In The News

Started by DoomRulz, Nov 30, 2012, 03:53:46 AM

Author
In The News (Read 1,289,752 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Sep 30, 2021, 10:50:51 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 30, 2021, 03:12:13 AM
When a belief can damage the physical and mental integrity of other people, governments must intervene. The free speech is so overrated, and it carries great risk. I don't see the world in black and white, and I think that sometimes limits are necessary.

This is complete bullshit, but (bizarrely) I'm going to echo Huggs and say it's your right to be 200% wrong.

Note that in light of recent events on this very forum, I'll point out that this is a private dictatorship, not a free nation.

It is not so different from a state allowing parents to prevent minors from receiving blood transfusions for medical reasons due to religious beliefs, as in the case of Jehovah's Witnesses. The purpose of the state is to protect its citizens, especially minors. Sing any belief you want, the moment your beliefs endanger the lives of others it is already a crime.

Tolerance without limits can be exploited in their favor by intolerant social movements such as pro racism / homophobic ideologies. Unlimited free speech from dangerous ideologies is not a harmless game. Your words are like the fallacy of equality.  :laugh:

Or maybe I see some ideologies similar to how you see pitbull. But the strangest thing is that you act as if the only thing that matters is that a group of dangerously irrational people use communication channels to spread disinformation to the masses, during a pandemic that has killed millions! This is not another day on the third planet of the solar system, and the anti-vaccination groups are not a harmless joke like the flat Earthers. Especially taking into account the contingency we're living now.

Having said that, I am 200% disagree with you.  :laugh:

426Buddy

426Buddy

I think people just woefully misunderstand freedom of speech. Or they don't care and just want to believe what they want.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

In the same way that people seem to forget the pandemic. I am not against free speech itself. But I think that massive media plataforms like YouTube would do the right thing by not allowing their channels to be used to spread disinformation from ideologies that can become harmful during the pandemic.

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 30, 2021, 11:20:01 AM
Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 30, 2021, 03:12:13 AM
When a belief can damage the physical and mental integrity of other people, governments must intervene. The free speech is so overrated, and it carries great risk. I don't see the world in black and white, and I think that sometimes limits are necessary.

This is complete bullshit, but (bizarrely) I'm going to echo Huggs and say it's your right to be 200% wrong.

Note that in light of recent events on this very forum, I'll point out that this is a private dictatorship, not a free nation.

It is not so different from a state allowing parents to prevent minors from receiving blood transfusions for medical reasons due to religious beliefs, as in the case of Jehovah's Witnesses. The purpose of the state is to protect its citizens, especially minors. Sing any belief you want, the moment your beliefs endanger the lives of others it is already a crime.

Tolerance without limits can be exploited in their favor by intolerant social movements such as pro racism / homophobic ideologies. Unlimited free speech from dangerous ideologies is not a harmless game. Your words are like the fallacy of equality.  :laugh:

Or maybe I see some ideologies similar to how you see pitbull. But the strangest thing is that you act as if the only thing that matters is that a group of dangerously irrational people use communication channels to spread disinformation to the masses, during a pandemic that has killed millions! This is not another day on the third planet of the solar system, and the anti-vaccination groups are not a harmless joke like the flat Earthers. Especially taking into account the contingency we're living now.

You might be misunderstanding my intent. If it were up to me, I'd physically remove everyone who disagreed with me - so it's a good thing for most people it's not up to me! But if we're going to allow the comforting lies of the religious or the bloodsucking exploitation of business with just "debate" as opposition, we have to allow assholes like anti-vaxxers or neo-fascists the same privileges because if anything they're less destructive than the aforementioned institutions. In other words, I'm well aware of your arguments and consider them to be very weak arguments in light of the shit we already have to tolerate - we will not agree on this  I'm afraid.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

It's not about you or me. They are protocols to combat the pandemic. Who cares about your opinion, or mine. Who cares if Cancer Black wanted to eliminate those who disagree with him. :laugh: The anti-vaxxers can express themselves freely, but limiting their communication channels is a good measure to stop the spread of missinformarion.

When it comes to health and safety politics to reduce the risk of getting COVID-19 and the spread of misinformation about treatment and disease, the lesser of two evils principle is totally out of place.

Quote from: Huggs on Sep 30, 2021, 03:16:39 AM
And I wholeheartedly support your right to say that jonesy.

;)

Yeah why not  :laugh:

426Buddy

426Buddy

I think the current wild west of misinformation in general is more dangerous than taking away the platforms these folks are using to reach millions of people.

Pretty sure giving the bullhorn to misinformation and presenting it alongside real factual information is degrading society at a pretty quick pace.

I mean half the United States thinks the last election was stolen based on absolutely zero facts or evidence. God d*mn we are stupid.

SiL

SiL

This isn't entirely fair given that certain platforms are closer to essential infrastructure at this point, and kicking dipshits off them just creates ever-more extreme dipshits who you can't keep tabs on as easily.
Because keeping tabs on people through YouTube and Facebook has done anything to curb the rise of conspiracy theorists and extremists so far ... ? Hell, those platforms and their algorithms are one of the reasons people are becoming more extreme.

Deplatforming views that promote harm is not the slippery slope everyone tried to make it out to be.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Wysps

Wysps

https://www.reuters.com/world/china/china-liberalise-thermal-power-pricing-tackle-energy-crisis-2021-10-12/

https://energyfuse.org/making-sense-of-the-energy-crunch/

"Analysts and traders have been forecasting a 12% cut in industrial power consumption in the fourth quarter due to shortages of coal over the winter."

Good things to come this winter  :-\  I hope this is a growing pain that is short lived, it seems like this has more to do with just a perfect storm of events.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Kradan

Huggs

Huggs

[cancerblack]

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed