better about this?

Yes
33 (45.8%)
No
39 (54.2%)

Total Members Voted: 72

Author
Would you feel better if Newt and Hicks survived? (Read 30,315 times)

The Old One

The Old One

But it's the surviving member, so I give it a certain amount of flexibility regarding the scenario.
It's purely Theatrical and not realistic, and it worked- unbelievably.

Local Trouble

I also think choosing a different protagonist would have given them more creative flexibility.  After all, we know from Aliens that Amanda lives through it all (unless Fox intends on retconning that).

Huggs

Are you holding out for a return of Christopher Winter?

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Aug 03, 2019, 11:40:40 PM
Who threw the time traveling, Predator killer Ripley pearl?  ;D

OK guys, it's time for a consensus. Which unused Ripley concept do you like best? Black's idea or Blomkamp's idea?

Huggs

Huggs

Time travel is far more reasonable of the two crazy ideas now. They did the hybrid stuff in resurrection already. Nevertheless,

#EllenRipleyisdead

SM

Neill B.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Blomkamp is alright, District 9 is still the bees knees, but NOBODY should wear any kind of helmet like that in any Alien movie ever.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 05, 2019, 02:42:34 AM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Aug 05, 2019, 01:54:34 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 05, 2019, 12:08:19 AM
Where were you when you played Isolation?

UK.

You certainly get around.  Was that during leave?

The University of Kentucky.   I was back in the States when it was released. 

Ash 937

Sigourney Weaver looks younger in that concept art.  I bet they could de-age her for Alien 5 like they just did with Robert De Niro in Scorsese's "The Irishman."  That way she can be the Ripley we all remember and love.  I'd much rather prefer that to the woman who literally played "Grandma" in A Monster Calls.

SM

I'd rather she played her age.

If you want the Ripley we all know and love - there's a bunch of movies all 20+ years old to watch.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Aug 03, 2019, 10:20:24 PM
We have Alien without Sigourney and people moan about that too.

But that's to do with the quality of said entries. It's nothing to do with a lack of Sigourney.

Quote from: SM on Aug 05, 2019, 01:50:25 AM
Searching for and finding the flight recorder wouldn't have had the same impact if it was just some rando. 

I was very against them using Amanda when Isolation was announced, but did a 180 once the game came out and I saw how they handled it.

Likewise. I absolutely hated the idea of Amanda being used as a main character but once I experienced the game, I had turned around completely. Sure, a lot of it had to do with how effective the game itself was as a game, but that emotional connection to the story through Amanda was a huge part of it.

Even I was choked up when she finally came across the flight recorder and that extra message.

Quote from: Huggs on Aug 05, 2019, 01:58:08 AM
I still have a hard time believing a flight recorder survived that blast. Unless it was jettisoned early as an automated function included in the self destruct program.

That is the point of them after all. To survive.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 05, 2019, 03:02:58 AM
I also think choosing a different protagonist would have given them more creative flexibility.  After all, we know from Aliens that Amanda lives through it all (unless Fox intends on retconning that).

Honestly, at this point, I can quite easily buy the whole thing about her records not actually being accurate or simply Burke lying.

SM

QuoteBut that's to do with the quality of said entries. It's nothing to do with a lack of Sigourney

Which just goes to show that the 'no more Ripley' argument doesn't mean you're going to get anything necessarily better.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 05, 2019, 08:09:44 AM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Aug 05, 2019, 03:02:58 AMI also think choosing a different protagonist would have given them more creative flexibility.  After all, we know from Aliens that Amanda lives through it all (unless Fox intends on retconning that).

Honestly, at this point, I can quite easily buy the whole thing about her records not actually being accurate or simply Burke lying.

Nothing would surprise me at this point.  Maybe she winds up being a Predator killer.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: SM on Aug 05, 2019, 09:42:18 AM
QuoteBut that's to do with the quality of said entries. It's nothing to do with a lack of Sigourney

Which just goes to show that the 'no more Ripley' argument doesn't mean you're going to get anything necessarily better.

True. Can't deny that. But I think it's also fair to say that the entries that have included Ripley lately have done so at the stories own detriment. It's safer to not throw her in there for the sake of the name/character.

Local Trouble

Does that include Alan Decker?

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I wouldn't say that was one of Sea of Sorrow's problems, personally.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed