ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 386,992 times)

Seed-and-Weed

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 04, 2017, 03:01:48 AM
Quote from: TheBATMAN on May 02, 2017, 08:05:59 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 30, 2017, 08:32:08 PM
The Company didn't own the USCM at that point.

I know they didn't, hence why I said at the time the book was written.

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 02, 2017, 02:29:40 AM
The pulse rifle isn't WY tech either, and it's a 200 year old gun.
We don't know what the Resurrection weapons are like because we don't see them in action and we know next to nothing about them. :P

My point is that if the book wasn't being fan-service-centric, there'd have been better ways to frame the pulse rifle (and other things) as being The Best Ever while still being an in-universe document. Taken strictly as an in-universe document, the presentation is pretty lacking, often cotnradictory, and doesn't really have a lot of reasoning behind it. Framed as a fan-supplement book whose focus is the popular movies and the things fans like, the presentation makes a lot more sense.

The pulse rifle technically is at the time the book was written, and regardless they have access to extensive archives on the weapon, what of it? In documented encounters with the Alien it is hailed as the best ever because from what we do know it was the most effective. No issue there. A few posts back you wanted to argue a case for the resurrection weapons but now seemingly admit we know nothing about them.

I fail to see what supplementary books are not written with 'fan-service' in mind. This is nit-picking to the extreme.
If the book had said the Pulse Rifle was "apparently effective" in the single encounter it gets used in, that'd be one thing. claiming it's the best ever is like claiming in 1798 that George Washington was "the best President ever". It's an extremely limited data set, and saying it's the best ever reeks of fanservice.

We know nothing about the Resurrection weapons because the book doesn't spend any time on them, because it'd rather fellate the Pulse Rifle (a weapon that had its own chapter in the USCM Tech Manual) with a multi-page spread.

The USCM Tech Manual is real light on fan service, considering 98% of the book is fabricated from whole cloth.

It's not nit-picking when fan-service drags down the quality and impact of the finished product.
When fan-service is the book's goal, as it was with the WY Report according to the author, then yeah it's fair to say it achieved its goal.

Interesting, I did think there is a lot of fan services in book. I have only finished the Xenomorph part. It seems to be a summary of various theories I have seen before from both official or unofficial sources. And the book never comes to a conclusive decision on certain aspect of Xenos. It feels like the author is trying really hard not to offend anyone's opinion.

Also, most datas regarding to Resurrection is regarded as impure. That pretty much fits in most fans' opinion on this installment.

SM

At the time the book is written the Company doesn't have a specimen, so can't make definitive statements.

Xenomrph

I'm pretty okay with Alien books not making definitive statements about the Alien and just entertaining multiple (possibly contradictory) theories, I think it makes the Alien more interesting.

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I quite enjoying hearing them theorise without actually having any hard facts.

Rockybear

Just recived the report and I enjoyed it, with some respects.
For the first time I read a fictional report with so many supplementary inserts. These inserts are diverse fictional images, oral reports and written information WY collected from characters in the movies. It feels like I'm reading a real secret report with internal materials, as an executive in WY corporation.
CG portraits of xenomorphs are elaborate and gorgeous. Colorful arts of weapons and vihecles are no less than what Ron Cobb and Syd Mead did for Alien and Aliens.
What I don't like about this report is, many page backgrounds are just roughly assembled screenshots from the movie.

SM

Not sure what you mean by roughly assembled, but the background pictures are, by and large, stills, rather than screenshots.

locusta

Quote from: Rockybear on Jun 19, 2017, 06:26:18 AM
Just recived the report and I enjoyed it, with some respects.
For the first time I read a fictional report with so many supplementary inserts. These inserts are diverse fictional images, oral reports and written information WY collected from characters in the movies. It feels like I'm reading a real secret report with internal materials, as an executive in WY corporation.
CG portraits of xenomorphs are elaborate and gorgeous. Colorful arts of weapons and vihecles are no less than what Ron Cobb and Syd Mead did for Alien and Aliens.
What I don't like about this report is, many page backgrounds are just roughly assembled screenshots from the movie.

Many thanks for Your kind words. Really happy that it still finds friends :D

I do agree, for some pages a different choice of production still background could have been made, but time was tight to do more genuine and original art, and as well Fox insisted on the use of certain material (as the Alien Resurrection creature in the ALIENS Warrior section) and was not Editors decision.

Anyway, still hope it fulfills most fans expectations and once again have to thank everybody involved to make it come true! 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed