Xenomorph Origins

Started by yautja99, Jan 24, 2007, 07:20:30 AM

Author
Xenomorph Origins (Read 31,309 times)

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

It's probably my biggest bug-bear with the film.

wmmvrrvrrmm

wmmvrrvrrmm

I don't think that Prometheus really gives much to grab hold of or much of a solid ground to stand and talk about any theories one might have , but certainly Ridley has been able to talk to top scientists over time about the latest scientific theories and expectations the technology of the future and I think that what he was being told during the Alien production about how after a future technological explosion, predictive technology would be replacing the actual need for space flight in the future , that was mind bending enough. So quantum computing might turn into something very realistic.

So I'd assume it might be quantum physics, holographic universe and conspiracy fears about what's out to destroy the world with recombinant viruses all the way now, and I can see how that might be difficult for a good many people to play with

Dark Blade1

Dark Blade1

They where made by space jockeys to protect them from humans who enter to their home the xenomorphs where slaves to the space jockeys and had it they started killing off space jockeys one by one until a space jockey was facehugged and then before he was chestbursted he froze his self and was chestbursted afterwards.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Quote from: Doktor_Wunderbar on Nov 09, 2014, 11:29:47 PM

2.  The Engineers found the xenomorphs, whose unique and essentially impossible biology became the foundation for the Engineers' technology ("new alloys, new vaccines," to echo Gediman).  Their ability to borrow the genetic characteristics of their hosts became the basis for the Engineers' black liquid, which manipulates DNA and which can apparently transfer Engineer DNA to lower lifeforms.  Their structural biology became the basis for Engineer architecture and shipbuilding, explaining the Gigeresque designs of Engineer construction.  The mural in the urn room was an expression of reverence for the creature which gave them their technology, and the Deacon was either a product of the re-emergence of xenomorph traits following serial black liquid contamination events, or a product of xenomorph DNA in the "weaponized" black oil on LV-223, as opposed to the terraforming/species building black oil used in the opening sequence.

Personally, I prefer the second option.  As others have mentioned, it makes the xenomorph seem much more eldritch - it predates the Engineers, who are already billions of years old, and it is a product of the cold, unfeeling processes of the universe itself rather than a product of mere tinkering.  It also gives a bit more meaning to the title of the latest film.  The titan Prometheus gave man fire, which is both incredibly useful and incredibly destructive.  Hypothesis 2 would have the Engineers finding the xenomorph an incredibly useful gift from the cosmos, but the Jockey on LV-426 would have found it incredibly destructive as well (and at least until the next film comes out, I like to imagine that the entire species learned the same thing).

Man, before I saw your post, I've been thinking the same thing over the last few days. In my little origin theory, the Engineers did infact discover the Xenomorphs among their travels. They became impressed and enamored with them, to point of considering them Gods, which might explain the mural seen in Prometheus. Through the constant fascination, the Engineers try and duplicate what nature has done, perfection. But they cotinually fail, or get knockoffs such as the Deacon. Anyway, that was my little dive into Xenomoroh origins. Cool to see I wasn't the only exploring this option.

That said, option 2 is perfect to me. I like the idea of Xenomorphs being natural creatures.

Doktor Wunderbar

Doktor Wunderbar

Thanks for the feedback.  But beyond even the idea that they are natural, I like to think of them as a force that no one can control - not even the "gods" who made us.

It sort of echoes Alien and Aliens.  They found this thing.  It promised them wonders.  They tried to control it.  It killed them.

Then we found it in one of their long-dead ships...

Vrastal

Vrastal

Ive seen a few different ideas that i like a lot. I like ot think of them as just a natural occurring creature, primordial and deadly.

Ive had the same thought that Aliens are a final step of evolution and the urns are basic dna

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Quote from: Doktor_Wunderbar on Dec 16, 2014, 03:53:25 AM
Thanks for the feedback.  But beyond even the idea that they are natural, I like to think of them as a force that no one can control - not even the "gods" who made us.

It sort of echoes Alien and Aliens.  They found this thing.  It promised them wonders.  They tried to control it.  It killed them.

Then we found it in one of their long-dead ships...

It does seem a very good way to look at them. I might even say, it's possibly the best.

Liberator

Liberator

They're supposed to be serpents of the Devil, from the Bible.

Jango1201

Jango1201

I still like to believe the aliens were creations. Its scarier to think something so deadly had to be envisioned and created to serve some purpose. What purpose is anyone's guess, but just the thought that it was felt necessary seems bizarre and quite evil.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

I agree. I also love that idea that the Aliens are creations of some kind. I don't think it devalues the creature in any way, but opens up the wider universe in regards to their creators.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'm torn.  I like to imagine the ecosystem of the aliens' homeworld as being one in which they live in symbiosis with another native species.  Perhaps some docile herbivore that has an orifice in its torso from which the aliens can emerge without killing it.

And it's only when they're removed from their native habitat that the aliens become dangerous and have no choice but to breed within hosts that are killed in the process.

Elmazalman

Elmazalman

I prefer a natural beast to something designed-mother nature's masterpiece.

The Shuriken

The Shuriken

Quote from: Elmazalman on Jan 05, 2015, 08:35:21 PM
I prefer a natural beast to something designed-mother nature's masterpiece.

That's what I like myself. Haven't some AVP comics in the past mentioned that they evolved naturally on a planet? Anyway, being natural always sat well with me. In the infinite vastness of space, life evolved to be...like the xenomorph. Perfect, unrelenting.

Master

Master

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 05, 2015, 08:28:01 AM
I agree. I also love that idea that the Aliens are creations of some kind. I don't think it devalues the creature in any way, but opens up the wider universe in regards to their creators.
Yeah, I always had the impression they are final creation that went wrong. Super weapon that destroys everything that tries to use them.

razeak

razeak

I prefer natural. :P

I really like the idea they are a force of nature rather than a designed weapon(not that I dislike that idea either). I would prefer the goo is derived from them also.

I hope they just stop trying to explain it and give us a good, though provoking sci-fi in the next Prometheus.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed