The Predator | Final Trailer [HD] | 20th Century FOX

Started by Tetsujin, Aug 31, 2018, 01:03:07 PM

Author
The Predator | Final Trailer [HD] | 20th Century FOX (Read 41,869 times)

The Old One

The Old One

I don't believe so.

It's far, far too away from the Alien for my tastes.
Give me phallic heads or give me death.

Wysps

Quote from: Danversity on Sep 06, 2018, 02:11:00 AM
I agree with Nathsp on that one. I don't think either of the AVP films are massive disasters, to me they're just very mediocres. I've been through worst. They do have interesting ideas, and as much as they could've worked fine in the setting and context they chose for those movies, I think it's just a much better idea in general to make it in the future.

If they do AVP again now after The Predator, I don't think I'll want a film immediately set on the future tho, because it looks like they plan to develop it across the films before making an AVP crossover, like a proper shared universe, and I'm completely down for that if they pull it off. But we'll see, this film has to be a success first.

I think this shared a sizable role in the the film's ultimate failure (among other elements of course.) While I still enjoy watching AvP(R), the stories were just...bad. I think part of the reason is due to the original stories being set in the future. The foundation was right there for them to use! So many different stories they could have chosen from, but instead they decided to come up with their own material from the outset - admirable in a way, but risky - and ultimately a story that was and has sort of always been meant to take place in the future was forced into present time. It just...doesn't go well with traditional AvP. I feel like them changing the time period just set it up for failure from the get-go  :-\ Granted, I still like the movies for entertainment purposes, but that decision did not do AvP justice.

TheBATMAN

I wonder how AVPR would have been received had it been set on some planet with a Rhyushi-like colony rather than Gunnison county and swap the teens for colonists and the national guard soldiers for colonial marines?

I would suspect even something as superficial as a change in setting would have benefited the movie a lot more. It still would have been a let down given the quality of the script I'm sure, but it would have at least felt more closer to expectation.

Having the movies set on present day earth does a massive detriment to them in my opinion.

Danversity

Danversity

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Sep 06, 2018, 07:06:31 AM
I wonder how AVPR would have been received had it been set on some planet with a Rhyushi-like colony rather than Gunnison county and swap the teens for colonists and the national guard soldiers for colonial marines?

I would suspect even something as superficial as a change in setting would have benefited the movie a lot more. It still would have been a let down given the quality of the script I'm sure, but it would have at least felt more closer to expectation.

Having the movies set on present day earth does a massive detriment to them in my opinion.

I mean, it would've been more entertaining, for sure. But unless you add depth to the characters, give the film a decent direction and a satisfying conclusion to the conflict, that doesn't make it good. It would've been better, but on a very superficial level, and I think the reception would only have been different amongst fans. Critics and general audiences would've bashed it just the same - if not more.

Ramjet311

Anyone else pick up that Coyle's first name is Hudson? Nice little nod to Bill Paxton

Predatory

Predatory

Wut?

skull-splitter

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Sep 06, 2018, 07:06:31 AM

There was a lot more wrong with that film than just the setting.

The Predator putting characters in similar situations kind of proves it.

TheBATMAN

I know there was. I'm simply saying the setting shot the film in the foot before it even got going.

But such a superficial change to bring it more in line with the rest of the franchises may at least have elevated it a little in some people's eyes.

Skittering Xenomorph

Master

These are two different shoots you know.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed