Fan Reviews

Started by RazorSlash, Feb 28, 2013, 07:52:40 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 27,140 times)

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

Even though it's just a simple mobile game, I thought some people would still like to share their thoughts on it. To start off, here are mine.

First off, let me be clear; I was looking forward to this game. I really was. I was more excited for it than I should have been, considering it's just an app. But what I ended up paying $5 for is essentially just that. An app. Because, as much as it pains me to say it, Alien vs Predator: Evolution is just barely a game.

Upon starting the game for the first time, you are only able to select "Play" or "Options". Selecting Play gives you the choice between two species. I chose the Alien, the Xenomorph, personally. You are given a loading screen introducing the first stage of the game: The Queen's Chamber. After that, you tap the screen to start, and a short cutscene plays...
...and in most cases, that's it. Because the game tends to crash here. It finally worked on my third attempt, in which I could finally take control of a Xenomorph. The mission was to protect the Queen from the attacking Super Predators. They cannot be killed by just running up and using a combo, as they attack much faster than you. Your best option is to counter. When you block an attack, the attacker gains a few brief moments of vulnerability, just enough for you to strike. And vice versa, of course. The problem here is that after deflecting an attack from the Predators, the game gets hung up, lags, and doesn't register you tried to attack back, and you end up being tossed around by the Predator worse than the Xenomorphs in AvP:R.

I had to replay this level MANY times, and I still haven't beaten it. And I don't plan to at this point. The game doesn't even have a proper Game Over screen...or maybe it does, honestly I don't know. It crashes whenever I die and I have to load everything back up again. Gameplay wise, this is a mess.

I addressed this game as an app earlier for one reason- the Store and the Customization works perfectly. You can unlock different parts of different Xenomorphs throughout the years, and mix and match the head, body, and tail to create your own customized Xeno. Admittingly, I haven't unlocked anything past a typical drone because...well...read above. But I can still look, and the parts are fairly accurate(aside from maybe the Resurrection Warrior), and are pretty cool looking.

The sound in this game is also pretty decent, and very reminiscent of the old AvP games. But, sadly, this is as far as the positives go.

In short, AVP Evolution is not worth the $5. It's not even worth it for free. It's horribly broken, laggy, and it tends to crash at every opportunity, I've even had it crash while loading the main menu once or twice. Customization would be neat, VERY neat, if I could play the game to even UNLOCK what it offers. As much as it pains me to say this, AVP Evolution, even taking into consideration that it's an app, is worse than Colonial Marines. And I mean that. I mean, CM was bad. Really bad. But atleast it ran properly. Sort of. Evolution feels sloppy and rushed, and I honestly felt like I was playing a rough prototype of a game posing as a finished product, ala Sonic '06.

Again, as much as this pains me, Version 1 of AVP Evolution gets nothing more than a 2/10, and that's ONLY because of customization and sound design.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

What device are you using?

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

5th Gen iPod Touch.

Which can run The Amazing Spider-Man, which has free-roam in an entire, rendered city and graphics that are on the same level as this. There is really no reason it should be doing this.

Cal427eb

Cal427eb

I was going to download this for my Nexus 7 but now I'm very scared I'm going to be running into these problems which will keep me from being able to play the game.

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

The game runs fine on my iPad and the first alien level you are suppose to lose. I'm really enjoying it so far worth the 5 bucks the story is good the grapics are good and it does not glitch out I reccomend this game.

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

From what I've read, the game runs fine on the iPhone 4, iPhone 5, and the iPad, but all other versions lag to shit.

Quote from: Queen7 on Feb 28, 2013, 08:47:21 PMthe first alien level you are suppose to lose.
That's just insulting, then. The game crashed literally every time I die  >:(

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Put together this review for the site, check it out here.

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

I'm sorry, but I'm dropping my initial score of v1 from a 2/10 to a 1/10, as it no longer even loads gameplay. Out of the last 10-15 attempts, it crashed at either the loading screen or opening cutscene. This game clearly isn't meant for a lot of the devices it's being sold on. Be hesitant when purchasing.

6thechapter

6thechapter

I got a Nexus 7 and the game runs great for me....no problems yet...

Enenra

Enenra

The controls are really bad and fatalities don't work on my iPhone 4.

Space7Horror

Space7Horror

My only complaint is that the attacks are slow and the character and other than that its great good story and the only reason you die in the first alien level is because the queen is supposed to be taken so the super predators can harvest her eggs.

Enenra

Enenra

What are you guys doing to make the fatalities work? Sometime I do them but usually not.

newbeing

newbeing

Quote from: Enenra on Feb 28, 2013, 10:56:47 PM
What are you guys doing to make the fatalities work? Sometime I do them but usually not.

I've found in order to get them to work you have to start from the opposite edge of the screen and do the up,left or right gesture. The little arrows do make it seem like you should pull it off with just a little flick.

skull-splitter

skull-splitter

Probably will pick it up, but Super Predators, AvP, it got all mixed up and not for the better of it...

predxeno

predxeno

This my review:

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 01, 2013, 05:57:57 AM
So far I am really not liking this game; there are a lot of glitches.  First off, there are some problems syncing achievements unlocked in-game with the Game Center; that is perhaps the most annoying.  The second problem is that the screen sometimes becomes unresponsive so when you are doing a swipe combo to finish an enemy off, the game doesn't register your action and the enemy breaks free of your grab, making the game harder than it was originally intended.  The third problem is that the game crashes somewhat frequently and is really annoying to go back to your last checkpoint especially if getting past enemies is made even more difficult by the aforementioned 2nd problem.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed